I think I'll make a green one.

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Excellent!  Can't wait :)

Thanks Andy, but you're going to have to. I'm still about two and a half years from retirement, so unlike you and @MiKro I still only have weekends to work on this.

I am sooo looking forward to being in you guy's shoes....timewise.

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thanks Andy, but you're going to have to. I'm still about two and a half years from retirement, so unlike you and @MiKro I still only have weekends to work on this.

I am sooo looking forward to being in you guy's shoes....timewise.

SR

I would have traded places with you Scott many years ago if it meant I did not have the disabilities that I have had then or now. ;)  

MK

9 hours ago, MiKro said:

I would have traded places with you Scott many years ago if it meant I did not have the disabilities that I have had then or now. ;)  

MK

Cheers Mike!

Thank you no--I think I'll keep rolling the dice on my own infirmity lotto. I already know you've had poor rolls.

Have a scotch and put your feet up unless you're not supposed to... anyway relax and enjoy.

SR

18 hours ago, ScottR said:

I ran the teeth through some soap

I wonder if candlewax worked as well. Finding a soapbar in a supermarket is nowadays much more challenging than finding a candle! Liquid soap can't be sawn...

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

I wonder if candlewax worked as well.

I use paraffin on machine tables and have used it on hand saw blades too. But I would hesitate using it to fret slotting  as I’m afraid that any residue on the slots prevents glue from sticking to the them. For the same reasons I don’t use any lubricant in fret slotting. And that again is the reason I got fed up with sawing slots by hand and made a table saw jig.

But then I’m not sure how big of a problem it is if the glue doesn’t stick to the wood. As after all it’s not there to glue the fret wire to the wood. It is there just to fill any gaps and thus locking the barbs in place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ScottR said:

I still only have weekends to work on this.

I'm back to being in that boat. I start a new job today - overnight driver for a FedEx contractor. I don't want to drive overnights, but it's better than going back on the road for 5 days at a time.

16 minutes ago, henrim said:

I’m afraid that any residue on the slots prevents glue from sticking

Wouldn't soap leave residue as well? Or can it be washed off, resulting cleaner slots?

Joking aside, there's soap and there's soap. Some soap bars have more grease residue than others so they have similarities with candlewax or rather tallow.

But as you said, worrying about the glue not sticking is irrelevant for the said reasons. And although the saw teeth will be filled with the soap/wax, most of it will come off with the first strokes, mixing with the saw dust. Very little will absorb to the wood. I even suppose that your fingers may apply more grease into the slots! Not to mention that it's perfectly fine to polish the fretboard using oil before hammering the frets in, or that some fingerboard woods are very oily by nature - actually despite wiping the fretboard bottom with acetone before gluing it onto the neck I've never heard about cleaning the slots.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

actually despite wiping the fretboard bottom with acetone before gluing it onto the neck I've never heard about cleaning the slots.

Well, the glue is not doing the same thing in these cases.

Of course you don’t absolutely necessarily need to use glue for installing frets. It is just a safety measure. And it certainly can help if the fret job is not carried out meticulously. I don’t want to knowingly add any waxes, soaps or oils to the slots prior installing frets. But then we all have our own way of thinking what is perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, henrim said:

I use paraffin on machine tables and have used it on hand saw blades too. But I would hesitate using it to fret slotting  as I’m afraid that any residue on the slots prevents glue from sticking to the them. For the same reasons I don’t use any lubricant in fret slotting. And that again is the reason I got fed up with sawing slots by hand and made a table saw jig.

But then I’m not sure how big of a problem it is if the glue doesn’t stick to the wood. As after all it’s not there to glue the fret wire to the wood. It is there just to fill any gaps and thus locking the barbs in place.

I chose soap over wax because the soap is water soluble and looked to be easier to remove should the need arise, not that I expect it to. I rarely use glue on frets and then mostly to plug the end of a too deep slot with sanding dust.

SR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I'm back to being in that boat. I start a new job today - overnight driver for a FedEx contractor. I don't want to drive overnights, but it's better than going back on the road for 5 days at a time.

