How do i wire a push pull so that when its pulled up it acts as a blend for a coil split?

CallmeCatbread

i was given the idea to wire a push pull so that the switch activates the coil split on a humbucker and then the pot acts as a blend for the amount of coil split. I believe the method would be to where somehow when the pot is pulled up, it bypasses the control for the tone and instead becomes a control for the blend. Any ideas on how this could be done?

Try this (click to enbiggen):

Push pull spin-a-split.png

Pickup wire colours are as per Seymour Duncan, so if you're using a different brand of pickup you may need to transpose accordingly. I didn't have a model of a push-pull pot so you'll have to use your imagination a bit.

In case some details are a bit hard to make out:

• red and white wires from the pickup are tied together
  • green and bare (grey) wires from the pickup are tied together
  • the cap is 0.022uF (adjust to taste)
  • the pot is 500k

is a nice idea above... one I have not seen.  switch between split and tone pot.  

also... most push pulls I've encountered have the top lug engaged when down if I'm not mistaken... but then I believe I have encountered them both ways so... might want to test that with a multimeter before commiting!!

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

most push pulls I've encountered have the top lug engaged when down if I'm not mistaken

Mechanically the bottom lug has to be engaged when in the down position. The motion of the contact 'shuttle' inside the body of the switch has to follow the motion of the pot shaft when pushed or pulled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I could swear that I've encountered switches that work opposite of that.

9 hours ago, curtisa said:

To the best of my knowledge those push-pull pots have never operated differently.

There's a simple explanation: @curtisa lives Down Under and it's common knowledge that everything there is upside down compared to the Northern Hemisphere. Is this yet another proof of the US citizens' poor knowledge about geography, @mistermikev?

globe.JPG.278d118a1feb8a2088c7198f221f568e.JPG

14 hours ago, curtisa said:

Pot in down position, bottom lug connected to centre lug:

20210306_090440.jpg

Pot in up position, centre and bottom lugs disconnected:

20210306_090448.jpg

To the best of my knowledge those push-pull pots have never operated differently.

for the record... wasn't doubting you... just thought I had encountered one.  perhaps the cts version?  but I think those actually do work the sm.  perhaps the push/push version... I think I can concede I got it backwards but I do like @Bizman62 s explanation!

I'll offer my theory.

Yes, the contacts must physically follow the direction of the push/pull motion.

However, and I think this is what maybe throws people...

When you're working in the cavity, your brain gets 'oriented' to that situation, which is upside down appearing as right side up.

Then, you flip the guitar over into playing position, and everything is the opposite of what your brain accustomed itself to.

If for only an hour, the brain orients itself to upside down being right side up.

Its happened to me before, doing this very thing being discussed.