Lookin for a good amp, with not much money...

validpretense

do you use the distortion on the digitech? or are you looking for a good tube amp with distortion??? or do you just need a clean power amp and speakers to amplify your digitech setup??

most people are probably going to sujest a used tube amp, but I'm not exactly the encyclopedia of tube amps....

the mg100 is decent for the money...the avt150 has a really cool acoustic simulator that makes your electric ring like an acoustic.

but a better alternative to the mg 100 imo is the randall 100 watt head with the inexpensive but decent behringer cab.the sound of the randall is quite similar to the mg..but better imo

head

cab

I wouldn't say that the MG100dfx is loud, My 130 watt trace elliot amp and 2x10 cab is way louder! but its special! :D I would go with the randall though, heard it and was impressed.

i have a MG100 pre DFX... but i've played the DFX models in stores, i don't really like the amp at all, the onboard distortion sounds like someone hurling.. and like I've said before, i only use it as a slave to my roland amp now...

just my 2 cents though, maybe i had the misfortune to play and own only the defective models...

If you are looking for really good sound, then save more money and buy something good. I was looking for a great amp since I started playing and I went through two amps I only bought because I had not more money available at the time and was always frustrated about my sound, until I ended up with a 5150 head + 4x12 Peavey cab. One of those amps even was a Marshall valve combo, namely the 6101 Anniversary series. Had I bought the 5150 in the beginning I would have saved money and had a great sound from the beginning. If you really look for "that" sound, forget about getting it cheap. You simply won't find it without paying for it. If you look for good sounds cheap then buy a POD. In my opinion all the Marshall transistor amps mentioned above do not come close to it at all. The POD's simulations of real tube amps are kinda close and beat most transistor amps in my opinion. You could use the POD until you have enough money for the real deal.

Just my 2 cents,

MK!

Check out ebay. You can get a 5150 for under $400 probably. And then buy either a used cab or one of those 180 dollar behringer cabs, they arent the best but it should work until you cna afford a better cab. Or get a B-52 STEALTH SERIES AMP. there great for the money. One of the best solid state amps ive heard in awhile. $600 for the halfstack http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=04...ase_pid/481301/ and heres a blemish head for 298 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=04...se_pid/481300X/ so that head and the behringer cab should be only a little over your price range