weird materials

David Chastain had a clear plastic strat body guitar, with a wood neck, black floyd rose and EMG in the bridge position. It's on the cover of the David Chastain CJSS 'World gone mad' album I have. Weird thing is that I'm trying to find a photo on the net of that album, but all the Chastain 'world gone mad' albums shown on the net, have a totally different cover than mine. So, it seems I got some super-rare edition of that album WOO HOO !

A friend of mine has/had (I haven't seen him in a while) a clear lucite (or other plastic, I'm not sure) BC rich Warlock guitar. It actually sounded pretty sweet. This was back when I knew very little about tone, sustain, etc., and although I can't define in detail the sound, it sounded very good.

I've been thinking it'd be cool to get a glass shop around town to make me a cut crystal body... expensive, but way cool.

I always liked those Erogodyne basses that Ibanez makes. Aren't they made from some type of synthetic material specially made to meet tonal requirements without worrying any hippies?

Have a look here: Oil Can Guitar

They have a surprisingly good tone.

Keith

wait a minute ! I don't think a can like that is strong enough in the area where the bridge is, to work right.

Ok, I have to read the site. Don't mean to sound so skeptical.

What I'm seeing looks pretty damn neat but I'm kind of shocked to read, so far, :

"Each AFRI-CAN Guitar is manufactured on the latest CNC manufacturing equipment to exacting tolerances"

those oilcan guitars do exist. i saw one in a shop on denmark street and thought it looked wierd but damn cool. the volume/tone pots have beer bottle caps as knobs lol

No, now that it's "sinking in" I believe it, and I haven't listened to the clips yet, but I know it can probably sound great, because I once heard a snow shovel that had a bridge, nut and guitar strings put on it. it was great. And a guy took an Ax, and put tuners at the end of the handle, planed a fret-board into the handle, Put a nut, then on the metal ax part, he put a bridge. It was then a violin. It sounded good. Just a little brighter than a real violin.

I might take the idea further by putting a bridge on my hand, and nut at my elbow, put some fret-slot down my fore-arm with a razor blade, arbor press them suckers in.

The Afri-Can guitars are made here in Cape Town. I spoke to the designer a while ago. Inside the can is a machined frame which the neck is fixed to. He designed and manufactures the pickups as well.

The inspiration comes from the local rural home made guitars and fiddles that have been using oil cans for bodies since cans became available and replaced the calabash for the sound chamber.

There's been a series of concerts over the last few years that have featured some of the musicians still playing some of these instruments. David Kramer, the producer/song writer/performer plays one of the Afri-Can guitars and has toured the country looking for musicians, to try record and preserve some of the music.

The music definitely has a link back to Europe and ties with blues, some sounds very Cajun. The old blues story about meeting the Devil at the cross roads to sell your soul for music is still very alive in the rural communities.

I bought a CD at the concert I attended. If anybody is interested perhaps I can find out if I can post a few clips, without infringing any copyright, as proceeds of the CD sales were all going to the musicians, some of which are extremely poor.

Keith

It sounds quite good. I think the only subtle thing I'm hearing on the higher strings that I don't like,is a little rattle, either from uneven frets, nut too low, or improper neck relief, but that can happen on any guitar. I guess I only heard it in one of the clips.

Sounds better than the etribe travel guitar.

• 4 weeks later...

I think theirs a link on the African Guitar site to their American agents. If not let me know and I'll give Graham from African Guitars a call and find out.

The exchange rate of South African Rand to US $ is about R6.50 to $1 currently so just divide the Rand price by 7 to give an indication of price.

Keith