The most beautiful guitars!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Wes.

There is a way to properly do it, and it's easy.

And if you don't have a hosting site of your own by now, then your lame anyway, there's completely free hosters out there.

Download it into -your- computer, resize it to proper size, upload it into -your- hoster, then link to that, or paste from that, ...not the site of origin.

If you can't take the extra 5 minutes to do that, your acting like a baby anyway, we all know the rules by now. Acting like you still don't makes you look like a moron to me and I can't take you as trying to be a serious guitar builder and if I find you asking questions I probably wouldn't bother to offer an answer (if I had one).

I don't need to go out of my way to type long and detailed answers to people who wouldn't bother to follow them, who don't have the inner discipline to follow instructions, anyway.

Building a good, playable, intonatable, attractive guitar takes a lot of discipline, it's not a weekend affair by any stretch, and doing crap like this shows a lack of discipline, besides acting like a spoiled brat/baby, which tells me any of your projects will probably look like turdpies anyway if you have no self-discipline and cannot follow instructions.

Just a quick question/comment. I posted a link to the TimTone site instead of just grabbing and posting individual links to pictures. You seem to be saying that it's OK to grab the pic, save it, alter it by resizing, and then hosting the pics on your own, so its your bandwidth being used. yes? But, I can only imagine (of course I really can't speak for him) that the Timtone guy would want people to somehow associate his guitar with his site, if for no other reason than for the sake of good advertising. For instance, I would much rather have someone look at my original picture at www.timtone.com/mypic.jpg, rather than a smaller version of my pic being hosted at some www.geocities.com/xyz/mypic.jpg website. Who knows if someone lurking on this site sees a custom guitar, wants to look into buying one, but can't because the pic is hosted at someplace other than the craftsman's own site, therefore all association between maker and guitar is lost.

anyhow, it sounds like this topic has been beaten to death, but it was unclear in my mind why the hotlinking to pics on other sites was a no-no.

-Scott

This is hot-linking:

classic%2BdeepcTS.jpg

This is a link to a pic:

http://www.tremol-no.com/classic%2BdeepcTS.jpg

All you have to do is copy & paste the URL into the preview, and the board software automatically turns it into a link.

Painless.

Gnome- You're kinda right. Pics hosted by you should be YOUR pics and not the property of someone else. Like this:

http://www.joeschmoesguitarshop.com/projec...roject-vee1.jpg

Which is a pic of an actual project that Joe Schmoe is working on.

The pic should NOT be the same one found at:

http://www.gibson.com/guitars/FlyingVee1.jpg

...that Joe Schmoe simply saved, re-sized, then uploaded to his server and is now linking to.

That pic belongs to Gibson. They can (and knowing Gibson these days, probably will) come after you.

The Admin here can't stop that, but we can ask our members to not do that.

Believe me- If a manufacturer comes to Brian, you guys will hear about it. :-)

It's only 10AM and I'm pretty sure this is the dumbest thing I will read all day.

no, the dumbest thing ive heard all day is a rule that caters to .1% of all internet users. im sorry, but broadband has been in circulation for the last few YEARS. if you dont have it, then YOU are the minority and should bow down to people that pay for good internet.

so if your still running 56k and 640x480 then you aren't to bright. and the rules of the whole forums worldwide shouldnt cater around 10 or so people of the hundreds.

and your an idiot if you came in here and didnt expect pictures, i mean, seriously look at the topic of this thread. oh wow there are large pictures in here? damn that really takes up all my screen, i better make a rule so that everyone has to do what i want to see. BS.

thats just stupid. i came to this thread to see pictures, not see a bunch of frickin links. if everyone posted links it would take about 200x as long to click thru and open a new window on each. just a waste of everyones time.

so. i say post all the pics you can. and the people that are living like it was 15 yrs ago can EAT IT.

