Burl Table for the Wife

ScottR

19 hours ago, mistermikev said:

wow, with the "live edge" on that top... really looks like a tree... but sort of an artistic tree.Ā  noice.

Thanks Mike. I love the live edge.....but I don't think I can leave it like it is. All those sharp little protrusions look cool and will snag skin and clothes anytime someone passes to close. I have a feeling knocking them off and sanding them flush will result in bird's eye looking figure. Luckily I have lots of drops and scrap from the two previous burl top guitars I built, so I can do some experimenting before committing.

SR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Jesus that is a serious bit of wood. What's the betting in about a 100 years, someone turns your table top into a guitar.Ā 

Could happen. I used to have an old desk my uncle built in high school wood shop about 70 years ago that had a 2" thick slab of Cuban mahogany as part of its structure. It was sort of an ugly desk and I let it go during a move of house hold, before I ever conceived of building a guitar. That slab was enough for at least 4 guitar bodies....:(

Luckily, I still have an old coffee table from the same shop class with enough 2" 70 year old Cuban mahogany for two bodies.:)

Could happen.

SR

40 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Thanks Mike. I love the live edge.....but I don't think I can leave it like it is. All those sharp little protrusions look cool and will snag skin and clothes anytime someone passes to close. I have a feeling knocking them off and sanding them flush will result in bird's eye looking figure. Luckily I have lots of drops and scrap from the two previous burl top guitars I built, so I can do some experimenting before committing.

SR

you know me... always trying to throw a wrench into your designs lol!Ā  clear epoxy edge?Ā  epoxy holes so you could see the branches through the top?Ā  Well perhaps someday if I do one that will be what I'll do.Ā  Your stuff is always inspiring!

21 hours ago, mistermikev said:

you know me... always trying to throw a wrench into your designs lol!Ā  clear epoxy edge?Ā  epoxy holes so you could see the branches through the top?Ā  Well perhaps someday if I do one that will be what I'll do.Ā  Your stuff is always inspiring!

The current plan is to have a clear epoxy or resin edge, if I can figure out how to day that and follow all the cool little contours. The edges under all the little points look like they were formed by some thick viscous molten semi liquid that was poured onto a a flat surface and cooled into the shape it flowed into. There are no voids in the top that pass all the way through to allow you to see the branches, What voids there are going to be filled with turquoise chips, or something similar and the with resin. At least that is the current plan.

SR

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ScottR said:

The current plan is to have a clear epoxy or resin edge, if I can figure out how to day that and follow all the cool little contours. The edges under all the little points look like they were formed by some thick viscous molten semi liquid that was poured onto a a flat surface and cooled into the shape it flowed into. There are no voids in the top that pass all the way through to allow you to see the branches, What voids there are going to be filled with turquoise chips, or something similar and the with resin. At least that is the current plan.

SR

sounds like a winner... look fwd to seeing it come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot these last week, but just now sitting down long enough to post them.

The dryad inside made herself know to me and suggested that perhaps I was not seeing another branch within the yet uncarved portion of wood. I opened my eyes a bit and sure enough, there it was.

DSC04201.JPGDSC04202.JPGDSC04203.JPGDSC04204.JPG

SR

Ā 

Showed the last few posts to my wife. Here's what she said: Well that sure beats the burl table of her mother. And: That man has to be retired, there's no way a working man has so much time to spend.

10 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Showed the last few posts to my wife. Here's what she said: Well that sure beats the burl table of her mother. And: That man has to be retired, there's no way a working man has so much time to spend.

It was nice of you to share this with your wife.

I only wish I was retired. I guess I am retired on weekends, because I do get most of them to do with as I wish. The last 8 or 9 months worth of them I've wished to spend on this little project. I wonder if I've hit the halfway mark yet.....

SR

• 2 weeks later...

interesting, somehow I thought you were leaving that top part solid and from top down you wouldn't see the branches... are you putting a solid piece on top of that or perhaps a glass face?Ā 

would just be really cool to look down into the tree.

Ā 

really sharp and probably quite the challenge to capture the random-ness of a tree but you've done a great job of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 10:37 AM, mistermikev said:

interesting, somehow I thought you were leaving that top part solid and from top down you wouldn't see the branches... are you putting a solid piece on top of that or perhaps a glass face?Ā 

would just be really cool to look down into the tree.

Ā 

really sharp and probably quite the challenge to capture the random-ness of a tree but you've done a great job of it.

Sorry Mike. I saw this before the holiday travels and thought it was a re-post.

You are going to have to get down low to see the branches. This may be a table that sits on a table....

SR

• Like 1

Happy New Years everyone! Here we go again. Are we all ready for another one?

Well, whether we are or not, this is what we've got.

One nice thing about trees, is as long as you don't go with straight lines, pretty much any shape of limbs are believable. these are finally approaching the roughed in stage.

There is still lots of tweaking to do--fixing proportions, cleaning up edges and details and so on.

But at least most of the unnecessary wood has been removed.

DSC04227.JPGDSC04228.JPGDSC04230.JPGDSC04231.JPGDSC04233.JPGDSC04234.JPGDSC04235.JPG

Cheers!

Scott

Ā 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

most of the unnecessary wood has bee removed

Sculpting is sooo mysterious! I could take a sculpture and figure out how to pack it into boxes and even fill it with something to create a pile of square blocks. But even if that something was clear like epoxy and the figurine within was unmistakenly different to the removable stuff the end result would not be like the original!

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Sculpting is sooo mysterious! I could take a sculpture and figure out how to pack it into boxes and even fill it with something to create a pile of square blocks. But even if that something was clear like epoxy and the figurine within was unmistakenly different to the removable stuff the end result would not be like the original!

That is what is so great about creating. You get to decide what it will be. Well, in my experience the work piece always has definite ideas about what it wants to be; we collaborate. We get to decide when it is right. I think that is way simpler than trying to re-create something that has been done before.

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I saw this and thought of you

Ā 

May be an image of guitar and text that says 'STRATOCASTER TREMOLO Frucker SYNCHRONIZED WITH'

To be honest, it's surprising that I haven't seen that attempted before. And I'm surprised it never occurred to me either. The Fender headstock is begging for that, particularly the big CBS version.

Thanks for sharing!

SR

I've been working on tapering limbs and paying special attention to the junction of limbs.:) It is critical that the place the limbs come together is handled with delicacy and skill.

Also, a glass top has been mentioned several times, and while this is not going to get one, I do have the ability to mock one up with some polycarbonate.

DSC04242.JPGDSC04244.JPGDSC04246.JPGDSC04247.JPGDSC04248.JPGDSC04250.JPG

SR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

oh man... epoxy with some leaves embedded in it... being able to look through in some places and see the tree limbs... would be cool.Ā  Ā I'm sure what you've got planned will be just as lovely.Ā  looks great!

Thanks man! I guess that was a bit of a tease......a what if....

SR

• Like 1