Need full size outline for Flying Vee

Well, I'm starting to get my blanks ordered for my Schenker project guitar and I'm missing one vital thing... A TEMPLATE!

I normally take 4 sheets of printer paper, tape them together and outline an existing body with a sharp pencil and then transfer that line to the body blank. So, if you own a Flying V could you be so kind to do that for me? It would be nice if the lines where taken from a real Gibson V.

Or for the CAD CAM saavy people out there, perhaps you could print out a full size drawing of one, assuming that there is one available.

I'll be happy to pay for the postage.

Let me know if you can help me out here. Thanks!

Wow, I've been off line all day and there's been a ton of responses.

Thanks for posting the excellent picture BLS! That will be a good reference to put things in the proper place. I also have a picture of an early prototype Gibson V in a natural finish with a slightly different control layout.

I have mixed feelings about trying to reproduce a Gibson B&W V. Yeah, that's his trademark, but I want this as my project to show my personality too. I want to put some of the features that I would like to see in this guitar. I'm even going to tweak the pickups to make them a little special too.

But, I can't get ahead of myself just yet. I don't even have my wood or pattern yet. The electronics (even with rebuilding pickups) is the easy part.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Mine is going to be quite special. Do your own thing. I amdebating between a 25" scale or 24 3/4". I think 24.75 is best, cuz it matches the original. I had an idea to make the body out of maple and walnut and leave it natural.

Mine is going to be quite special. Do your own thing. I amdebating between a 25" scale or 24 3/4". I think 24.75 is best, cuz it matches the original. I had an idea to make the body out of maple and walnut and leave it natural.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...?showtopic=1927

25" scale natural finished walnut and alder.yours should look almost identical since maple and alder are about the same color

just in case you wanted a preview :D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I meant half would be walnut and half would be maple. Like a Shenker V in natural. Should look quite killer. It will be in the works soon.

Cool. I'm going to repeat a little of what I did on the amber guitar. Nigerian Satin wood top, PVC binding, and a transparent Black finish (if I can figure out how... more experiments).

Yeah, I was going for the 24 3/4" scale too. There's something so slinky feeling about that scale.

Anyway, I'll post pics as things progress along. Right now I'm fighting with these cad cam programs. :D

Cool. I'm going to repeat a little of what I did on the amber guitar. Nigerian Satin wood top, PVC binding, and a transparent Black finish (if I can figure out how... more experiments).

Yeah, I was going for the 24 3/4" scale too. There's something so slinky feeling about that scale.

Anyway, I'll post pics as things progress along. Right now I'm fighting with these cad cam programs. :D

transparent black...seal the wood,level the sealer,mix black dye(not stain,dye)with the finish you are using(nitro?)spray the dye coats(glaze coats),and finish out in clear

nah theres a Gibson V w/ a tribal design on guitarbuild.com

http://www.guitarbuild.com/modules/mydownl...visit.php?lid=9

Well, I've had some luck with the Flying V drawing. There is a slight problem in that I can't seem to get it to print at 1:1. Anywho, I was able to get it printed on a single page and that has been really helpful.

There's some creative difficulties in getting the right pieces of wood to make a V. It occured to me after playing with post-it notes on the drawing that there was a simple way to cut a bog standard body blank into 3 pieces and it would be PERFECT to make a V body. It's so perfect in fact that I have to think that Gibson actually planned it that way to minimize waste. I'm really impressed.

I have some nice curly maple on the way for the neck, and I'm thinking about using some light weight Ash for the body. The fingerboard will be ebony because I love the feel.

That's the plan for now. Feel free to offer opinions or suggestions on the wood choice.

I just did this last night.I went to fender last night and picked a guitar I like.I save the picture and crop the body.Then all you need is a measurement like width at last fret.Set your printer to print poster.Print it out and take measurements to see how close you are.It took me two tries but I like the size I came up with.

That h/h bookmatched flame maple tele :D .