It's only 10AM and I'm pretty sure this is the dumbest thing I will read all day.

no, the dumbest thing ive heard all day is a rule that caters to .1% of all internet users. im sorry, but broadband has been in circulation for the last few YEARS. if you dont have it, then YOU are the minority and should bow down to people that pay for good internet.

so if your still running 56k and 640x480 then you aren't to bright. and the rules of the whole forums worldwide shouldnt cater around 10 or so people of the hundreds.

and your an idiot if you came in here and didnt expect pictures, i mean, seriously look at the topic of this thread. oh wow there are large pictures in here? damn that really takes up all my screen, i better make a rule so that everyone has to do what i want to see. BS.

thats just stupid. i came to this thread to see pictures, not see a bunch of frickin links. if everyone posted links it would take about 200x as long to click thru and open a new window on each. just a waste of everyones time.

so. i say post all the pics you can. and the people that are living like it was 15 yrs ago can EAT IT.

bla bla bla...you are acting like a child and being foolish.you sound just like every preteen on the net right now

by the way ,einstein,just so you know there are places where broadband is not available(it only became available where i live about 2 years ago)

and if you are too lazy to click on a link,i feel sorry for you

bla bla bla...you are acting like a child and being foolish.you sound just like every preteen on the net right now

by the way ,einstein,just so you know there are places where broadband is not available(it only became available where i live about 2 years ago)

and if you are too lazy to click on a link,i feel sorry for you

acting like a child? how? i just posted some facts that you cant deny are true. and your response shows your lack of reasoning and lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

dont blame me if your computer sucks. now watch as i post some huge pics.

Well, since it's after midnight, I was right.

When 99.9% of internet users visit this Forum, I'm sure we'll have bigger issues than pics in posts.

Let me get this right- you're telling the SITE OWNER here to bow down before you?

Oh, this I gotta see.....

The rules cater to the entire forum. Not just you. Sorry.

(BTW- It's "too bright".)

On this forum, you post links.

I run a couple of pretty badazz machines, with a 17" LCD on the PC and a 19" LCD on the Mac. Monitor size isn't why pics are to be 600x. Nice guess though.

And for the record, *I* didn't make the rules about pics. It was a joint effort between Brian, myself and the other moderators. You probably haven't used this term, but it's what we call a "team".

And if everyone posted 600x pics for each and every guitar, we'd be scrolling through this thread until the end of time.

If you're too lazy to click on a link, then there's not much help for you. Pack the computer back up and take it back to the store. Try a nice juicer instead. Maybe one of those massage chairs.

Indeed. Post links to all the pics you want. Go nutty. 15 years ago, I was on a Mac Classic II, with a Hayes 9600 modem. It would take me 2 DAYS to download a 200K pic of Sherry Arnett. If you're gonna slam, try to get your facts correct.

Whoa, Billy Gates.....slow down. You're already in a heap of trouble. When you're in a hole this big, stop diggin'.....

acting like a child? how? i just posted some facts that you cant deny are true. and your response shows your lack of reasoning and lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

dont blame me if your computer sucks. now watch as i post some huge pics.

Dude, no one is blaming you for anything other than acting like a 4 yr. old who's mom wouldn't buy him the candy bar.

And, if that last line is a threat, try me. You know the rules. If you break them, you're gone. It's very simple.

...so if your still running 56k and 640x480 then you aren't to bright...

Oh no! I sure hope I don't lose my Mensa membership for using dialup! :D Your arrogance is charming, but your lack of awareness is unfortunately typical of your developmental level. Stay or go, as you wish, just please stop wasting bandwidth on making yourself feel superior - remember, some of us are on dialup connections. B)

kevan,,,

allright hard-a$$.

let me just sum it up like this. im a member of several large forums. how large you ask? steam gaming forums, ls2.com, ect.

ls2.com is #300 (off the top of my head) on the biggest list of UBB forums in the WORLD. they have over 2million+ post. and does anyone get BS over there about posting pictures? well.....NOPE. so it seems a little silly that around here, with the 10 regular members, that we are getting complained at for posting pics. seriously now. you guys are letting something like these new rules run alot of people off, and stirring up un-needed controversy over something so miniscule. just let people post their damn pictures. if they dont like scrolling down through a couple of them then they need to pop a couple more pills from their ADD perscription.

lovekraft- i respect your opinion.....but when i used to be on 56k i wouldnt dream about going to a forum like this if i was in a hurry for load time. but if you want ultra-fast loading then there is always USEnet message boards. you know, the ones where you cant post pics.

its called "the price you have to pay". i shouldnt be driving a Yugo around on the interstate and be yelling at people "slow down, my car can only go so fast". thats silly. take the back road (AKA dont complain when you jump in a huge thread that has pics on it)

not that big of a deal. no need to raise a fuss over.

Edited by asm

Is every topic going to degenerate into this squabbling about rules? How tedious.

I run a number of largeish forums, and in my experience the more draconian you get with the rules, the more crap it produces. I'll bet the large number of argumentative posts as a result of your new regime have hit your bandwidth too, as well as reducing membership. Plus you've just given yourself a hell of a lot more work.

