Gear Tips and Tricks

syxxstring

Alright some of us around here have to have found the little tips and tricks that help gear and performance. lets share some of them.

Examples:

Combo amps sound way better off the floor to me and on a stand. Also project better this way.

Noisy pedal board. Change to high quality cable it might quiet itself down.

Recording-Little amps cranked up may be better than your recto on 11.(a lot of how hendrix and page got tone)

2 very very obvious but nontheless great tips

1...tuck your lead behind your strap because lets face it you don't want that falling out

2...gaffa tape...aah so many uses...the most vital it to tape all leads down to the ground so that 1:you don't trip up and unplug things, pulls heads off of cabs etc and more importantly 2:club promotors wandering the stage don't trip up and sue your sorry ass into an oblivion :D

Things i've seen others experience

1. Try to keep your instrument atleast two guitars lengths away from any other band member when jumping around and all that stuff. You could hurt someone, or more importantly, you could hurt your guitar o.O

2. If you write a song that's an instant classic, when playing it on stage, DON'T do adlibs or improvisations >.< It'll just confuse everyone and make them complain later.

3. Don't do what Rob Trujillo does on stage

4. Don't chew gum on stage if you're the singer (its happened in one of the bands i was in)

That's all i can think of right now ^.^

Don't snap the top off of one of the tuning pegs, and then use two pens to turn the remaining bit to tune it 5 minutes before a gig. :D

gig bag essentials:

@two or three packs of strings

@allen keys (if using a fr)

@spare batteries for pedals

@spare leads (they always die when you need them most)

@gaffa tape (see above)

@wire cutters

@plasters..you don't want blood everywhere

@string winder

@spare capos

@spare slides

@spare picks

@spare anything that money permits

@something heavy to throw at the drummer...maybe a knife of some kind

theres plenty more you can add but my memory is failing right now

The biggest error I see with most unexpirienced bands is that their guitarists play with that scooped mids sound and too much gain. Alone it may sound nice, but live and with a complete band noone will hear what they play and they turn the overall sound of the band to mud. If you are not that expirienced take a long guitar chord with you, go off the stage during soundcheck and check how your guitar sounds in the whole picture and from where the audience will hear it.

I've had that experience as well. When i went to battle of the bands back in highschool, the first band played, and i was thinking "a little bass, and a lil less mid wouldn't hurt the guitarist..." He was probably used to playing in an enclosed room or something, and didn't set his amp up for stage, because the sound was that kind of sound that just makes your ears pop >.o kinda like when you turn on a TV and it makes that high pitched sound.

If you are playing off of sheet music and you play outside, bring either clamps or use a piece of acrylic to put over your notes or you'll see them fly. alternatively, put them into a ring book with plastic document covers if you don't have to turn pages mid-song.

When doing your own soundcheck use a CD with a song you know and like for doing the PA set up (applies to solo artists like me who only need to adjust master EQ and volume and don't have to care about individual sound ratios).

If you don't have anything better handy, a replacement pick can be tucked between the three top strings between the nut (esp. for floyd users, tuning will not be affected). If you drop one mid-song, just reach up to the headstock and grab it. If you use that one too, pull a crazy tapping lick and pray that the song will be over quick ;-)

In addition to "bring everything for yourself", if you are like me, you have everything twice, especially leads, strings, guitar straps. Been there, done that.

so long

ace

Number One No-No :

If you're playing on Friday night, don't change anything major on Thursday afternoon! The guys next door at our rehearsal space are a prime example - last week, the night before their first gig in about a month, they made a few improvements:

1. Guitarist #1 rewires his pedalboard.

2. Guitarist #2 replaces his bridge pickup.

3. Bassist decides to start using his footswitch to switch channels.

4. Drummer replaces heads on his kick and all his toms.

Needless to say, the pedalboard went postal, the pickup cut out at random all night, the footswitch stopped working, and the drums had to be tuned between songs, and of course with all this going on, they started forgetting the arrangements. It was chaos, and I don't mean that in a good way. Thing started to stabilize about the time their set was over, but it was quite comical for a while.

1. In addition to looping your lead through your strap. Loop the end out of you amp around your handle on top. If your lead is long enough then run it down behind your amp and underneath the casters. It will keep it flat on the floor and reduce the risk of pullout :D

2. If your prone to dropping picks, invest in Gorilla snot. A little on your thumb and index finger will do wonders.

3. If you have a guitar with a pickguard. Take out one screw and you'll have enough of a gap to store 2 or 3 picks. Works especially good with strats.

4. Use a combination bike chain run through the handles of all guitar and bass cases together that you bring to a gig, it will greatly reduce the risk of someone making off with just a single one. Also stenciling your name on cases, cabs, etc make theivery a little more obvious.

5. If a cymbol is developing a crack drill a small hole (approx. 1/8") directly at the end of the crack. If done cleanly it will usually prevent the crack from spreading any farther.

• 1 year later...

dont schedule a gig 2 weeks away before you even have a full band. (I did that and it worked out fine, because we found more members for the band and got a bunch of songs learned and practiced but it was way too stressful and annoying)

also, if you dont have time or money for strap locks, a big fat washer instead of a normal strap button works wonders.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

Number One No-No :

If you're playing on Friday night, don't change anything major on Thursday afternoon!

:D:DB)

The other guitarist in my last band would change his strings the day before, then spend a good minute or so re-tuning between songs. Death.

But all was forgiven after one gig where he pulled out a harmonica for his (normally) guitar solo...and nailed it! It was a complete surprise!

Everything above is good. I don't play out live so I'll attack this from a slightly different angle. I photograph bands and I usually have a capo, 9v batteries and picks (with my business name on them) in my camera bag. The one thing I will add, if you are going to play a few songs in a different tuning, bring another guitar in that tuning. The easiest way to loose a crowd is to spend time between songs going to an alternate tuning and back again. A backup guitar in your standard tuning is also a must.

George

Absolutely. Always have a backup guitar in case you break a string (or pop a trem spring) mid-set. I'll never forget the one time I didn't have a backup I broke my high E on the first song of the first set and had to finish the rest of the set with 5 strings. Thank goodness that guitar had a locking trem on it.

On the bright side, having one string gone will make you break old soloing habits. :D