Nut Chat

bob123

Not intended to be a debate thread. Simply curious about your "go to" nut material and why you choose it. Each seems to have its own benefits and drawbacks, and i have read and listened to people like Mr. Smith discuss nut materials, but a down to earth discussion about what you choose would be cool.

Recently, used a brass nut for a telecaster build. I've never played a brass nut guitar before, and I must say, the look is cool, but I dont see all the hub bub about the "brightness" of it. Sounds pretty similar to my graphite nut telecaster with similar woods (only difference is the rosewood fretboard). For ease of use and quality, I don't think I will be using brass again, pain in the arse to get it sanded to the right height.

Graphite seems to be the best choice for me. Plastic in feel, but has a bright, chimey tone that works well for my style. Easy to work on too if you need to.

I am finishing up a multi scale guitar right now and have decided, after cutting a nut for it, that I'm going to do the zero fret thing, at least for multi scales. Then the nut is just for string direction with the height already taken care of by the zero fret. I like the tusq nuts that are out there, but bone is nice too. I don't worry about the tone of the nut much, as it has its largest effect only with open strings.

I like the tusq nuts that are out there, but bone is nice too. I don't worry about the tone of the nut much, as it has its largest effect only with open strings.

The nut will also affect tuning stability, so its more than just about the open string tone.

I like Tusq, more specifically, Tusq XL and Black Tusq. They're consistent, slippery, easy to shape and last a long time. Its the only nut material I use.

I do worry about lubricity of the nut, just not the tone so much. For trem guitars, black tusqXL is my go-to. I've never tried graphite. Then again, I rarely do trem equipped guitars, which is why I don't have to worry much about the lubricity.

I do worry about lubricity of the nut, just not the tone so much. For trem guitars, black tusqXL is my go-to. I've never tried graphite. Then again, I rarely do trem equipped guitars, which is why I don't have to worry much about the lubricity.

Perhaps, but if you're going to stock up on nuts, might as well get the Tusq XL or Black Tusq XL. There's really no point in getting the regular Tusq.