I know it's none of my business, but as a forum member I thought I would be permitted to give my opinion.

im a member of several large forums.
That's nice..., guess that's where you acquired your diplomacy skills. B)

how large you ask?
I don't remember anybody asking, but OK, tell us.

ls2.com is #300 (off the top of my head) on the biggest list of UBB forums in the WORLD. they have over 2million+  post.
And can they show you how to refret and bind a Les Paul neck? Great, then you won't have to bother with all the slow, stupid people over here - you can just ask them!

you guys are letting something like these new rules run alot of people off, and stirring up un-needed controversy over something so miniscule.
The people who have left did what they felt they had to - of the remaining crew (all 10 of us regular members :D ), you seem to be the one "stirring up un-needed controversy". If it's a miniscule issue, why are you wasting so much passion on it?

lovekraft- i respect your opinion.....but when i used to be on 56k i wouldnt dream about going to a forum like this if i was in a hurry for load time.
Again, I'm afraid you're confused about the role you're playing here - you don't make the rules here because you don't pay the bills, it's really that simple! To use your analogy, this is the back road, because Brian wants it that way. If things move too slow for you, downshift, or head for the Interstate. You don't have to like everything about the way this forum works, but a grown man has to decide to either live with the rules or go away - you just need to make up your mind. I mean no personal disrespect, but these tantrums are a waste of your effort. In the immortal words of my old man, "Suck it up, Sparky!".

You're not helping yourself - every post you make reinforces your cluelessness and self-absorption. When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you need to do is stop digging! :D

Oh FFS!

The image linking rule is nothing to do with our bandwidth - it's an issue of politeness to the original owners of the pics. This site gets a lot of traffic, and as such it's pretty lame to link to images on other folks pages, which steals their bandwidth without anyone actually visiting their page.

OK Brainiac?

kevan,,,

allright hard-a$$.

You got that right.

let me just sum it up like this. im a member of several large forums. how large you ask? steam gaming forums, ls2.com, ect.
Wow. Crazy. And I'm a member over on a site that gets 2 million hits A DAY. But I don't run around there pouting about their rules, or wasting everyones time there by bitching/moaning about their rules.

ls2.com is #300 (off the top of my head) on the biggest list of UBB forums in the WORLD. they have over 2million+  post. and does anyone get BS over there about posting pictures? well.....NOPE. so it seems a little silly that around here, with the 10 regular members, that we are getting complained at for posting pics. seriously now. you guys are letting something like these new rules run alot of people off, and stirring up un-needed controversy over something so miniscule.
I'm so happy that ls2.com has the server/host they do, and the members all have T1 lines hard-wired to their ears, and have the time that they do, to do all that. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the true glory....

*wipes*

Now, here at ProjectGuitar.com, the forum is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. It's a DIFFERENT site (thus the change in the URL in your browser window when you click the link in your Favorites), with DIFFERENT people, and completely DIFFERENT topics of conversation. It's hosted DIFFERENTLY, has a DIFFERENT owner, and DIFFERENT RULES.

No one is holding a gun to your head to come here and abide by the rules. If you choose to break them, you're warned, then if need be, suspended, and if it continues after that, you're banned. It's really very simple.

just let people post their damn pictures.
Sure! PLEASE post pics! Just do it within the rules of the site.

And if the pic posting rules here are just too much for you to take, go over to Perry or Litch's forum and start your massive "hot-linked pics only" thread. Let me know how long it lasts.

if they dont like scrolling down through a couple of them then they need to pop a couple more pills from their ADD perscription.
a couple????

Dude, are you kidding? There were more than THREE HUNDRED pics in one thread on this site (Carrieburst). About 98% of them were hot-linked. That thread was TWENTY-FOUR pages long, before I blew an entire Sunday and cleaned it up (now it's 19 pages). You want to sift thru all that? How about we give you a nice, unstable, 56K connection (really only 44.1) and a loaded 486 with a 14" monitor (13.1" viewable) and you can read thru, make sure you're not duplicate-posting, and post in that thread. Sounds like fun to me! Wait for all those pics from ER's site to load....esp. when previewing your post a couple of times...oh look- I baked a cake!

Now who's wasting who's time?

not that big of a deal. no need to raise a fuss over.
If it's not that big of a deal, why do you put up a new thread CLEARLY violating the rules you were JUST TOLD not to break, and why do you continue to banter on about it?

