Ash's acoustic rabbit hole

I've just discovered something interesting any annoying - if I fret the 7th on the bottom E and the 5th on the A string, but I only play the A string, the bottom E string buzzes... behind the fretted note (wtf). I've never came across an issue like this before. 

After a bit of research I see it being referred to as back buzz, with some references to a low nut or high fret or back bow. 

- The neck was v close to flat but not back bowing, so I introduced some relief, no joy
- The nut isn't buzzing on the open E string so I am not convinced that the nut is low
- The frets are level. 

Anyone else experienced this? 

Oh totally. This is why I find it so amusing that people get lost in high concept designs and weird stuff when really it comes down to basic balance, and even then....it varies.

I'm biased though. My favourite acoustics have gloss over their Rosewood headstock veneers. The balances are completely different to that rustic Martin styling.

Sounds lovely!  Very, very rich and even.

Ref the buzz - yes - that is possible.  The stretch of the bottom E from 6th fret to the nut (the 6th will be fretted as well as the 7th) is the same note (but different octave) that the A will be playing on the 5th fret and so yes, with a deep resonance of the guitar through the body, it could well resonate in unison.

Is your 6th string nut slot pretty low?  If so, you may be able to lift the slot a touch - enough for the resonance not to catch the 5th fret - without affecting the playing of it.  That way, the string section will still vibrate, but not buzz.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

if I fret the 7th on the bottom E and the 5th on the A string, but I only play the A string, the bottom E string buzzes... behind the fretted note

The following is just pondering, but: Is it possible that the slot for the E has its tallest point inside the slot, not at the very edge? That might make it buzz when the angle is just right i.e. when pressed on the 7th fret.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Sounds lovely!  Very, very rich and even.

Ref the buzz - yes - that is possible.  The stretch of the bottom E from 6th fret to the nut (the 6th will be fretted as well as the 7th) is the same note (but different octave) that the A will be playing on the 5th fret and so yes, with a deep resonance of the guitar through the body, it could well resonate in unison.

Is your 6th string nut slot pretty low?  If so, you may be able to lift the slot a touch - enough for the resonance not to catch the 5th fret - without affecting the playing of it.  That way, the string section will still vibrate, but not buzz.

25 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

The following is just pondering, but: Is it possible that the slot for the E has its tallest point inside the slot, not at the very edge? That might make it buzz when the angle is just right i.e. when pressed on the 7th fret.

thank you both, I think filling in that slot and recutting it is definitely the best route to go down to start with. I hope it's that, I don't want to have to resort to adding relief to resolve it because it plays just right as is. 

I do find it quite difficult to diagnose these little noises on acoustics some times, no matter where the buzz is, it always sounds like it's coming from the sound hole 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I do find it quite difficult to diagnose these little noises on acoustics some times, no matter where the buzz is, it always sounds like it's coming from the sound hole 😂

I know where you are coming from.  My Gillett hybrid has a patented through body string arrangement where, because it is an acoustic-style body, the strings from the bridge at the top, though the body to the tailstock at the bottom, 'harp', which forms part of the sound.  Trouble is, I have an irritating buzz on the top E - and can't for the life of me work out where it's coming from.  Other than it definitely sounds like it's coming from the sound hole! :lol: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I do find it quite difficult to diagnose these little noises on acoustics some times, no matter where the buzz is, it always sounds like it's coming from the sound hole

So true! I've been trying to gather a list of potential buzzers and rattlers from all videos I've seen but that list is only in my head which holds information as well as a sieve holds water...

Anyhow, on my list there's

• a hump in the middle of the nut
  • a hump in the middle of the bridge
  • a tall fret
  • a loose fret
  • a low nut
  • doesn't the above mean too low an action?
  • a loose tuner knob!
  • a loose truss rod
  • a loose brace

Not to mention any other loose parts or open seams that may resonate.

• Like 1

It was a low nut on both the bottom E and A strings. Filled the slots with thin CA and baking powder before filing them back down a hair higher and the back buzz has completely gone away, even after flattening the neck back out. Funny because there was about a fag paper gap between the string and first fret when pressing down on the third which is where I normally go on electric guitars. Perhaps it's the acoustic properties of the acoustic guitar that make the buzzing noticeable or maybe it's down to the higher string gauge of acoustics.

• Like 2

Glad you got it sorted and that it was such a simple thing to fix.

The issue may well be in the strings. I've tried both electric and acoustic strings on an acoustic and the wound strings definitely act a bit differently. And the difference is audible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...