First Build - 4 String Bass Guitar

That's so weird that they do that. Aren't Denmark and Sweden goofy like that as well? I recall something like that when I was in 

København about 5 years ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot you can roll your own pickups. I'll have to give that a whirl one of these days. I am sure I can find a cheap sewing machine to take apart and convert to a wire bobbin.

13 hours ago, 10pizza said:

nice finish @PDX Rich, thanks for describing the process. If i can find Tru-oil in Holland I'll give that a go for my Zebra-caster.

That will look really nice! If TU is not available in Holland, tung oil may be an option. Let us know, as I am sure someone will be able to help. If you can get TU, I have a bunch of links I can post on your build thread that are helpful. 

Thanks! Playability-wise, it sounds great with big mids as you'd expect from a MB repro pickup. Series and parallel have good differentiation and good range with the tone knob. Split is nice, but I need to pull it apart and shield to get a better tone there. 

The neck is a jazz/Ric hybrid so it's like a narrow baseball bat (modern 4003) fat neck with jazz taper. It's hot for sure with the 18v pre and Rautia pickup.