Good to hear John, congrats!

SR

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

I chose soap over wax because the soap is water soluble and looked to be easier to remove should the need arise, not that I expect it to. I rarely use glue on frets and then mostly to plug the end of a too deep slot with sanding dust.

SR

Yes, I can’t see much problem if you don’t use glue. I have done new boards with and without glue (re-frets all with glue). Using the methods I have used for the last two fretboards I will keep on using glue, although I’m pretty confident that the methods are precise enough so that the glue is not needed for the process itself. However in my limited experience I have found that the filler helps the frets to stay better in place when there are sudden humidity changes. Of course in the ideal world the instrument wouldn’t be exposed in to such conditions.

I just wanted to flag the potential risks before someone takes lubricant usage as a de-facto method. There are so many bad practices in guitar building world that are taken as go-to practices just because some one did that once on YouTube and others followed. On the other hand many things are done in one way because someone did so 70 years ago and nobody ever dared to question them.

So all in all using lubricant on a saw blade is a tried and working method in many cases. Doing so is fine for fret slots too as long as you acknowledge the potential issues if you choose to use a gap filler substance while installing frets.

• Like 1

I routed a truss rod channel. This time I routed it just a hair deeper than the rod.

DSC04390.JPG

I normally try to be exact, and then end up sanding down the top of the bar to make it flush.

DSC04392.JPG

This time I sanded the neck blank down flush to the bar. I used my flat sanding leveling sanding block, This is a base of 3/8" polycarbonite (perspex to the Europeans) glued to an old jack plane with enough weights bound to it to weigh about 5 pounds, You just push it around over the part you are making flat. The weight is enough to make it abrade and the fact that you are not adding pressure keeps everything even and flat.

DSC04393.JPG

It works and next I line up the fretboard and drill some pin locators. I've tried toothpicks but they don't hold up. Tiny brads work and they don't damage saw blades much......but they don't do them any good either. This time I've got some bamboo grilling skewers that should be stout enough to hold, and easy on saw blades as well.

DSC04395.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Bamboo pins are in. Also I paint a thin strips of petroleum jelly down the center of the truss rod bar and then cover it with scotch tape that has been trimmed near to the channel.

DSC04396.JPG

Glued up using a thick counter top section as a caul.

DSC04399.JPG

I'm taking an offcut from the top and bookmatching it to make a headstock plate.

DSC04400.JPG

Squaring up the edge that will be glued together for the bookmatch.

DSC04403.JPG

SR

• Like 1

You know how the more you sand a bookmatch, the further away you get from the perfect match? Well it's kind of cool to see the reverse happen from the back side. After leveling the top of headstock plate, I flipped it and started planing from the back so as to preserve the bookmatched surface.  The thinner it got the more bookmatched it looked--from the back.

DSC04416.JPG

Always save the offcut from your headstock angle cut.....assuming you make them the way I do. Not that you should.....

Using the offcut, I can cut the proper angle for my nut slot.

DSC04418.JPG

Then I pegged it to hold it in the proper place, and again used the offcut as a caul to give me parallel clamping surfaces on the angled headstock.

DSC04421.JPG

And somehow I ballsed that up. Even using a nut blank as a spacer, something moved. It had to be during the clamping whilst locating the pins....that were there to keep this from happening!

DSC04423.JPG

So, now I get to do my first repair during this build. The little slice I cut off making the nut angle didn't get destroyed. I have to flip it over to keep the angle correct. Since it had been thinned down and was getting close to the bookmatched surface the grain on the back was pretty close to the same as the grain on the front. As I sand it thinner it will get even closer.

DSC04427.JPG

SR

I like to drill my tuner holes before thicknessing the headstock. That way I insure I don't get any tearout where the bit pops through. It's better than a backing board. Also important to make sure your bit is 90 degrees to the surface.

DSC04429.JPGDSC04430.JPG

Then It's time to cut to shape,

DSC04433.JPGDSC04434.JPG

SR

• Like 3