3rd?!? Shhhh...

I am going to have to think on this, I really don't like the idea of someone someday taking the pick guard off and seeing this atrocity lol. I do think the best move here is doing a solid black painted top with faux binding and a natural back but I have also really been wanting to do some stuff with demascus steel and the pick guard could be a cool opportunity for that. 

Man, that's one thing that I really thought about doing but they were just a little bit to far apart to fit a third in there. If it was about 3/8" closer together I would have had the room and it would be getting 3 humbuckers for sure. 

I understand your anger, but next time you may find a piece of wood which matches the grain direction... :)

Just kidding. Even if you've already decided to paint it solid, I'd tell you that is not really necessary to keep that as a failure anymore. I'd definitely route it again and put two humbuckers together. There's the exact room for that. The only thing is that you have to make a custom ring, but that's not a big deal.

• Like 2

Haha @psikoT I looked for so long trying to find a piece that had close to the same grain pattern, I believe my exact words after were "are you freaking kidding me, all this ash here and not a thing that's even close?"

the megabucker, now we're thinking! Haha 

Those triple coil buckers would be greater with an active buffering/switching system that provides certain phase/series/parallel summing. The bass I'm making will likely have the "Rick-O-Sound" dual outputs (mono/"stereo") so that I can optionally send each pickup through a independent signal paths. No sure how that might monkey with my obligatory 18v pre-amps.

Since the bridge position is so sensitive to placement of pickups, having a three-coil switched around would allow for SO MUCH dialling in.

Anyway. Back to the Ash.

• Like 1

I stayed a little late at work today and made up some positive and negatives  of my toggle cavity cover on the lathe, I had some plastic laying around from a job I ran last year so I used that. I didn't think the plastic would make it thru more than one pass with the router bit bearing burning thru the material so first thing I did was routed these shapes into some extra hardwood I had here at the house. 

Now I used the id template to route my cavity cover shape on the body (my bit is to long so I had to use the plastic as a riser), then I used the od template to make my actual cover out of padouk, and after a little finish sanding it fits perfectly.I'm still not sure how I'm going to do the vol/tone cover, still thinking on that one! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I got the vol/tone cover made and inset, I'm extremely happy with the way this padouk looks with the walnut. I need to drill the holes for the screws on the covers and the back of the body I could call finished minus the finish. 

image.jpeg

I've been watching this @2.5itim as its been progressing but just realised I've never added any comments.  

It's looking like a great build to me - the back looks beautiful - love the contrasting colours :)  As for the 'extra' humbucker position, there is no question in my mind....it's just shouting out to have magnets coils and poles in there rather than a lump of wood.  If it was me, I'd go for three humbuckers and would be very, very excited what the combinations were going to sound like - and with choosable split coils...hmmmmm, there's an idea :D 

Pros, I have just been using stewmacs fret wire up until now. The local little guitar repair store here in Tulsa uses it and will sell it to me for their cost and even will bend it for me for no charge which is great with me since I don't have a bender. I have heard great things about jescar and would really like to try some stainless out in the future but I will need better nippers before that can happen. 

@Andyjr1515 thank you for the kind words! I was really tempted to reroute it and throw a 3rd humbucker in there, but after talking to the guy I'm building this guitar for he would rather just have the 2. Originally he wanted an all black top and natural back and I had talked him into the ash pore colored finish so when I told him we would have to go back to the original idea of all black he wasn't displeased at all!

i do have a 7 string in the works that is this same body shape, I might just have to do the middle humbucker on that one. Hmmm 3 humbucker 7 string baritone I'm kind of liking the sound of that!!

Ahh that would be perfect! Thanks I will check them out, Andrew. 

I have a 3 day weekend this week and will be heading to Arkansas for some hiking tomorrow so I figured I would spend today working on this. 

I re "carved" my top, I went to woodcraft and picked up a set of radiused cabinet scrapers and decided to do an undercut on what I had already carved. I like it a lot more now and these cabinet scrapers are awesome! They don't do so well on the open pores of ash because it pulls a lot of material out of them and then not so much on the closed pores so in certain places I was getting a ripple effect. After lots of sanding I have gotten them smooth again. 

Also because I'm now going a solid color on the top I decided to wood fill the screw ups that I have from when I clamped the top to the back and the little imperfection I got from hand planing incorrectly. 

Also finished fretting and glued them in, and reshaped my neck because I wasn't completely happy with it which now I am, I also used cabinet scrapers on that and enjoyed every minute of it!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I ended up not going out of town as I had planned so I spent a little time today working on this, I finished fretting it yesterday and left the glue to dry over night so that is done, today I drilled the tuner holes and mounted my pickups, I still don't have any hardware or electronics for this thing yet so I stole them off the other build for the time being. I was planning on mounting my bridge but I can't find any of my 3/32 drill bits anywhere so will have to run to the store tomorrow. 

The guy that I was building this guitar for said that he would order all of the electronics and hardware and get them to me when they come in, anyways that was over a month ago and last week he said he hasn't received them yet (he supposedly ordered from the same places I always order from and get my parts within 3 days), anyways I'm starting to think he's dicking me around! At this point I'm just going to go ahead and order everything I need to finish this thing as soon as I get the cash and just write him off

Anyways, sorry for the long read! Here's a pics! 

image.jpg