What is the best/Cheapest place to get pickups?

eBay really is the best place. basically cuz theres not that much harm you can do to a pickup, and though the resale value will go down, they dont really lose there tone or anything. so if you can find it on eBay, its just as good as store bought. you may have to extend a wire or two, but its not that much of a problem. (this is what i did for my last guitar)

eBay really is the best place. basically cuz theres not that much harm you can do to a pickup, and though the resale value will go down, they dont really lose there tone or anything. so if you can find it on eBay, its just as good as store bought. you may have to extend a wire or two, but its not that much of a problem. (this is what i did for my last guitar)

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. You need to ask the seller the obvious questions : "Has the pu ever been taken apart ?" If they say yes, go into more detail like : " has the bar magnet(s) ever been taken out and are they original ?" or in the case of a single-coil : "have the pole-pieces ever been moved ?"

" has the wiring ever been changed, such as a 2 lead wire, converted to 4 leads?"

" has it been potted in anyway since it left the factory?"

A big concern would be if they ever did something stupid, like have their pickups near a magnet, like a speaker. Then the pu wouldn't be as powerful as it's suppose to be.

Check the shipping. A lot of those guys set the shipping amount quite a bit higher than the real shipping would be.

There are plenty of little crappy things that the average joe can do to guitar pickups, either out of curiosity or stupidity.

i always buy pickups new....i don't want a worn corner or anthing...plus if you get them off ebay,they don't usually come with the right pots.then you have to buy those..but basically if it is used,it will not look as nice on a brand new just built guitar

and the link litch gave you is where i buy them

Build them yourself. Priced up Jason Lollars pickup winder and think I can do it for about 35GBP (probably cheaper if I was more patient and found most bits second hand). That doesn't include his book though at 20GBP :D

Pickup parts aren't too expensive and I think that I will rocoup all the money as I'm going to do 2 guitars (a total of 3 humbuckers and 2 single coils). Not sure if it would be worth the money for just a couple of pickups though.

$14 dosen't sound like it's going to get you a lot of bang for your buck. I wouldn't skimp on pickups. They contribute the most to your overall sound of your guitar other then type of wood you use. Deffinatly do not to get cheap-o ones if your expecting to get a good sound out of it.

If you don't want to deal with active pickups, then you should take a look at Dimarzio. www.dimarzio.com They have a lot of bang for your buck, and on their website you can check out the specs of each one. I picked up an air norton 7 and blaze 7 for the 7 string I'm building. You should check out the Evolution and Air Norton pickups if your looking at the EMG 81 and 85.

Ryan