Les paul special build(s)

Oh my! Such a simple thing as a matching truss rod cover can add yet another level of stylishness.

And your logo just keeps pleasing my eye - simple, yet dynamic and original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

I like the one with the black binding! Is that actually ebony?

One of them has an ebony top, it's actually an acoustic back which came in at about 5.5mm thick and it's about 4.5mm after thicknessing, that one has ivory/light cream coloured ABS binding. The other one is korina with tortoise shell celluloid binding although it's not that "shelly", something I'm a bit miffed about. 

• Like 1

I got a sealer coat on earlier. 2 thin coats actually to make sure I covered it properly. mixed lacquer 50/50 with thinners to seal it, and made the top pop nicely 😎

Then once that was dry I got the whole thing grainfilled. I didn't both taping off the binding, I just wiped it down with white spirit afterwards and it seemed to clean up quite nicely, but will give it a scrape if necessary once the filler is dry,

IMG_2465.thumb.jpg.3728a23a8999fbd3d5a68c56befeb7e1.jpg

IMG_2467.thumb.jpg.cfb2646e6be24eb2027b84828931916d.jpg

IMG_2466.thumb.jpg.1fab90b21bb952908007c675128121a2.jpg

Looking forward to getting some gloss on this one over the weekend.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 6:47 AM, ADFinlayson said:

I got a sealer coat on earlier. 2 thin coats actually to make sure I covered it properly. mixed lacquer 50/50 with thinners to seal it, and made the top pop nicely 😎

Then once that was dry I got the whole thing grainfilled. I didn't both taping off the binding, I just wiped it down with white spirit afterwards and it seemed to clean up quite nicely, but will give it a scrape if necessary once the filler is dry,

IMG_2465.thumb.jpg.3728a23a8999fbd3d5a68c56befeb7e1.jpg

IMG_2467.thumb.jpg.cfb2646e6be24eb2027b84828931916d.jpg

IMG_2466.thumb.jpg.1fab90b21bb952908007c675128121a2.jpg

Looking forward to getting some gloss on this one over the weekend.

What kind of gun are you using there? LPHV or LPLV......? Great to see and thanks for sharing!

38 minutes ago, Crusader said:

What kind of gun are you using there? LPHV or LPLV......? Great to see and thanks for sharing!

It's the Anest iwata LPH-80 from Sprayguns direct. I've seen it referred to as both but I think it's an HVLP gun, but it does use very little pressure, I was spraying quite high there for the flash coat but when applying clearcoat I'm spraying at 10-12 psi and it's like sprinkling self levelling goodness. Cant recommend it highly enough. 

• Like 1

My household has finally succumbed to the covid, My daughter, the mrs and I have all been pretty much out of action for a few days with fever, fatigue etc I but I was up and about doing some light duties this afternoon.

This one has had 12 coats of lacquer all in all so I pulled the tape. This ebony has so much cool stuff going on in the grain but it's really only visible with high gloss. 

IMG_2500.thumb.jpg.e21fa4e7464bfdab1ede8f993db0d00e.jpg

I didn't do my best work on the last couple of coats, didn't have the gun set up perfectly after stripping it down for a proper clean so I started wet sanding at 600.

IMG_2502.thumb.jpg.6889047bda8f469819b864e81e90f264.jpg

The whole thing has now been sanded with 1000 but I did manage to sand through one of the edges on the back and it needs a touch up but I'm not going near the spray gun until I'm back to 100%

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 4:51 AM, Prostheta said:

Stay well. I worried as soon as I read, "succumbed". Less of that!

Feeling much better thank you. Mrs and Daughter recovered much quicker than I did. Also made some progress on this one. Figured I've got 2 to wire up so might as well do them together. Way to shiny to photograph

IMG_2546.thumb.jpg.a805f5c82b945948545e6778740b8124.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Way too shiny

No such thing!

And the pickups match perfectly both for colour and size. At first glance it's not obvious that they're of entirely different type and shape.

Notice that this comes from a guy who thinks "cream" is just aged white having been exposed to sunlight and dust. 😉

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

No such thing!

And the pickups match perfectly both for colour and size. At first glance it's not obvious that they're of entirely different type and shape.

