I've just finished my first electric guitar build and couldn't be happier with how it came out, now I look to step it up by building an acoustic, more specifically a retro acoustic-electric 1959 Martin D-18E (the guitar Kurt Cobain played on the MTV unplugged set). I'm having a little trouble getting started, I can't find any plans online or any templates. Also since this is my first acoustic build I would appreciate every single bit of advice (even if it might seem obvious or stupid, please tell me anyways). I do have a few years' experience in woodshops but only one build's worth of luthier experience so any advice helps. Some questions I definitely need answered: What special setups, jigs, or tools do I need to buy/make for this? Definite "DO NOT"'s? What can I do (other than double check of course) to make sure everything is going according to plan while building? Thank you

Please advise,

Abram Tribby

I'm by no means an expert in building an acoustic but searching the Net gave some answers that may help you forward:

First, it's a Dreadnought and finding plans for those is a no-brainer.

Second, it has forward shifted X-shaped scalloped bracing.

Third, the top is of Sitka Spruce and the sides and bottom of Mahogany.

Searching for "martin dreadnought plans" gave plenty of results, the first one being this: https://genone-luthier-supply.com/products/dreadnought-guitar-plans

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Searching for "martin dreadnought plans" gave plenty of results, the first one being this: https://genone-luthier-supply.com/products/dreadnought-guitar-plans

I checked out the link you sent, it might be a good start but I see some differences between that model and the one I want to make - most importantly: it’s not setup to have the electronics like I want. I’ll attach a picture below to show what I’m looking for

image.jpeg

Hmmm....it's very unlikely you will find plans for that specific model.  It appears to be a standard Martin D18 Dreadnought (and the plans @Bizman62 suggests are basically that.  There are many other generic dreadnought plans available that also follow the same basic design) that has had a fairly standard 2-pickup electric pickup and switch system added.  A bit of a custom one-off! 

The provision for the electrics can probably either be put in as the build goes along or fitted retrospectively.  To be honest, the challenge will be building the dreadnought in the first place...it's a very steep learning curve from an electric to acoustic.  For my first one, I'm pretty sure I spent as much time building jigs than actually building the guitar.  And I'm certain I spent as much time watching Youtube videos and reading articles of what you have to do and how to do it as building the jigs!  

3 hours ago, AbramT80 said:

most importantly: it’s not setup to have the electronics

As @Andyjr1515 said the guitar is a standard Martin D18 with added electronics. I should have said that but it seemed so obvious.

Anyhow, building the acoustic guitar is the challenge, drilling some extra holes not so much.

• Like 1

Is it standard to to build the whole thing then add electronics or install the electronics on the top of the body before glueing it into place? I’m guessing it’s the ladder since it would be pretty hard to install those potentiometer without access to the bottom half of them

Usually the electronics are the last part to be installed. It's fiddly but if you put them in before gluing, how would you apply the finish?

To make things a bit easier, the electronics are pre-soldered to a harness so you don't have to do any soldering inside the guitar. In an acoustic with a round hole you can put your hand in to push the pots through the holes, with f-holes you'll often have to use strings or tubes to pull them.

You could potentially pre-drill the pot mounting holes in the top before 'closing the box', maybe even add the cutouts for the pickups. But as @Bizman62 says, the rest would just be a case of pre-wiring everything outside the guitar, sticking your arm in through the soundhole and feeding everything in place from the inside.

Realistically the original D18 would have been modified the exact same way. They wouldn't have removed the top and reattached it just to make installing the electronics easier.

@Andyjr1515 - I wonder how the bridge pickup interfers with the bracing? Isn't that pretty much where the major X-brace crosses through?

6 hours ago, AbramT80 said:

do I do anything to keep the wires from rattling around or will it be okay as long as there’s not too much slack?

Usually there's not too much slack, especially the wiring between the pots is quite exact. The jack and pickup wires often are a bit longer, partially because you may want to guide them around the sound hole(s) - although sometimes you can see a red wire crossing an f-hole... To prevent rattling you can wrap foam tape (window sealer) around the wire or try to attach the wire somewhere inside the body. Tape would work for some time but in the end most sticker type glues will fall off of bare wood as the wood breathes.

• Like 1