Gibson 2013 LPJ Refinish

Actually, there is one more shot I want to show you all - the sheer power of a supernova.

We haven't had one in our galaxy since around 1055 AD, but they can be seen in other galaxies if you happen to be looking at the right time.

Now - bear in mind that here in Andromeda, which is around 2.5 million light years away, there is NO POSSIBILITY that you can see individual stars.  Any light you see is the combined light of millions of stars:

m31-1at20minmerge10nebmerg1nebfinaldarkerastroart4.jpg

All the stars you see around it are in our galaxy and you are seeing through those to see Andromeda.

Now take the Whirlpool.  That is around 31 million light years away.  Light takes around 8 minutes to reach us from the sun.  It takes 25,000 years to get from one side of our galaxy to the other.  The picture below has taken 31,000,000 years to get to my camera:

m51 8min flt110.jpg

Again, any star you see is in OUR galaxy.

Except this one:

M51 with supernova.jpg

See the star in the left hand picture at about 5 o'clock from the RHS galaxy core?  Notice that isn't there on the (normal) right hand picture?  That is a photo - of an individual star going supernova in a galaxy 31,000,000 light years away!  It therefore happened 31,000,000 years ago and was bright enough for about a week to be able to photograph it, even in my back garden with light pollution.  That's a hell of a big bang! 

• Like 1

Obviously you've never experienced the morning after mine and Nina's tortilla Fridays, Andy. :wOOt

It is incredibly grounding to be able to grasp the scale of the broader universe beyond our back garden, or indeed, from it. Before Edwin Hubble, we didn't even know that other galaxies existed....just other stars...other stars....

What a grand (literally) old spectacle this is. The speed of light simply isn't fast enough for the very small (hence Moore's Law tripping up of late) or observing the present at any reasonable distance. I love it all. I really do, as should every living person really. It's all so much larger and grander than our infantile musings, and shows us that we're not the centre of it all. We don't know everything. We have to satisfy ourselves with knowing what we don't know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - back to guitars :lol:

I've pretty much finished the back and sides.  Just got to decide what to do with the (very light coloured) neck now and then I can start re-assembly.  I'm picking up a bunch of ivory plastics (pickup rings, etc, etc) and amber knobs from the owner this evening.

_MG_8423enh.jpg

I almost feel bad for having encouraged derailing of this thread.

Almost.

• Like 1

Took the LP to show the owner last night and to pick up some of the amber & cream plastic bits he'd got for it.  He's very happy with the top (phew!) but wants the back and sides to be darkened, and the light-wooded neck to be stained to match.  He's also going for no pickguard.

I've ordered the final bits for it and should be able to redo the back and sides and finish the neck over the next few days.  Should be all complete and ready to return by middle of next week :)

Today I made some progress with staining the sides, back and neck.  I used a red mahogany spirit stain that came out like this:

_MG_8439.JPG

Quite pleased with the evenness of the colour because the body is a light mahogany, but the neck is something the colour of maple!

This has had a couple of coats of Birchwood Casey sealer/filler to seal it and then a light slurry and buff with tru-oil.  With one more slurry and buff, it should be fully sealed and silky smooth.

The contrast of the back and top can be seen here:

_MG_8436enh2.jpg

Still got to scrape the binding which looks a bit whiter here than in real life due to the white-balance tweak.

The owner is VERY pleased with it so far.  The final cream bits should arrive next week so should be finished before next weekend :)

• Like 1

On 7/8/2016 at 10:15 PM, ScottR said:

Nicely done Andy.

SR

Thanks, @ScottR 

I'm waiting some genuine Gibson pickup rings as these don't quite fit, but this is what it broadly looks like with cream accoutrements:

_MG_8451.JPG

It changes from amber-ish to orange-ish depending on the way the light catches it:

_MG_8449.JPG

It feels nice to the touch....just like wood ;)

• Like 1

Interesting video @Tim37  Not sure this is the cure for the red bias on my slr but actually might be worth a try not for the high cri fluorescents he talks about but actually the greenish hue domestic ones!

The basic problem is the ccd chip in the camera.  For astro work, Canon actually sell a version of their slr with a specific change to the chip filtering.  Costs a fortune but tackles the red bias which can be really problematic when you are photographing such faint iridescent gas clouds.

i will give fluorescents a go, though...thanks for the lead :thumb:

• Like 1

I'm slowly catching up with these since I've returned from my travels......this is nicely done Andy. I'm sure the owner is very pleased.

How tough was it to bind up against the neck in the cut-away area. I expect the neck got in the way just a bit whilst cutting the channel.

SR

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

I'm slowly catching up with these since I've returned from my travels......this is nicely done Andy. I'm sure the owner is very pleased.

How tough was it to bind up against the neck in the cut-away area. I expect the neck got in the way just a bit whilst cutting the channel.

SR

Welcome back, Scott! :)

Not too bad.  The router had to stop about an inch short either side and then it was chisels.  I was inspired by your mandolin scroll and figured that, in comparison, mine was a walk in the park ;) 

• Like 1