table saw... I know I said I wouldn't but...

mistermikev

so was talking with my brother the other day about my guitar building.  was saying how I could have really used a table saw in building my latest speaker boxes, but didn't want to buy one unless I got a saw stop. 

Then all of the sudden I get a text on friday from his friend Ben who just moved here... he apparently had something my brother asked him to give me and wanted to drop it off at my house. 

my brother is always trying to encourage my woodworking... I am not worthy.  Him and my mother pitched in and this is what was in my garage when I got home (literally had me tearing up like a 6'2" 250lb baby):

DSCN4534.thumb.JPG.4904c5e2ae6ad22fc4d25c4213fe4bf9.JPG

a question if anyone knows: is it common to have to start the saw and cut through the blade insert?  I'm assuming that's what I need to do here because I don't know what the purpose of this plate would be if not, and I don't see another?

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

is it common to have to start the saw and cut through the blade insert? 

Whut??? That cover looks funny since there's no slot for the blade. Is it just a dust cover? For starting I'd use the "On" button on front left and then pull the big red latch surrounding the buttons to get the blade spinning.

Just now, Bizman62 said:

Whut??? That cover looks funny since there's no slot for the blade. Is it just a dust cover? For starting I'd use the "On" button on front left and then pull the big red latch surrounding the buttons to get the blade spinning.

right, no I know how to start it... what I'm asking is "is it common to have to make the slot in the insert by turning the saw on and raising the blade to make the slot in the insert".  This thing does have some hidden compartments so I'll look around some more but I don't see any other additional slotted insert.

Ahh, now I get you. The missing slot in the insert sure is strange. By the few Youtube reviews I quickly looked at only showed the wider blade coming through a wider slot which I thought belonged to a different insert instead of having to cut that too! Apparently RTFM'ing didn't reveal the secret?

1 hour ago, RonMay said:

You might try looking on ytube for some more information  concerning this.

Ron

thank you for the reply.  I've watched a couple of them but no one addressed this and it just seems like they had the slot right off the bat.

Your welcome.

I too looked at some videos and all the ones I saw (unboxing / setup) the slot was already there.

Perhaps it's an oversight of QC at Sawstop.

Be careful. Personally I would take small bites at a time like drilling a hole but in reverse raising and lowering the saw a little bit more at a time.

Good luck if you decide to go this route.

Ron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonMay said:

Your welcome.

I too looked at some videos and all the ones I saw (unboxing / setup) the slot was already there.

Perhaps it's an oversight of QC at Sawstop.

Be careful. Personally I would take small bites at a time like drilling a hole but in reverse raising and lowering the saw a little bit more at a time.

Good luck if you decide to go this route.

Ron

right... wouldn't want to shatter it or have a crazy kickback.  would rather just not do it because all I have is brand new blades.

thanks for the input.

• Like 1

Just now, curtisa said:

Read the fecking manual.

Y'know, that thing most of us blokes have trouble admitting we need to do when we get our hands on a new bit of kit and we convince ourselves we don't need no stinkin' manual ;)

ah... not in the manual... looked.  I always read the manual before I do much.  that's how I learned there was a secret compartment when you extend the table and also how I learned how to open it from the compressed position to upright.  but yeah, I freq don't read the manual until I have a question. 

35 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Sounds like you might need to enact the second level of not-blokeyness: ask the manufacturer.

It's OK, we'll understand :D

naw... there's no slot there... and on the new one's there is no slot... so 2+ 2 = 15... I just cut a slot.

4 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Yeah, I've never heard of that before.

Can't be right.

SR

yeah, I've seen folks make their own like that... just raise the blade... but on a new one - you'd think.  then again cutting yourself will give you a more accurate slot.

thanks again for all the replies... the very experienced community over at lumberjocks confirmed my thoughts.  There was a thread about a new insert for dado setup... and the procedure was as expected.  They had the added insight of clamping a 2x4 on top of the insert and then raise the blade into both to ensure no movement. 

anywho, mystery solved. 

• Like 1

Good to hear.

No matter how accurate the slot will become, not telling how to do it in the manual just isn't right. Reminds me of the rumor about having to print a warning about not to dry pets in a microwave... Then again microwave ovens are for regular dummies, based on the name that saw is for professionals.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Good to hear.

No matter how accurate the slot will become, not telling how to do it in the manual just isn't right. Reminds me of the rumor about having to print a warning about not to dry pets in a microwave... Then again microwave ovens are for regular dummies, based on the name that saw is for professionals.

well sir I'll have you know I am an EXCEPTIONALLY DUM DUMMY (I EVEN SPELL DUM WRONG)!  I'm in a whole nutha class of dummies.  (BTW, why isn't it dumbies, or IS it?) 

well, the accuracy of the slot does indeed prevent more tearout... but I have to think that the difference between cutting one and getting it cut from the factory would be minimal at best. 

Not sure I am allowed to use a professional saw... but given it will be just home use I'm hoping no one will notice!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

but I have to think that the difference between cutting one and getting it cut from the factory would be minimal at best. 

I fully agree. And if the accuracy of the slot were so important for getting it just right, wouldn't reinstalling the blade after cleaning ruin the effort? Not to speak about changing to a new blade? I smell the fishy aroma of snake oil in the accurate slot thing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

I fully agree. And if the accuracy of the slot were so important for getting it just right, wouldn't reinstalling the blade after cleaning ruin the effort? Not to speak about changing to a new blade? I smell the fishy aroma of snake oil in the accurate slot thing!

Well, changing a blade yes, reinstalling the sm blade shouldn't make much of a difference.  that said... the typical steel inserts I recall from industrial saws in the cab industry had a good 3/32 of gap on either side of the blade... if you did finished cuts on those you would get some tearout esp on hardwood...  albiet small.  then again... it can always be better.