Alexander- Your opinion is always welcome, esp. when it's phrased as you have- clear, concise, and to the point(s).

I happen to think you're right- it is all a waste of time and bandwidth. But this is not a "regime"; It's 4 guys trying their best to have the best guitar/project-based forum on the 'net. Is it hard work? Sure...but I don't mind. What I do mind is that I don't have time to check out the rest of the Forum (where things are moving along as if none of this crap happens). Membership here isn't down, at all. Content in threads is way up, esp. the good stuff from amateurs and pros alike.

The way people make out the rule changes you'd think we had asked for both a kidney *and* an eye. In actuality, they are VERY minor changes...that the rest of the Forum members have adapted to without any difficulty.

Setch- you are correct.

Thanks Kevan - I appreciate your standpoint and I'm sure things will settle down soon enough as people either accept and abide by the new rules, or vote with their feet.

"Regime" was probably the wrong word!

The thing is, like in all things, everyone has different ways of working - we don't all build guitars in the same way, nor would we all run a forum in the same way. I think it's fair to say when this place was started it was hoped it would become as big and busy as possible, which would of course mean larger bills for bigger servers, more bandwidth etc. For my part, I accept this and just keep paying the bills (provided people aren't taking the mickey by abusing the privilege of file uploads etc). As far as hotlinking to other images is concerned, my viewpoint has always been, if they're already on someone's free webspace there's no foul, and if they're from a commercial luthier or company, if they become concerned with the amount of hotlinks to their images, they'll watermark the images so that every hotlinked image is an advert for their site/products.

Dialup users, I'm pretty sure, will be prepared to wait to view large pages - certainly, I've only been on broadband for a couple of years, but 56k did me fine, I just had more patience, especially when I was waiting for something good, and it doesn't get much better than a nice big pic of a tasty axe.

So basically, you're right to run this place how you like, as you're obviously prepared to put in the time to defend your decisions (repeatedly!) and vet virtually every post for transgressions. But speaking personally, I like the easy life! Most forums I find are self-regulating, and the more moderation you apply, the more people will rebel against it. That said, this is still a great resource and I've learned practically everything I know about guitar building from here, but I'll probably steer clear for a few months to let all this squabbling calm down.

Again, just my 2p so please feel free to disregard.

Edited by Alexander

Oh FFS!

The image linking rule is nothing to do with our bandwidth - it's an issue of politeness to the original owners of the pics. This site gets a lot of traffic, and as such it's pretty lame to link to images on other folks pages, which steals their bandwidth without anyone actually visiting their page.

OK Brainiac?

funny you say that cause my thread in "in progress worked" just got LOCKED due to pictures. and im pretty sure they were on MY server i pay for. hmmmmm

ASM, I was referring to the image linking issue being discussed in this discussion, not the forum rules in general.

As for your other thread, define 'locked'.

It still appears as open to me, as does this thread, which you described as locked earlier. Funny how you're posting in it and all... or does locked mean something different when it's typed in capitals and accompanied with an air of indignant martydom?

you are allowed one image per post if it is on a hosting site...

What does this mean? Am I breaking the rules when I post 8+ pics at a time of my in-progress work? (Warning! I am a lamer when it comes to this posting stuff. I only recently discovered how to get free image hosting. This whole computer thing is just a fad anyway!) :D

Could someone provide me a link to the full forum rules? Or just a really concise, yet elementary explanation of what "one image per post" means.

Man, I was jazzed at the first two pages of this thread; was going to bookmark this one (beautiful guitars are more of an inspiration to most of us than bandwidth-geek issues) but the last 2 pages are just too ponderous to bear further mention.

Kevan, if you can end up cleaning up this thread, I think it will give people some great ideas for projects.

It still appears as open to me, as does this thread, which you described as locked earlier. Funny how you're posting in it and all... or does locked mean something different when it's typed in capitals and accompanied with an air of indignant martydom?

seriously man i didnt say anything to you. so dont get smart ass with me.

this thread was locked and thats when i started the other one, which was locked, and now is erased.

and my thread in 'in progress....' section was locked for about 2 days. and i pm'ed brian with my concerns and now it is un-locked.

so before mouthing off and trying to look witty about something your not up to date on please dont be not cool like that.

and i believe all of these post should be erased. to bad we can just have a cool thread filled with cool pics of guitars. sad its spawned into this.

Hey are we going to get back to the point of this thread or what? I was loving this one B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D