3rd?!? Shhhh...

Thanks guys, that's what I will do!! 

Ive been extremely bored at work due to 40 min run times on my cnc so I broke out the old trusty razor blade and made my truss rod cover. This started out at .375 thick and ended at .125, it took quite a while to do lol. 

image.jpeg

I was able to go pick up some lacquer today so have been spraying this evening. I'm really liking how this padouk is looking after nitro!

i also needed to figure out a more consistent way of beveling fret ends because I had been doing each one individually which takes forever and really hard to get them all the same, so I took a 2x4 to the table saw and cut a 30* slot down it .02 narrower than the width of one of my files and then beat it in with a hammer. It's nice and sturdy in there and really worked great. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you @a2k I really like the way it turned out also! 

I will be writing the cnc program on Monday for my bridges that I have been designing for the last couple weeks, I will be making 4 6 strings and 4 7 string bridges. Hopefully I can get one finished and anodized before this thing is finished curing and can get it all together soon. 

On 4/24/2016 at 0:37 PM, 2.5itim said:

I ended up taking yalls advice, I got it all sanded down, redid the pore filler, resprayed the primer and shot the black. As soon as I get paid I'll go get some nitro since I used all of mine on the other build and get this body finished up. 

These are the best pics I have right now but I'll get more once the paint dries and I can open up the shop doors for better light. 

image.jpeg

Where'd it go??

After lots and lots of time to sit and think about this I really did not like the way this finish came out, so this is how the body currently sits. Really 90% of it was lack of preparation so I decided to completely sand it down and start all over. 

Im thinking about completely changing the way I finish this one yet again, I'm going to ponder over it a bit and see what I come up with. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 2.5itim

I think a big reason that I didn't like the finish was because it wasn't what I had originally planned for this guitar, so with that in mind I can't really do the finish that I had originally planned on because of the screw up with the pickup cavity. 

So what I've came up with since I've already pore filled the top to be smooth under paint I taped off the middle from the neck pocket to just passed the bridge and then I wire brushed all the pore filler out of the rest of the top. 

What im hoping to achieve here is to have a solid opaque center to cover up my screw up and then the rest of the top will be the "gothic" finish that I had originally planned on doing. So fingers crossed that this will come out looking good, now I'm gonna spend this next week trying to achieve this gothic finish. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok this looks terrible but I feel like I'm starting to somewhat get somewhere with this! 

This test piece is painted black, one light coat of shellac, white primer and then took the primer back with 0000 steel wool. I didn't wait long enough during steps for the materials to dry so I pulled some of the black off. It looks terrible due to this but I see potential. 

I have another piece that instead of using black paint with shellac on top I just tinted the shellac black with a pigment, this one is drying right now so we will see how it works out. If it's not any better I will be going back to the paint+shellac. 

image.jpeg

I think that is what's happening. The white primer does dry really fast so with not waiting long enough for the shellac to dry it just pulls everything off, but the middle there was after waiting a day to dry. 

I also bought more nitro planning on tinting that black but I can't find a pigment to tint it anywhere.