Burl Table for the Wife

ScottR

When I received the top that became this guitar....

DSC02744.JPG

...my wife said, "You need to build me a table out of that".

And when the top for this guitar arrived....

DSC03102.JPG

....she just said, "Well"?

So when I was ordering top wood for the last guitar I built, (which incidentally was enough for two tops), I also got a nice slab of maple burl with a live edge completely around it.

So I finished that last guitar, waited out winter, cleaned the garage to a degree no one will notice, and began on the wife's table.

DSC03960.JPGDSC03961.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Of course you can also say it's a price tag, in which case you should leave it. I can't quite figure out the letter after the four numbers, it might be the symbol for Costa Rican colón -  in which case I'd still rub it off...

42 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Don't tell my wife, but I think it secretly wants to be a guitar.:rolleyes:

SR

well my wife keeps seeing beautiful chunks of wood i have and saying "that would work as a bath tub tray"... at that point the jig is up and I generally go with "hey you haven't bought a new purse in a while... you should treat yourself"... works every time!  hehe

33 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

well my wife keeps seeing beautiful chunks of wood i have and saying "that would work as a bath tub tray"... at that point the jig is up and I generally go with "hey you haven't bought a new purse in a while... you should treat yourself"... works every time!  hehe

That used to work. Now she just takes for granted that shopping is a constitutional right that she has a duty to pursue. At some point I have to make her something.

Hell, the plywood they put on either side of the burl for shipping has a cabinet grade veneer on one side. That did not escape her eye. She pictures that as perfect backing for a couple of hanging curio shelves! And I just built her one out of scrap zebrawood within the last couple of years.

SR

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ScottR said:

That used to work. Now she just takes for granted that shopping is a constitutional right that she has a duty to pursue. At some point I have to make her something.

Hell, the plywood they put on either side of the burl for shipping has a cabinet grad veneer on one side. That did not escape her eye. She pictures that as perfect backing for a couple of hanging curio shelves! And I just built her one out of scrap zebrawood within the last couple of years.

SR

well... happy wife happy life right!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

All will become clear in time.

I can see hints of - something... At least it's already obvious you're not just carving the right foot of Bigfoot!

• Haha 1