V Bass worth trying or not?

Hello all, I have been in love with the Jackson RR V shape for a long time :D , only one problem I play bass, so a friend from another forum told me to come ask around here about the possibility of making my own. My biggest question is the scale length I know the length from the nut to the bridge has to be 34" for a bass. On most of the RR-V's the bridge is in a boomarange / arrow shape at the very back of the guitar unless it has a locking tremelo system. Does anyone think I can get the length I need? Next question is getting a Blank that big????? Any help in this matter would be so appreciated!!!! B) By the way I am a newbee, My name is Ron been trying to play Rush tunes for the past three years on various basses mostly p-bass shaped and would just like to have something to go against my buddies V's, Explorers and RR-V's :D . Thanks again. Ron

hmm, well, i am building a RR5, the V your most likely talkin bout, i just made a template from cardboard that felt good holding it, i then modified it slightly so it wasnt identicle to the RR5 and then put it onto my peice of wood, I know your going to ask for pictures, but i dont have any because i dont have a digital camera or scanner, but, as soon as i finish it (starting again this tuesday hopefully) it should be done it little less then a month after that, then i will post pics!!

Good luck!!

Curtis

P.S. dont rush through it though, take your time, do it right, it will be well worth it in the end :D

im pretty sure that gibsons and epiphones v basses are only 30 inches in scale length

I might be calling it the wrong thing but Scott told me that the length from the nut to the bridge had to be 34 inches to get the bass note scale right. Does this help any? I know that Ibenez and Gibson make short scale basses so the necks are not as long, I think that is what is meant by that. Sorry For lack of knowledge, let me go converse with the Scott-Man and find out what I am supposed to be talking about. :D Does my newness to this subject show??? B) But you have to start somewhere!!! Thanks Ron

Yep your right, just checked it out on the web. (About the Gibson/Epiphone neck scale length) I am worried about the V being Huge also, maybe I could get the shorter length neck and it wouldn't look so strange??? :D

ummmm, hmmmmm, you want the body to be in a RR V shape, like what Randy Rhoads used? something like these? http://www.guitarshop.net/jackson/rr5x2.jpg if so, thats what i am building, and i think what you should do, is screw the scale length, i never understood it completly, and just take the bass you got now, and if you want the body shorter or longer, go by that, and then dig out the ruler and your artsy side and then draw it by hand onto cardboarxd, if you like that feel, then trace it onto your peice of wood, thats what i did and it seemed to work great

Curtis

THAT IS IT EXACTLY!!!! B) Right down to the bridge I would like to try and make!!!!! I think I will just do that!!! I could trace my friends RR-Pro to get the shape and then I should be able to route the pickup pockets and run with the rest. O yea sounds EAZY :D . Well it would be a start I guess that is why they call this a project!!! Thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing your work of art. One question are you putting a bridge like the picture or are you adding a whammy bar??? Later Ron

1. The scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge. You can build a bass in different scale lengths, but in order for it to work and intonate correctly the frets have to be placed accordingly.

2. The body can have any shape/size. The only thing that counts is that if you attach the neck to the body, the distance from nut to bridge has to result in your desired scale length. As an example: If you use a neck-through neck(a neck which goes through the body and is not bolt on) you can theoretically place the bridge on the end of the neck blank and don't use a body at all. So what you have to do is decide on a scale length and then design a body arround that. If the body begins at the 12th fret or at the 20th does not matter at all, as long as the distance from nut to bridge is correct.

Curtis that is the Rhoads Pro I believe, don't hold me to that!!! It looks like my friends RR-Pro, it has the Floyd rose and dual humbuckers. Only difference his is all black and he added EMG's so it would be like Kirk Hammets. I think I am going to make the whole body bigger if I can get sides that big. I would like to use the 30 scale neck but I have yet to find a neck thru neck with that scale. Wes are there pictures of your V on the site? I searched and came up empty. Thanks again. Ron 4XL