Original's 2016

13 hours ago, verhoevenc said:

Please please please do tell me about this "vacuum forming of plastics" you did for the covers?! I have a copy of a Gibson V2 pickup that I'm itching to mess with that could benefit from this knowledge!

Best,

Chris

My pleasure Chris, I'm happy to share. I'll get something together that's a little more comprehensive, but this fifteen second video will answer most of your questions.

5 hours ago, KnightroExpress said:

I really like the blend of modern and retro you've got going on, especially the multiscale JR thing. It really is uncommon to see a multiscale that doesn't look like a weapon of some sort! (Mine included, haha)

I absolutely dig the red guitar. I have used the same body shape for a few guitars, but never a plank like this one. I used it like a "default", and it worked out great.

Most of my "modern" is influence from people like yourself, and the other amazing builders that I see on this forum. It's great to collaborate with "like minded" people who share this sickness/passion, and constantly force me to elevate my game.

I love the retro vibe! There are so many super cool vintage designs that can be used for inspiration. 

Edited by Original
fixed video link

I've seen that video myself before! Vacuum forming is a great trick if you can manage it. I just love "making techniques" that are a little off the beaten track. I wonder if you could use vacuum forming to make novel stuff like form-fitting truss rod access inserts or control cavity stuff with recess jack mounting, etc....hmm....

On 2/14/2016 at 11:10 AM, verhoevenc said:

:blink: That seems easy! Can't wait for the rest of the info!! That's too cool.

Chris

It is easy! I built this little vacuum table about two years ago, but it's mostly about the material. There are a few common types of thermoplastic available, but I've only used ABS, and High Impact Polystyrene or (HIPS). They're polymer plastics that will get soft and workable at a high temperature. I use material that is 1/16" thick.

To mold the covers, the plastic must be heated to around 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I use a little digital convection oven that I bought at a thrift store. It's perfect for what I do. The fan inside circulates the heat so the material is heated very evenly, and the electronic thermostat gives me good control of the temperature.

The vacuum table is pretty simple. I wanted to get the best seal possible, and might have overdone it a little on the frames, but they work fantastic. I designed it to use 9"x9" blanks because the HIPS is available in 18x18, and that seemed like a size that would be easy to ship, and 9x9 would be adequate to form larger covers without excessive stretching.

A couple of notes to remember;

Build your forms with a little bit of taper to them, so they can release. Also build them a little taller than needed for the cover to allow room for trimming. 

I built this from scrap wood. The first piece of material I bought was from a local plastics supplier. It was 1/16 black ABS. The 4'x8' sheet cost just over $20 USA. This is something that anyone should be able to rig up pretty easily.vac01_zps7785c3f7.thumb.jpg.03dbadf89e6bvac02_zpsa6db145b.thumb.jpg.1dd85301cd84

On 2/14/2016 at 11:33 AM, Prostheta said:

I've seen that video myself before! Vacuum forming is a great trick if you can manage it. I just love "making techniques" that are a little off the beaten track. I wonder if you could use vacuum forming to make novel stuff like form-fitting truss rod access inserts or control cavity stuff with recess jack mounting, etc....hmm....

My 15 seconds of fame.

You're only limited by your imagination, and the size of the table.

Edited by Original
clarification

11 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Fascinating stuff :)

ive got a travel sized multi scale acoustic on the back burner.  There are a number of useful tips and pointers here - thanks!

Andy

Thanks! I like sharing my techniques. It's all about the DIY

I want to build a 15" Archtop Multi-scale so bad it hurts!

On 2/16/2016 at 9:57 AM, KnightroExpress said:

I have a similar dream of a smaller-size multiscale archtop.... if you build it, I'd love to see it. 

On 2/16/2016 at 0:05 PM, Prostheta said:

I can imagine that a peaceful quiet place is the only place one could really carve an archtop. Patience, no hurry and complete focus.

I will someday. The biggest obstacle is I don't have the room. An archtop could take up a lot of workbench area for a long time. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. I designed the pickups for the seven string to lay at the angle that the 23rd fret would have been (~12.5 degrees). I wanted to have a low profile, so I built these double slug humbuckers. The bobbins, magnets, and slugs came from mojotone. The remainder of the pieces I made myself.

56c57204568a7_multi28_zpsrcnndzhq.thumb.56c57208108cc_multi29_zpsopg22rvi.thumb.56c5720f85289_multi32_zpsjrpoto7q.thumb.56c57217a8eb7_multi31_zpsajdlccmf.thumb.

Edited by Original
editing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

O-hoh....you're not playing around with this one are you? Very nice.

8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That's looking really impressive....

.  Thanks! Sometimes I use more than three pieces of wood for a guitar. :thumb:

I decided to use an old school "Tobacco" finish for this one. The figuring is pretty intense on this top, so I didn't feel the need to sand back after the first application of the dye.  

I had a difficult time deciding on a head stock shape that fit with the laminations, and a 4x3 layout, but I'm happy where I ended up.56c5fb5432ae6_multistain2.jpg.0d49352cf856c5fb5d731a0_multiscarf.jpg.469b0da293c56c5fb63cf8dd_multitable.thumb.jpg.47fcd

On 2/18/2016 at 10:21 AM, Andyjr1515 said:

Love the back of that headstock and the scarfe joint.  Sooooo neat :)

Thanks Andy, This is the first one I've done like this.

On 2/19/2016 at 11:24 PM, Prostheta said:

Yeah, that's got some very interesting lines going on. Everything seems to gel together which is difficult with weird things like multiscales.

I "second guess" myself constantly. Sometimes I spend way too much time sitting on the fence trying to decide.

On 2/19/2016 at 6:51 AM, ScottR said:

Looking down a  multiscale neck always screws with my eyes. They are trying to tell me the neck is twisted.:blink:

SR

You don't know how many times I've double checked the layout because it just didn't look right.

Moving along with the finish...  I'll be spraying the final coat today, so I did a pre-install on the hardware, and pickups.

56c9d2815baee_multi33.thumb.jpg.ee9bf49256c9d2845b77a_multi34.thumb.jpg.c4b0ad73multi35.thumb.jpg.5429fcf0ea2fe3f1abc63256c9d28ca7daf_multi36.thumb.jpg.62fdf88d

Meanwhile, on the other end of the workbench. I've been building this doublecut at the same time. This one's for me!  Maple top, African Mahogany body/neck, Rosewood fingerboard, T-O-M strung through the body, Ping tuners, and P-90's. 56c9d293638e0_multi37.thumb.jpg.b6465677

• Like 3

On 2/21/2016 at 2:23 PM, 2.5itim said:

I really like the scarf joint!! I need to figure out how y'all do these laminated scarfs, I have a hard enough time just gluing up regular scarf joint!!

On 2/22/2016 at 1:22 AM, Andyjr1515 said:

Yup, me too....on all three counts

Thanks! It's not all that tough to do. If you study the pictures at the end of the first page of this thread, you'll get a good idea of how I glued it up. The three layer sandwich was made beforehand, and inserted into the scarf joint. I used a couple of finish nails to hold everything in position for clamping. The holes are visible next to the joint.

21 hours ago, ScottR said:

Sweet burst John. I was thinking the top was a little plain, but the burst brought it to life!

SR

Thanks Scott. It was always the plan to do this. If the fade appears to be somewhat asymmetrical, it's because there will be a pick guard, and I didn't want a "hatband" of the lighter shade next to it.

I wasn't able to spray the other day, but I hope to progress this week.