Camphor and Alder Single Cut Bass

• 3 weeks later...

Ā 

Happy New Year everyone!!!!Ā :D

The over-staying overstaying seasonal visitors are gone at last (lovely to see them...but not for THAT long!!! Ā :lol:) so started to head towards finishing this build.

These shots make it look further along than it actually is, but I have started using a bit of Tru-oil as a sand-mark highlighter and sealer (it will eventually beĀ wipe-on poly varnished).

I have also inset a couple of slivers of ebony into the camphor pickup covers - trying just camphor actually detracted from the top rather than enhanced it, just ebony would have been a bit 'normal' so thought I'd try a half and half...

QrgjlSHl.jpg

Ā 

PJQ49gql.jpg

Ā 

I have to say, I really pleased how this is panning out - single-cut basses can be downright ugly, but this one is starting to gain a degree ofĀ elegance I was not entirely expectingĀ :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
typo

Bit more progressĀ 

With enough coatings of varnish to protect the body during the handling involved, I have turned my attention to the fretting. Ā There will be quite a few more coats of varnish before it's finished, but this is it after just 3-4, wiped on in my slightly unconventional style. Ā :

ykOEu66l.jpg

I then re-sanded the fretboard, checked and cleared the fret slots, opened the tops of the fret slots a touch with a triangular needle file and then installed the frets using a touch of titebond alongĀ the tang and the time honoured method of hammer one side, hammer the other side, hammer the middle, pop the radius block over the seated fret and hammer the c**p out of it a bit more for luck. Ā Here they are, clipped but not yet fret-ended:

6rqEqTul.jpg

I've since dressed the fret-ends, so next stages are toĀ insert the luminlay side dots, level,Ā recrown and polish the frets and then finish off the varnishing :)

I only published it yesterday. Yeah, Luminlay is somewhat expensive. Making your own costs more than what buying one set does, however the materials produce something like (I guess) ten times as much. Sourcing a good price on the luminescent powder is the key. You'll probably have more luck finding a good localĀ price in the UK. I bought from elsewhere in the EU. Equally, you've got a better choice of epoxies and casting resins on your doorstep.

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I only published it yesterday. Yeah, Luminlay is somewhat expensive. Making your own costs more than what buying one set does, however the materials produce something like (I guess) ten times as much. Sourcing a good price on the luminescent powder is the key. You'll probably have more luck finding a good localĀ price in the UK. I bought from elsewhere in the EU. Equally, you've got a better choice of epoxies and casting resins on your doorstep.

Great article, @ProsthetaĀ 

Too late for this build but I'll certainly experiment with future builds. Ā I wonder if I can get my logo 'swifts' to glow in the darkĀ :D

Ā 

In the meantime, the final finishing phases are ongoing with the bass. Ā I'mĀ wipingĀ on thinned polyurethane varnish. Ā A bit slower with a thru-neck than a bolt-on as I am doing one side at a time (with wipe-on, it's a lot more consistent if you apply it flat) but lets me do other stuff while each coat is drying...and the other stuff at the moment is a dreadnought acousticĀ :)Ā 

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I was talking to @curtisaĀ about machining inlay moulds into HDPE or other plastic. Corner radii are always an issue with that of course. Other options are to make a master inlay, create a negativeĀ mould with Sugru, Formcard or whatever and then mould inlays as described.

Interesting stuff. Ā For small batches ofĀ intricate shapes, maybe also good-old-fashioned plaster of paris.?

9 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Epoxy will stick to that like hell!

:lol:Ā Ā True - but I was thinking sacrificial like an cast metal resinated sand mould...hence only for small batch stuff.Ā Ā 

I can see the plaster being a beggar to chip off the relatively soft epoxy, mind youĀ :rolleyes:

Just doing what I hope is the final coatĀ of varnish on the back and the neck - although with my unconventional wipe-on technique, you can never be sure until it's fully dry. Ā Just before I did, I couldn't resist some mock-up shots:

IMG_7084_zpsnocer8zb.jpgĀ Ā Ā 

IMG_7085_zpsb1m4goxh.jpg

IMG_7091_zpslt17efga.jpg

IMG_7090_zpsln0wcuno.jpg

Ā 

IMG_7096_zpsftfmcoje.jpg

Assuming the finish is OK, a week to fully harden and then I can finish the fret dressing and hardware installation.

While the varnish has been drying, I've been making a bit more progress on the dreadnought acoustic I'm doing for our old-gits-band's vocalist as a surprise present for his 'special' birthday in July. Ā Plenty of time for me to c**k it up and start againĀ ;):

IMG_7065_zps3vd2a4oa.jpgĀ 

Ā 

42 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That bass is looking impressive with the finish on it......and the dreadnought has some impressive looking timber in it. What is that? Sycamore?

SR

Thanks, ScottĀ :)

It's Lacewood - specifically London Plane Tree. Ā It's going to be lovely when it's been fully prepared and finished...

Ā 

Andy

Ā 

Ā 

Onto the final knockings. Ā Frets are dressed and polished, tuners are fitted. Ā Still to do is:

• lining the chambers with copper shielding
  • fitting the bridge
  • fitting the jack plate,Ā p/ups and electrics
  • final height dimensioning and fitting of pickup covers.

Couldn't resist a few mock-up shotsĀ :D

to2rSW3l.jpg

UBuAWcrl.jpgĀ 

cjIT8mLl.jpg

Ā 

The Hipshot drop D appears to be workman-like and was very easy to fit

Ā 

Andy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guitaraxz said:

Everything of that bass looks top notch, the woods, the workmanship, great work!

R

Thanks @GuitaraxzĀ :). Ā 

It's a build I have enjoyed immensely. Ā I knew the camphor was special, so it was worth taking the extra care with the rest of the build to make the most of it. Ā The most satisfying thing is that the future owner is delighted with the way it's starting to lookĀ :)

• Like 1

Well on the home straight nowĀ :)

Got the bridge fitted and strings on - nice low action possible and very loud acoustically. Ā That meant I could trial the pickups and see how low I can get those covers. Ā Since then, I've shielded and earthedĀ the cavities:

XqFxYg8l.jpg

Next job is to fit the electrics and see how low I can get the pickups with still retaining a decent output (the powered EQ will help here).

Then I can get those covers as low as possible and then....it will beĀ pretty much doneĀ :)

In the meantime, I couldn't resist a strings-on mock up:

Y2QZzL1l.jpg

YZcT0SHl.jpg

• Like 1