Notice that this comes from a guy who thinks "cream" is just aged white having been exposed to sunlight and dust. 😉

Ah but there are so many different creams, if you remember the pain I had trying to get matching on the orange one a few weeks ago. Actually I managed to find some "bone white" p90 covers on ebay, someone was selling a pair. (they're clearly Hosco light cream but I'm assuming they don't make them anymore). So on this one the pickup ring, p90 cover and the binding all have the same shade which matches the bone I used for the nut, and the switch enough is close enough not to notice. 

• Haha 1

Agreed, there's fifty shades of cream and pure white is also usually too harsh... And on an old guitar the naturally aged "bone white" looks perfectly OK, telling stories of smoky pubs and other less asthma-friendly atmospheres. Anyhow, at least on the pictures the colour looks good on the ebony.

• Like 1

I spent a good hour hunting around the workshop yesterday looking for the offcut from the top. I stashed it away somewhere safe knowing I wanted to make some back covers out of it but turned out I stashed it somewhere too safe... turned out to be behind a sheet of ply behind my wood rack. Then shaped some covers.

IMG_2540.thumb.jpg.1176294168cee996bfb0ac85b7a80da3.jpg

Jump forward a few steps because I don't seem to be very good at taking progress pics at the moment. 

It's now wired up and all good except the p90 seems to have really low output, and measured only 4.3k. I spoke to the chap that wound it and he said he's going to send me another one, so I guess it must be a short. Apart from that, I think this is my favourite build to date. 

IMG_2558.thumb.jpg.9c12cb2435fa9d2a14418efc4da3ec79.jpg

IMG_2557.thumb.jpg.7e2e7eaa66852165947f5e39784d2354.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

It's probably an illusion with the fingerboard inlays being smaller diameter and wider-spaced than most, but the neck feels wider to my eye than most. Is that a deliberate specification, or just me?

Not a super wide neck, 43mm at the nut. The dots are 4mm 

Got the body sanded on the maple one tonight and a coat of sanding sealer on the back and sides so I can apply some grainfiller without staining the maple edge. I normally do it by thinning an wiping on sealer a few times, but I couldn't be bothered so I just hung it up in the booth and sprayed from a rattle can. That's going to be a more expensive way to do it though, I think I'll just organise myself in future and spray a flash coat in the daytime in stead.

IMG_2655.thumb.jpg.5f59ddf43eae93141d6825c680b3326f.jpg

While the sealer was drying I got on with carving the neck. This one seams to have natures go-faster stripe. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a weak spot...

IMG_2657.thumb.jpg.fc504efb7e3320a2dc8d888f3f9ae9a6.jpg

• Like 2

Got a bit of stain on this one tonight. Started off with a light brown by mixing a heavily diluted purple angelus with a dash of yellow angelus although once dry it came out a bit greener than planned. 

IMG_2693.thumb.jpg.fd3c328d0d19f44bc8551ea514c2b58c.jpg

Then I sanded that back so it's mostly just in the grain.

IMG_2692.thumb.jpg.e2e9b617da509bd3c666b81497df7fce.jpg

Then I stained a purple teardrop. If my brown had turned out to be a bit less green, I might have been tempted to leave it this way. Bit "Hulk" though.

IMG_2672.thumb.jpg.951016588026ee5c5fdd2e5bb1321aaa.jpg

Then I knocked that back a bit with 320 to bring out some more of the figure in the darkest area and went over it with 2 coats of Crimson waterbased yellow

IMG_2675.thumb.jpg.e4240e2b3df6275aada5e7f9be924651.jpg

I seem to have lost a bit of my fade here around the pot holes but I'm putting that down to the fact there isn't as much flame here and that's predominantly where the darks are sitting. I'm going to give it a subtle dark burst so hopefully that will even it up a bit.

Then finally tonight I sanded the edges with 120-320 to get the natural binding rolled over. 

IMG_2683.thumb.jpg.abdeb23f2aefddaa2079436af3363110.jpg

Interested to see what sealer will do to it, might bring out the purples a bit more, hopefully it doesn't bring out any more green

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Weird schedule on that one, man. I think green is in your near future I'm afraid!

well if it is, it might all be sanded off and begun again. I'm not convinced though - purple was the base colour and purple and yellow nearly always make brown. 

We'll find out tonight and with any luck you won't get an opportunity to say I told you so 😂