Gibson ES-137 Scale Length

Hi, does anyone have a Gibson ES-137?

I'm wondering what the scale length is and I'm getting mixed information. One source says 24 3/4" others say 24" and another says the same as a Les Paul

It would be great if someone has one, could you tell me what it measures from the Nut to the 12th Fret and from the Nut to the 22nd fret. If its the same as a Les Paul it should be about 312mm and 450mm, respectively

The ES-137 might have come out with different scale lengths and if anyone knows it would be great to hear from you

cheers

From the horses mouth:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/ES-137-Classic/Features.aspx

24"

I mean...they build the guitar after all.

this is a common "thing" with Gibson guitars- depending on model, style and year- it could vary. Les Paul scale length variances are well documented- but the ES line less so. You didnt read wrong Crusader- from the same Gibson site- if you look at the "classic" vs the memphis model- the memphis model has 24 3/4 listed.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/1959-ES-175/Specs.aspx

probably the only way to know is (hope) to find a book or site documenting the ES models over the years, or as you say- measure one if you can get your hands on it and its the style you want to know about.

Hey its all good

I followed the link and once there I looked around. I opened up the specs on a few 335s and some were 24" and others 24.75" Now I'm pretty sure all 335s would have the same scale length, so I think its a misprint

I have seen one ES-137 and know for sure its a bit shorter than a Les Paul, probably 24.5" I just wish it was a colour I like

well- there were variations within the "24.75 scale"- depending on year and model- stewmac lists this scale

gibson_timeline.gif

I have a flying V book around somewhere and I think there were some changes from the old 50s models to the 67 if I recall- but I cant find where that book is at the moment- so- point being- there could be some fluctuation but I agree with you- the 24 sounds sketchy- I thought the only other model that was short was the byrdland- which is 23.5- which I always thought how strange it was that ted nugent played one for so long- considering he is a rather tall guy and appears to have largish hands. I always liked fender scales (as I have stout fingers aka stubs)

Malcolm Young's Grestch has a rather short scale length too, and he uses very heavy gauge strings. So it would be interesting to know what Ted uses

I haven't had a '54 but the difference between the other Gibson scale lengths is minute. I've had both and measured them fanatically. The scale length of the 137 that I've seen is noticeably shorter, but not that much. Btw I've got stout fingers too, LOL

D. Stout

well- I go nuts when a trivia question like this comes up and I am one of those that "needs to know" so my brain will quiet down. So- I called Gibson. They do not have any 24" scales for ES series guitars. Those are misprints on their website. The guy I spoke with appeared to know what he was talking about (aka- wasnt a script reading call center type). He acknowledge the differences as listed on the stew-mac website for older models. he stated that all 137s, 175s, 335s lucielles, etc currently produced are 24 3/4 scale- he mentioned the archtop series has various scale lengths- ie- the byrdland at 23.50- the L-5s and super 400 at (he slipped and said fender scale.....ooops) we got a laugh out of that. anyway-for what its worth.

And now I'm glad i didn't write a snotty part about "hey trust the guys that build the frickin' guitar". I would have looked even more stupid than I usually does

And now I'm glad i didn't write a snotty part about "hey trust the guys that build the frickin' guitar". I would have looked even more stupid than I usually does

You would think you should be able to trust what they say. You would think a company like Gibson would have quality control in place to make sure mistakes like that dont occur- but it seems they are constantly having QC issues. I was just reading the other day about the big snafu they had with the Ace Frehley Les Paul going out the door with the wrong pickups from what was listed as spec(the "300" if you want to google it). Nice job. Have people pay a premium on a guitar and then dont get it right and let it fly out the door anyway. That sort of stuff is just unacceptable in my book.

I have loved les pauls and Vs since I was a kid, and I especially love the ES-355. I was tempted as hell to buy one of the Alex Lifeson models when they came out- but I refused to because- it was a modern era GIBSON. I purchased arched plates a few years back and plan on building my own one of these days. (ok I kinda still wish I bought it- but- sticking with my principles. Gibson just seems more about money than quality these days at least in my book)

Ok- obviously its my time of the month.....whew- rant over.

They are still just as consistent and have the same quality or better of any other mass produced guitar.I've had everything from USA Jacksons to ESP to Ibanez to Gibson(and everything in between) and they ALL have serious QC issues...

Gibson is still my favorite of the mass produced guitars.A good Gibson is a truly great guitar.