KEA 2017 builds

6 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That looks like a dragons tail. Now you need to put it on another body finished like that V. 

I've thought that would look cool too, but always wondered how it would wear.

SR

I am hoping a few coats of poly will protect it well enough. Combined with huge fretwire it should last.

• Like 1

....or hover I guess....

There was a definite move towards more social media-like presentation in the recent software upgrade. I can understand as to why; discrete web-based forums such as ours took a real hit when attention-deficit social media kicked off.

Been working a lot on guitars and also been incredibly busy with a ton of other things.
Some news though. After years of looking for the right job, i finally landed a new, full time job.

That means a lot less time for guitars. Im sad that i wont be able to build as much.

Here are a couple ive been working on.

DSCF2004.JPG

DSCF1996.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks scott.
Its going to be different, but worth it.
On a side note, i still dont understand these clear coats. 2k clear is supposed to be the hardest, most durable out there. And every guitar i spray, even after a month, still gets swirl marks and scratches just by wiping it off or handling it.

That happens to cars too- and that's what that stuff is made for. Part of the problem is everything in our environment is coated with a super fine layer of dust, much of which is mineral based. When we're talking about highly reflective, super smooth surfaces, like your guitars have, nearly everything used to wipe it has the potential of putting micro scratches in it from that dust. And they show up the most on surfaces just like your guitars. The light catches the edge of that micro scratch and lights it up. Just think, if the surface of your guitar wasn't as smooth and polished, the micro scratches wouldn't show nearly as well, they'd get lost in all the other surface irregularities.

Even the hardest clear coat is still plastic and isn't going to stand up to microscopic rocks (dust). Oddly enough, the sign of a really well executed polishing job is one that is one that shows those micro scratches the best.

SR

6 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Thanks Scott!
This is a moment ive been expecting for a long time, but could never fully picture it. It will be interesting having an entirely new and different life. I know im going to miss this.

Luis- I hope that last sentence doesnt mean you will be bailing from guitar building all together. You are too talented and I hope all this means is that worst case- it just takes you a lot longer to finish one vs stopping all together. either way- glad you found a job and wish the best for you. 

Thanks guys. My hope is to still build one day a week. I dont start this job until next month, so that leaves some time to finish up a bunch of projects.
An interesting note, I went to go get some mahogany from my supplier. At the beginning of the year they got bought out by a big business. Their prices had went up a bit but was still managable.
I went back today for the first time in about 7 months, and their prices have just about DOUBLED. I was blown away. One thing that really helped me with my building was living in a place where supplies were very manageable and cheap. Its really too bad.

Could be for any number of reasons, not excluding profiteering of course. A more defensible paper trail being one. Bureaucracy costs. Double is a lot though. The old owners might well have passed on some questionable sourcing. I've seen it happen and heard of some known suppliers having "novel paperwork". Still, shit rolls downhill man.