This ones not a Tele..Well maybe a little.

Just checking in to say Thanks for the Likes, I haven't forgotten the project, just been busy doing some repairs and maintenance for customer guitars thet I still support. Will have an update soon.

. And always remember the words of Will Rodgers, who said "Thank Goodness We're not getting All the Government We're paying for."

• Like 2

More progress, spent some time routing for pickups and a control cavity. It's really fun routing a cavity in a body that's been chambered, the router keeps wanting to become a ukulele. I say that because ukulele is a Hawaiian word meaning "jumping flea". Hilarity nonstop.
 Anyway, enough of my whining, got the routing done and did some progressive sanding down to 350 grit. Then I decided to try something new, I had a can of Mohawk toner/finish in dark red, did the sides to blend the differences in grain pattern, and did a bit of a burst on the back. Still deciding whether or not I like it.

8ysxi2.jpg

hD7RDZ.jpg

.For the top I went with a purplish kind of thing. The top was on the clearance aisle at the hardwood dealer cause it was listed as single A grade. Got it for $18. US

6bYTRE.jpg

zbHyj8.jpg

Ve3xwL.jpg

.So this is how it sits at the moment, waiting for me to get the gumpshun up to choose a neck and hardware. I'm kinda thinkin' another quartersawn bloodwood neck with ebony board cause I'm really liking the one I have. Hardware will most likely be some kind of Strat Hardtail or shortened Tele bridge with Hipshot locking tuners, all in chrome probably.

I will meditate on it.....

.And as Shakespeare said "And The Beat, it goeth On."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhilHill said:

And as Shakespeare said "And The Beat, it goeth On."

It doeth indeed.

That's quite the bargain on the top. I often burst the top and the back using the sides to bind them together similar to what you did.

I considereth it a good look.

SR

I thanketh thee Good Sir. The grain match actually wasn't too bad on the sides, but there were some areas where one of the pieces dipped in and out of heartwood type darkening and would have resulted in an almost polka dot type of coloring. But I wanted the purpleheart to show as much as possible, So I decided on the burst to cover the bad areas yet let the back show. So far, I'm happy with the result.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Single A? Based on the images describing the A classes I'd say the person who put that into the bargain bin must be sight restricted.

I totally agree with you. Had trouble figuring out what was so bad about it but I wasn't going to argue with the price. I'll just enjoy the bargain.  :rock

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Super progress.  Great choices of woods.  And it looks nothing like a Tele...not even a little ;)

Thanks I tend to binge work sometimes, and will hardly touch it other days. To be honest, the wood choices were made more by the fact that it was what I had left in the shop, I need to restock, than by forsight. But so far it has worked out well.

16 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Ah so that's where the Beatles got their name!

That's just one of the legends...

As Finnish is a language that is mostly spoken as it's written it also reflects to other languages. Thus Beatles can be read Beat-less which in turns can be understood as "the Arrythmics" or "the Unbeatables" or even "the Tactless" which in turns can be both "out of pace" or "mannerless"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Thank you. I agree, I would have liked to have done a clear finish, unfortunately the other side and the end had to many dark areas of heartwood. It just wouldn't have ended up looking that good, so it was either a splotchy variation or do a burst.

. What you see on the left side here is what I mean.

Ppv4zb.jpg

• Like 1