JS series

daveq

I found some info on jemsite concerning the JS series and I was really surprised - I want to see if anyone here can verify this stuff:

Apparently, our [JS] "multi radius" definition means that the bass and treble side of the back of the neck are not identical, the neck shape is intentionally "lop-sided" in order to replicate the feel of Joe's favorite neck. The radius is actually a fairly consistent 10 inches all the way up.

Thickness

20.0mm at fret-1

22.3mm at fret-12

Width

42mm nut

56mm at fret-22

Radius: 240mm fretboard radius (about 9.5")

So are they talking about the back of the neck for the 9.5" radius or the fretboard? I see the words "back of the neck" in the first quote where they are talking about the multi-radius but what about the lower quote where the radius is given as 9.5"?

9.5" seems very round'ish to me for someonoe who plays so much lead work.

240mm *25.4 = 9.4488" for the fingerboard radius, in the description they just round that up to a 10"

the multi radius is talkin about the back of the neck and saying how the back of the neck is kinda lop sided like the EVH neck profile... see how one side is thicker then the other? i beleive that's what they're refering to

wolfgang.jpg

So he really uses a 10" radius for the fretboard (actually a bit smaller)? Wow, that's surprising. I have a neck with a 10" radius fretboard and it's OK but I have a hard time doing sweep picking and string skipping in the upper area. With my Ibanez neck (RG), no problem. With all of the lead work he does, I would have thought he would want a flatter radius than that. I guess he probably just grew up playing a rounder fretboard and got used to it.

can anyone be a bit more specific? shims would already be required factory installed because of the 9.5" radius would it not? i've never heard of a 9.5"R floyd??

It's not a Floyd, It's an Ibanez Original Edge trem. I would assume that they're shimmed to get the correct radius considering that most edge equipped guitars have a radius closer to 17"

that's what i'm saying, his bridge would already be shimmed from the factory, not custom setup later by his tech...

and being within 2" probably wouldn't do for JS, i heard he plays insanely low action, so i think the radius would have to match dead on

and being within 2" probably wouldn't do for JS, i heard he plays insanely low action, so i think the radius would have to match dead on

They probably do match it exactly but have you ever seen the difference between 10 and 12 radius? The edges are just barely visible. I'd guess that the edges are going to be less than 1/64" which would not affect the action noticeably. That's not to say that his setup guy isn't **** about it though.