5-string Rickenbacker 4003-ish bass

3 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Have you forgotten what they look like Andy? <_<

Forgotten?  I've never known.....

I thought clean, well clamped joints were the things of myth and legend, talked about round a crackling open fire by an old sage with a body length beard.  "Long, long ago when warriors were brave, damsels were women and a gallon of ale was less than the cost of a bus fare to Tipton...." 

Errrrrr. No.

It's just about prep and applying the right amount of pressure. Squeezeout is a distraction because most people lay off as soon as they see "enough squeezeout". I didn't run the numbers on that one....let me illustrate....

45mm x 1250mm is 0.05625m² or about 87in². At 250PSI (200-300PSI is about right for Birch and Maple) you should be putting in 87*250 = 21750lbs pressure. At least, according to Titebond specifications. I rammed those Piher clamps hand tight, short of using a cheater bar. I'd say 2500lbs each, so that's 15000lbs plus the additional clamps at maybe 750lbs each. Call it 17250lbs? Working back, that's a hair under 200PSI. In the range, just.

I preach this stuff like crazy, I know. It does demonstrate the kind of lengths that clamping needs to go to sometimes. The proof is right there. Zero gluelines and bonded like the sky and an alkies plonk bottle.

• Like 2

I'm starting to mark out the neck blank for positioning the fingerboard, nut, headstock and body angles, etc.

This is how to align headstock wings either side of the blank;

IMG_7849.JPGIMG_7850.JPG

Two U-shaped cauls made from plywood or whatever keeps its dimensions nice and square. I simply ripped a strip of waste plywood to about 35mm-40mm wide, then cross cut it on the table saw into 4x 50mm plus 2x 120mm lengths. A dab of glue and chamfering the "pad" faces produces an excellent pair of headstock alignment cauls. Chamfering is not 100% required, however I don't like corners. Total paranoia, I know.

IMG_7851.JPG

The exact same idea helps with the body also.

I don't think I've ever seen 19 ply...

I have to say, I'm starting to use 'marine' ply more and more (although the stuff I've been using is much more modest than this) - it is such a great advantage to have something that is SO dimensionally stable and yet relatively easy to cut and drill.

I like the use of a ply jig for this kind of assembly because it's normally a bit hit and miss when I try to add wings...

Definitely, which is entirely why I am using every scrap I can find of the stuff. Students cut it up and throw huge scraps out. Madness. This was all pulled from the bins....

I've considered the idea of making a large jointing plane using two laminates of that 1" ply. The idea appeals purely because it's bound to be frowned upon by some, yet hugely entertaining otherwise!

Glueing on the headstock wings.

IMG_7852.JPG

That's about 6in² of gluing area with four clamps that put out about 400-600lbs. That's a clamping pressure of between 1600-2400lbs, or 400-600PSI. Understandably, I didn't crank 'em. It's difficult to manage on those itsy clamps though. I'll be in the range of 200-300PSI easily.

I used dots that I made in this tutorial.

A drop of CA and tapping them in place using the butt of a chisel is all it takes to seat them. Once dry, the epoxy files back nicely. No need to polish up or anything yet. That can wait till everything is on the neck....

Notice how the waste is glowing near my vise!

20160617_203100.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers! I was very much tempted to do a full optical fibre or LED install. Thing is, I don't have good workshop time between now and August so I'd rather not rush things. I've got the intention of writing up how to approach both of these methods though.

I wonder if it's possible to buy white-yellow luminescent powder....?

No- or not that I know of; it was pretty much your standard phosphorescent powder which is a pale yellow. aka yellow white. It glows pale yellow with a slight greenish cast. We mixed it with a tinted clear to make it glow in different colors. That's a process we should be able to replicate easily enough to bend it to our purposes.

SR

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys. It was the tree and the mould that did all the heavy lifting here though. :thumb:

The spalting is pink-brown in some areas. I'm sure that the oil-shellac schedule will drown it down to browns only, but we'll see. It reminds me a bit of flame Box Elder. I bet that would be amazing cut at 45° to the grain ring plane.

I ran out of binding at the finish line which is annoying. One cutaway to do. My fault entirely. Not convinced about the weight of the 0,5mm pinstripes. They don't add enough to the finished piece in my opinion, so I might even rout it all away and add heavier binding instead. Maybe even T-W-B-W-B. Subtlety doesn't really line up with a bass that I'm naming Orgasmatron.

• 3 weeks later...