Finally

Where did you get tha picture? Fender's 50th birthday was in 1996. I know that because I have a 50 years Fender anniversary strat with a gold plate on the back confirming that fact. Therefore I think this plate is definately NOT made by Fender and it seems to give little improvement in terms of reducing the bulky heel anyway.

i agree, the cut off corner hardly does anything - plus fender have tried it before in late 80's in the heavy metal strat series (24 fret, maple f/b, FR) and i played one of them and it was hardly better then a normal strat heel

Where did you get tha picture? Fender's 50th birthday was in 1996. I know that because I have a 50 years Fender anniversary strat with a gold plate on the back confirming that fact. Therefore I think this plate is definately NOT made by Fender and it seems to give little improvement in terms of reducing the bulky heel anyway.

the strats 50th birthday, not fenders....

It's the strat's 50th birthday as stated by Rhoads.

This plate is made by Fender. Check your facts....

i have so much respect for the strat it comes out of my eyeballs. it was one of the first great sounding electrics if not the first. i just wanted to state that.

Well i think its an out dated piece of crap, which has been bettered by every other manufacturer out there. How they can charge what they do for the top end models is beyond comprehension.

Well i think its an out dated piece of crap, which has been bettered by every other manufacturer out there. How they can charge what they do for the top end models is beyond comprehension.

Think twice before you post such a nonsense. The Strat is the greatest guitar design EVER. It was invented 50 years ago and it is still a great guitar. The only important improvements to e-guitars since Leo invented the Strat are Humbuckers and Floyds. Both are in no way neccessary and most of them are simply a matter of taste. Whats the reason that the biggest portion of guitars sold are strats and strat copies? Because they are a piece of crap? Why do you think so many great players play them? The Strat is the most important and influential guitar of this century. And if you don't like Strats thats another thing, but that does not make them crap.

I can't believe you said that. I'm a professional musician and who the hell are you to tell me that my tools are pieces of crap?

That comment was very immature and completely unnecessary.

I don't wanna be caught in the middle of this but I really don't like this kind of remarks.

I'm a real Gibson player but I also have a Stratocaster ( 25 year anniversary) and the guitar has been beaten around alot but it is a fine guitar and still is!

If a Fender guitar is in your opinion a 'piece of crap' that's okay but choose your words a little more carefully.

Guest AlexVDL
...the greatest guitar design EVER...

okay he was wrong, but don't exaggerate please.....

The only important improvements to e-guitars since Leo invented the Strat are Humbuckers and Floyds. Both are in no way neccessary

That's bull and you know that... i.e. tuning stability (think of people who want to do divebombs), try that on a fender vintage trem! What about full rich tone and no noise, for a lot of people humbuckers are definately neccessary! What about neck thru, isn't that a good invention? :D

Why do you think so many great players play them?

Maybe because of that senseless stuff you just said... lots of people think the same way "it was the first e-guitar ever so it must be THE BEST design and BEST SOUND" I think it's kinda dumb, but that my opinion B)

The Strat is the most important and influential guitar of this  century

That's your opinion... better say "one of the most, not THE most" :D

Whats the reason that the biggest portion of guitars sold are strats and strat copies?

Because they're cheap and simple to build... :D

I just wanted to say that it was a stupid thing rhoads said, but your comment wasn't that true either. It's all about taste, just like you said about the floyds and humbuckers :D

@Alex: Please reread your whole post and ask yourself if it makes sense at all.

I have no problem with correct critique, but if someone does not even read my post or think about what it could have ment and posts a follow up which is more of an stupid rant then a mindfull answer then I get really angry.

okay he was wrong, but don't exaggerate please.....

I still stand to that statement. The Strat is by far the solidbody guitar with the most sales and the most copied design. It is 50 years old and still played by a big percentage of players worldwide. No guitar was sold more often. This should be evidence enough of the quality of the design. If you think otherwise please tell me which guitar is more popular.

That's bull and you know that... i.e. tuning stability (think of people who want to do divebombs), try that on a fender vintage trem! What about full rich tone and no noise, for a lot of people humbuckers are definately neccessary! What about neck thru, isn't that a good invention?

Please reread my post. I wrote that they are not neccessary. I never wrote that a Fender trem is very tuning stable nor did I say that Humbuckers have no use. Surely a Floyd is better for tuning stability and humbuckers have their advatages, but both are in no way crucial to playing electric guitar and have the same amount of disadvantages then advantages. That said I play Floyds myself and like them very much. But in the whole picture the way an electric guitar works was outlined by the Strat and the things that came since then are really minor improvements.

Maybe because of that senseless stuff you just said... lots of people think the same way "it was the first e-guitar ever so it must be THE BEST design and BEST SOUND" I think it's kinda dumb, but that my opinion

Another stupid rant by you. I never said that I think that way. I play many different guitars and in no way do I say that I think a Strat is the best guitar ever. I just stated that it was the greatest invention in electric guitars and the biggest step forward. A design that passes the test of time for 50 years without major modifications simply is a great design. Additionally the Strat was NOT the first electric guitar....

That's your opinion... better say "one of the most, not THE most"

I won't do that. The Strat was the first guitar which was sold in big numbers and the guitar that made playing electric guitar as popular as it is today.

Because they're cheap and simple to build...

Thats true, but if they were that bad you could not sell them.

Guest AlexVDL
@Alex: Please reread your whole post and ask yourself if it makes sense at all... etc.

okay now we should take it to the rant section... don't want to hijack Coen's thread