I just finished my first build and boy what an experience it has been!

It's all using reclaimed wood which I first had to joint, plane and glue up.  I found a bunch of cedar and so I used that for the body.  Then there was an old Oak headboard that I used part of for the neck.

It's obviously a Tele style guitar so a 25.5" scale.  I wanted to reproduce a Fender Tele that I have so I could sell it.  They sound REALLY similar so I put the Fender on sale today. 
I did build the pickups.  The neck is 8.3K and the Bridge is 9.5K (the Fender actually had HOTTER pickups!)

I used my favorite Fender-licensed locking tuners.

Bloodwood Fretboard and Oak Dot inlay.  Rolled fretboard.

The neck was lightly burned after I shaped and sanded and finished with Tru Oil.  Body is finished with Wipe On Poly and finished with a light coating of wax.  I also had to make my own scratch plate; my dimensions are slightly different from standard.

20221126_113052.jpg

20221124_204524.jpg

20221124_201310.jpg

20221123_155600.jpg

20221119_170027.jpg

• Like 4

Congratulations for the finished build!

14 minutes ago, soapbarstrat said:

I feel way more connected to the one I built, and became more distant to my factory made guitars.

One thing about the connection to your own build I find most valuable is that it’s a lot less intimidating to make changes and corrections than it is to make them to a factory made one.

• Like 4

Now that's a pretty and unique instrument! And you know exactly how it's been built, the quality of every joint and the humidity of every piece of wood you've used. Or on the other hand you know what you haven't taken into account or where you have made a mistake and fixed it.

I have two electric  guitars that I've bought and one and a half (a neck) I've been donated. I won't sell them as they all have a story. But if I had a guitar that's just a workhorse with no extra value I'd sell it if it can be substituted with one built by myself. That said, there's one that doesn't matter that much to me...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Nicely done, congrats. You might not know it yet but you're going to spend the next 5 years of your life in your garage and you're going to spend all your money on wood and tools.

Hi my name is Ash and I'm addicted to making guitars. 

Um, I have pretty much spent a fortune already on tools hahaha.  Especially since I'm basically putting together my own body blanks and am going to get into laminated necks.  haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soapbarstrat said:

I’ve seen a lot of people build their own guitar, but still prefer to play factory made guitars. After building one myself, I don’t understand those people. I feel way more connected to the one I built, and became more distant to my factory made guitars.

The only thing I can think of is the one they built isn't very good.

45 minutes ago, spindlebox said:

The only thing I can think of is the one they built isn't very good.

There was actually a member here who said something like that many years ago. He said he didn’t trust the guitars he built. 😄 I couldn’t help but imagining his guitars suddenly blowing up in his face or something 💥😲😄

He could have a brand called Timebomb Guitars.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, soapbarstrat said:

There was actually a member here who said something like that many years ago. He said he didn’t trust the guitars he built. 😄 I couldn’t help but imagining his guitars suddenly blowing up in his face or something 💥😲😄

He could have a brand called Timebomb Guitars.

HAHAHAH!  "This guitar will self-destruct in, 5,4,3,2............"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spindlebox said:

am going to get into laminated necks.

They can be very inexpensive considering wood costs! Currently I have a second grade slightly figured piece of maple that was intended to be a one piece Fender type neck but was badly warped. After replaning the blank was too thin for a single piece neck so I cut it length wise into half as outsides of a laminated neck. Obviously those two halves aren't wide enough so some strips are needed for the middle. But strips that are less than 1/4" wide don't have to be of AAA grade for a great effect. And they're easy to get, a three foot piece of hardwood can be found in a scrap bin...

• Like 1