My One and Only Relic Job - The Spanish Nelson (aka Drak's Trigger)

Drak

Typically, I don't much care for relics and relic'ing, I just have to get that out of the way.

I don't disparage others who choose to do it, I just personally never liked it.

But, Color me Guilty of Transgressions, for I surely have transgressed.

I can't remember exactly when or how, but a few years ago I stumbled onto Eastman acoustics, which led me onto a journey I won't go into here.

But that story isn't this story except it's the lead-in to me buying my first classical/flamenco/Spanish guitar.

And I loved that one so much too, and got such a great deal on it, and it played so well, I bought another almost just like it.

I hadn't owned an acoustic in over 25 years and didn't want one either.

And so, one of those guitars is what this story is all about.

If you've seen my other 'Cowboy Sunset' guitars, you know 'that southwestern sunset look' I love so much.

Unless I'm doing metal guitars, but that also is another story, another category, and not for consumption here.

So, I had a 'theme' in mind of what I wanted this guitar to look like, and you may find it funny, I did.

I don't know where the theme came from (my mind has many murky passageways, you know), but it is what I used to guide me along the way.

My theme was some old, cool Gaucho dude was found dead of purely natural causes in his small comfortable shack.

And when they found him, they found an old guitar (his, of course, well-worn and well-used) laying in the corner.

That was my working theme, and I think I totally pulled it off.

Toss in a teaspoon of Willy Nelson's Trigger for good measure.

Next posts will be the pictorial outlay of the relic process before, during, and final finished shots.

I finished it about a year ago, more or less, it's totally up and running now.

Personally, I absolutely love it, it's Exactly what I wanted and what I imagined, maybe even better.

• Like 2

So...I lied.

I really don't feel like posting dozens of progress pics 😩.

So you get before and after, and I'll explain everything I did in between.

I do have progress shots if you want to see anything in particular.

Before: Humdrum looking, everything is BROWN.

Variations of brown. Who knew there were so many brown variations?

OK, OK, I get it, brown is your thing. Wellsir, it's not mine.

And I am about to 'jack it up' <cue Willie and the boys playing Pancho and Lefty>

FWcJu7A.jpg

TJvJOUH.jpg

sXz9MPw.jpg

7ZdmbOY.jpg

Let's see if I can remember everything:

Body and neck sanded raw, a little distressing added, then dyed.

New waterslide soundhole rosette added (that original one was fuuu-gly)

Body and neck shot clear.

Body finish color (front and back) distressed via sand-through to taste, , then clearcoated.

Bridge and fretboard dyed black

Headstock veneer (flamed Maple) added, multi-colored dyed, then sprayed

Gold w/black buttons tuning machines added (which really sets everything off if you ask me)

Took it to my local luthier for a proper setup/bracing evaluation.

He found and fixed a minor bracing issue, plays and sounds like a dream now.

GuKugsz.jpg

OK, the Gaucho Trigger glamour shots and I'm outta here.

You have to kinda look close at the back, I distressed it by (purposely) sanding through my colorcoat.

Where you 'think' you see reflections of both brown and red, those aren't reflections.

It's really brown and red, just as it appears. I love it.

I shot the back just like I did the front and sanded it back until I was happy with it.

Then cleared it. Just like the front.

And the new waterslide rosette matches the new look so much better than the original, which I really disliked.

Adios Amigos!

qEQnsa2.jpg

dTgyX9A.jpg

9QNUk32.jpg

50uA53u.jpg

v1KLDf8.jpg

E2Cnqos.jpg

mMWYWl3.jpg

• Like 1

That's the sort of relicing I kinda like. Not making her looked abused or beaten to death, instead making it look like she has lovingly and carefully been wrapped inside a blanket - which may sometimes have been exposed to moisture only to steam dry when the sun burns every straw on the wide open pasture which explains the blotches here and there...

Thanks for the story!

On 1/31/2021 at 9:14 AM, komodo said:

Love it. Looks like Buster Scruggs may have owned that at some point.

I had never heard of Buster Scruggs until you said that, so I YT'd it and laughed my ass off for an hour.

But, this is actually and really the kind of music I use it for, I now have four nail file boards.

If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would have a nicely manicured set of right hand nails, I would have never believed you.

Well, Yngwie plays a little classical now and then, so I guess I'm in good company.

Natalia LaFourcade - Soledad y El Mar

• Like 1