what is your luthier bucket list?

3 hours ago, MiKro said:

Finish the last few guitars I need to do and then sell everything afterwards. Getting out of the business. Health issues are taking hold of me. :(

MK

I am sorry to hear this. You do great work. I hope the transition away from work decreases the effect of your health issues. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MiKro said:

Finish the last few guitars I need to do and then sell everything afterwards. Getting out of the business. Health issues are taking hold of me. :(

MK

what a loss to the guitar community.  we've spoke a lot about health issues and altho this isn't a business for me, in the back of my mind there is a clock ticking and the ever present question of "how long... how many guitars do I even have left in me?"  That was in the back of my mind creating this thread... reminding myself to organize so I know what is important.  it is my sincere wish that whatever those things are/were for you've achieved them (I'm sure you have).  

• Thanks 1

It's somewhat similar with Veijo, our tutor. He's now retired from the guitar business but keeps building with us - whether it's for his son or some old customer, many of his current projects seem to be just for fun. Notice that he even gets paid for using the workshop! Building in your own pace without having to worry about deadlines should fit almost anyone of us unless the health issues are too severe for even building as a hobby.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mistermikev said:

>snip<  it is my sincere wish that whatever those things are/were for you've achieved them (I'm sure you have).  

Not even close Mike.  Still have  4 or 5 guitar models I would like to build that I designed, but most likely will never happen.  Also have other things that I would love to do that won't happen either. It is what it is, my health takes front seat, getting old sucks Big Donkey Balls, having health issues added to that don't help. LMAO!!!! :)

MK

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MiKro said:

Not even close Mike.  Still have  4 or 5 guitar models I would like to build that I designed, but most likely will never happen.  Also have other things that I would love to do that won't happen either. It is what it is, my health takes front seat, getting old sucks Big Donkey Balls, having health issues added to that don't help. LMAO!!!! :)

MK

well I'm truly sorry to hear that mike.  the stuff I've seen you do has been really inspiring and I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg.  I think I can speak for everyone here when I say I'd love to see more of your builds... both past and future... but if the future is  not in the cards well we'll settle for past!

are you doing ok?  I don't want to pry... I just hope the best for you.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as I get closer to the bucket, the list gets shorter :rolleyes:

I will tinker with guitars and basses until my hands (or mental faculties!) stop letting me, but - having recently finished one must-do, which was the 'essence of Firebird' designed and built for my son-in-law and that I was delighted won this month's GOTM - I have two similar must-do's left:

- a conventional electric but spec'd like a made-to-measure suit for Matt Marriott, a UK pro-player who has been a friend and great support for a number of years.  The spec is agreed and wood should be being shaved in the coming month

- a Guilele/Guitalele sized acoustic for my two young grandchildren for them to learn play if they want to, or leave on top of a cupboard if they don't :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well, as I get closer to the bucket, the list gets shorter :rolleyes:

I will tinker with guitars and basses until my hands (or mental faculties!) stop letting me, but - having recently finished one must-do, which was the 'essence of Firebird' designed and built for my son-in-law and that I was delighted won this month's GOTM - I have two similar must-do's left:

- a conventional electric but spec'd like a made-to-measure suit for Matt Marriott, a UK pro-player who has been a friend and great support for a number of years.  The spec is agreed and wood should be being shaved in the coming month

- a Guilele/Guitalele sized acoustic for my two young grandchildren for them to learn play if they want to, or leave on top of a cupboard if they don't :)

looking fwd to it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At some point I would like to make a lightweight electric carbon fiber guitar, using the fabric in a mold. Not the glued panel technique I currently use. For example a build like the Rubato Lassie. Although my current way of working with CF produces some cool results, I would like to do something more economical and streamlined.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

At some point I would like to make a lightweight electric carbon fiber guitar, using the fabric in a mold. Not the glued panel technique I currently use. For example a build like the Rubato Lassie. Although my current way of working with CF produces some cool results, I would like to do something more economical and streamlined.

that is certainly a worthy goal.  I have oft thought why you just don't see a lot of fiberglass construction.  I believe the mosrite stuff (or some similar guitar) was all fiberglass... and there was a guy here on this forum that was doing some fiberglass... but it's just not common.

carbon fiber would def be cool too.  I loved the idea that parker was doing with the thin fiberglass over hardwood.  made for some impossibly thin/light guitars that were very stable and sounded great.  

anywho, here's to seeing you realize that.

• Like 1