I think I'll make a green one.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, avengers63 said:

Your next project. Test those carving skills.

May be an image of guitar

i saw this on facebook... and it was my understanding that this was 3d printed... which is confusing cause it sure looks like wood.  I know the guy was saying his brother used to carve these... maybe I misunderstood.  that is a rediculous amount of details... but if anyone could pull it off... it'd be @ScottR !!

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

i saw this on facebook... and it was my understanding that this was 3d printed... which is confusing cause it sure looks like wood.  I know the guy was saying his brother used to carve these... maybe I misunderstood.  that is a rediculous amount of details... but if anyone could pull it off... it'd be @ScottR !!

It's just as possible that I mis-read it. In any event, I'm laying down a double-dog-dare for Scotty to rise to the bait ;) 

• Like 1

It sure looks like wood and based on the big magnifying glass and the bunch of mini drill bits at least some of the carving has been done manually. Whether the rolls in the back are filament or cable is hard to tell but in any case their colours don't match with the woody brown.

That's like @ScottR was making a 3D model of the @avengers63 Mucha theme on steroids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrim said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9e753bac40846e2d81d7e8d117594d71.jpeg

well it's official.  I'm no carver... but seeing this I thought it looked a lot like other 3d printed things I've seen with the carving going so deep... and seemingly having layers underneath layers.  If that is even possible via regular carving tools... man it'd be a colossal effort!  does look an awful lot like wood - enough so to have a number of respectable  luthiers "unsure" anyway (that means y'all and myself included allbiet arguably less respectable)

thank you for ending the mystery!

15 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

seemingly having layers underneath layers.  If that is even possible via regular carving tools... man it'd be a colossal effort! 

It is. In the Ivory Museum in Erbach, Germany, there's an ivory ball with can't remember how many (7?) figurative carved balls inside each other - and the balls were loose! Knowing that the tusks of an elephant are only 20 cm/8" thick at the max that ball had to be only about 15 cm/6" in diameter. And that was carved all by hand, power tools weren't invented yet. Well, maybe a treadle powered dentist's drill?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

It is. In the Ivory Museum in Erbach, Germany, there's an ivory ball with can't remember how many (7?) figurative carved balls inside each other - and the balls were loose! Knowing that the tusks of an elephant are only 20 cm/8" thick at the max that ball had to be only about 15 cm/6" in diameter. And that was carved all by hand, power tools weren't invented yet. Well, maybe a treadle powered dentist's drill?

• 3 weeks later...

Still no pickups. I've about got myself convinced it's a bad idea to route them before gluing up the top. the only plus is not having to fit a template around the neck.

In the meantime  we had an eclipse in the neighborhood yesterday. I was about 100 miles away from totality. I did the pinhole in cardstock thing where the sunlight shines through the hole and the bright little image is in the shape of the eclipse. While that was going on, I noticed the leaves in the trees were creating little pinholes for the sunlight to shine through as well. The tree shadows on my driveway were made up of images of the eclipse. WE were in a zone that saw 90% coverage of the sun.

DSC04540.JPG

DSC04541.JPG

DSC04542.JPG

After it was all over the shadows went back to looking like a tree.

SR

• Like 2

I mentioned earlier that  I tested the new band saw by slicing off a piece of mesquite. And I was practicing finishing techniques, This is that slice with worm holes filled with turquoise chips and finished with that epoxy resin table top finish. The wood has a crotch feather figure and the entire thing is chatoyant.

DSC04543.JPGDSC04544.JPGDSC04547.JPGDSC04548.JPG

SR

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

It got rescued from being BBQ smoker wood. Some of its plainer brethren made me some delicious baby back ribs yesterday.

SR

"I want my baby back, baby back, baby back...  get in ma belly wee man!"  hehe, I bet that stuff smells glorious to work!  it's on my bucket list and grows wild here but pretty few/far between stock w/o splits and/or wide enough for even 1/2 a guitar (at least in az).  that is a rare piece u got there.  beautiful.

• Like 1

Time to move on. I cannot route for my pickups, but there are a number of things that can be done. I took the screws out and separated the tops and made sure the gluing surfaces were flat. I repurposed some bobbin clamps to make bench dogs to hold the guitar shapes still whilst sanding.

DSC04553.JPG

Then routed pickup wiring channels.

DSC04555.JPG

Then glued the top on.

DSC04557.JPGDSC04559.JPG

My wife came back from shopping (of course) at this stage and glanced over....twice and said "that looks like it's in traction".

:blink:

"Damn honey, what an astute observation".

That's not at all far from the truth.

SR

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

I repurposed some bobbin clamps to make bench dogs to hold the guitar shapes still whilst sanding.

Clever!!! No sharp corners to notch the guitar.

11 hours ago, ScottR said:

Time to move on. I cannot route for my pickups, but there are a number of things that can be done. I took the screws out and separated the tops and made sure the gluing surfaces were flat. I repurposed some bobbin clamps to make bench dogs to hold the guitar shapes still whilst sanding.

Yes, I agree with @Bizman62 - VERY clever. 

Consider the idea stolen :D 

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Clever!!! No sharp corners to notch the guitar.

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes, I agree with @Bizman62 - VERY clever. 

Consider the idea stolen :D 

Thanks gentlemen. This option has been staring me in the face for years before I saw it. I used to use bits of urethane squeegee rubber which worked well too, but the screws would tear holes in them and destroy them. Problem solved.

Note the torx heads on those screws....I love those. No more stripping the slots like on standard and phillips  screw heads.

SR

• Like 1