Having a go at my own build series

2 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

You've just got another subscriber. Nice as usual, you've really got the sound balance right!

Thanks Biz, got a couple of editing tips from David and started doing it all in Adobe premier (instead of iMovie) which has a lot of extra gadgets like audio limiters and that's helped the sound a lot. I just had one annoying bit of routing that I missed which is a bit louder than the rest of it. But they're going in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The twins are coming on nicely, I got the necks glued in this week and most of the sanding done. Need to get the bridges installed next then on to finishing.

ACtC-3ezZo6vHaLiTE8LlewfZ-rl0S0WkjQ8yqIV

I've also been experimenting with my own coloured grainer filler this week. A combination of pumice powder, linseed oil, lacquer and leather dye.

ACtC-3eBQ5zPQ-1Dj5GF_4RgFUYoggyJ5ChQH6AE

ACtC-3dO15fnUVWshLpBNVlYbtJTYNE80dZMYlGV

ACtC-3eFPb4cE1cEAaxzzBoLgQj2BOno3t8Pek7X

Latest episode

• Like 1

The strawberry conserve looks good but the mayo looks like the best before date was too long ago... 😜

So you're finally admitting that your videos really are educational! Guitar building - Woodworking tips - Home Workshop followed by a glimpse to your other social media links... Your marketing department sure has earned his beer!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

The strawberry conserve looks good but the mayo looks like the best before date was too long ago... 😜

So you're finally admitting that your videos really are educational! Guitar building - Woodworking tips - Home Workshop followed by a glimpse to your other social media links... Your marketing department sure has earned his beer!

I chose those jars carefully 😛 

While not originally intended, that is pretty much how the videos have been coming out as I can't help myself from waffling on and according to youtube analytics, people tend to stick with the waffling and skip passed the footage where I'm just working in realtime.

I did some research on youtube intros - Apparently just having your logo floating about is a waste of time but using the intro to describe briefly what your video/channel is about is much more enticing for viewers to continue watching. I'll have to see how the audience retention figures stack up against earlier videos to know if it works or not. 

The marketing team are doing well, the camera man and presenter need a kick up the arse though.

LOL @17:10  I'm so familiar with this.

"It's in, I know it's in. I've pressed it 5 times. But is it fully seated? I think so, but maybe not? OMG what if it's seated but slightly at an angle, the whole guitars playability relies on this forever! I'll give it another press. There, it's in. I hope."

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 1:00 PM, komodo said:

LOL @17:10  I'm so familiar with this.

"It's in, I know it's in. I've pressed it 5 times. But is it fully seated? I think so, but maybe not? OMG what if it's seated but slightly at an angle, the whole guitars playability relies on this forever! I'll give it another press. There, it's in. I hope."

I always forget just how much tighter a drop of glue makes the joint. I may have looked calm on camera but I was swearing inside.

• 3 months later...

Thanks chaps, really happy with the red one, colour has come out like a nice vintage cherry. I should have done a second coat of filler though so I'm def going to need a few more coats of lacquer before I can level it off.

ACtC-3cOfQb1r4yR0r29Z7IAVtJ6J1bNNohydf8z 

The yellow one is fighting me a bit - I got it stained and really happy with the colour

ACtC-3dyr4LcmP5ZeqZoAFVQT5cWDdtzXqtfrWa3

ACtC-3dFMZLybgOQQ-4YF9XrenpLUQnERN9vyiFT

At this point I was thinking about spraying a couple of really thin coats to seal then grainfill afterwards with a brown filler, but figured as I'm only spraying the body and headstock, filling the grain after sealing will cause staining issues on the neck. So I decided to to use the same method as the red only with yellow filler. But wiping off the excess filler as eradicated my nice stain job :( 

ACtC-3dhJBCc1yaOK4DeIX3Jhfcv-MDj6aKU5Uj2

So I've wiped it back fairly brutally in the hope that I can apply some more of the pale yellow stain after the filler has dried. If it doesn't take then I'm going to have to sand back to bare and try again. 

Got my colour problem sorted after the above blunder. Scuffed it all back a bit with a scotch pad and gave it another stain then a light coat of lacquer all over to seal the colour. Didn't bother filming any of the spraying because I was worried about runs or missing stuff. It's a PITA trying to film spraying because I'm worrying about what the camera can see, putting the camera in the right place meant getting the sun in my eyes and missing stuff.

ACtC-3e7sDY2EnfTMTDHjR6PcuxNnsGtQdM9keYs

Once it had some lacquer on it, I used my walnut colour filler and wiped that on and straight off. 

Close up after filling grian - It didn't come out quite as custardy as I was going for but the white stain just wasn't penetrating the wood well enough. I could have gone over it with white again and sprayed over it for the right colour but I could see the finish flaking off in no time.

ACtC-3f2TP3cL-Eph6ABeLJBRbxA-xi_nCqfyubp

Got my control covers fitted too 
ACtC-3dJlIoz_nyqgWU4JQV9Lfoo8OIj9h8x5Xtk

ACtC-3eo_fY76SCnE2hxCTOy-Xmwh5avuzBcljPc

So far red has had 4 coats and yellow's had 2, hopefully I'll be able to fire a load more on later this week, eager to play those p90s :) 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Nearly there on the rosewood one, wired her up and cut a bone nut, still need to do a bit of setup work - Not sure how but I seem to have a high fret, I need to stop relying on the sharpie line on the top of the frets and use a fret rocker to check they're all level prior to crowning. Hopefully I can fix that one fret without having to level and crown the lot again. Apart from that I'm really happy with it, OX4 P90s are awesome. I'm also really impressed with the Wilkinson wraparound bridge, for the price point it's exceptional.

I've done a satin finish on this one, wet sanded with 800 first then rubbed in furniture wax with 0000 wire wool which is a method I heard about watching a P J Eggle factory tour. Will be interested to see how well it stands up, It's high gloss lacquer so I guess eventually it will become glossy in areas.

ACtC-3cnswCYVpLO2eTOG4S7qVTRDIArqNwovHAK

deo2B6Qytte57tL1B0rDPX2yZ9itBh4sxrpUI328

eOLrTD_XJ96JkhaCD2AmvCfaLDX8i3jJG7sl8iW6

ACtC-3dI4-MO-bXnemCPtQvAIGnnAPzFjHE6H_El

ACtC-3fYavrhqSoUW5AhoMgi-HUFiJ94BjXc1H3t

ACtC-3epJEK3f61qn9c3uz9PWHFBrEETKK9_LHWZ

ACtC-3e0QbmsUypFZ8bVtliilAS_NkwfI_plClvP

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

weird, I've just relinked all the pics to make sure they're public, hopefully they will appear now 

Got them!  Thanks

And I'm pleased I have.  Lovely job (mental note, mustn't put anything into GOTM until this one's out of the way :lol: )

• Haha 1