what floyd rose do you like??

fguihen

whats your favourite floyd rose or Variant??please say why  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest AlexVDL

I'd go for the Ibanez Edge just because of the looks and weight. But as for quality, I should say Gotoh!!!! Definately!

The knife edge of all Ibanez trems (don't know about the new ones) are very soft and will wear quick.

The best tremolo arm insert has to be the paul reed smith or wilkinson vs100 versions. The ones that just pop in, without any nylon rings etc. You can adjust the tension... same with the gotoh version, but the nylon/teflon ring doesn't close. there's a gap at the end, so the tremolo arm is going to get loose in time.

:DB)

Well I went predictable and went for the Low Pro Edge... I just dont think money can buy a better or more playable whammy at the moment. The things this can do are really what the industry matches itself to in my opinion...

... And mayonnaise is great in food fights!

VIVA LA MAYONNAISE! B):D

Kahler Steeler!!!!

Now, this is NOT a normal Kahler.

It is the Kahler "FLOYD" that used to be on Carvins, Tom Andersons, and ESPs.

These thing were SO superioir to Floyds that rumor has it Mr. Floyd Rose pulled the lisence from Kahler because they were being made better than Original Floyds!

Dave K

WD. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Height adjustment screws for each string and it works really smooth. Maybe because I'm the one who installed it ? Yeah maybe. I have an orignal Floyd factory installed to compare it to. I can't find any flaws about the Floyd or how the factory did the routing and drilled the holes, but the WD feels a little smoother when using the tremelo.

I'm sick of saying good things about the WD, but you asked.

Never tried an Ibanez. I currently have a Fender system one (had 2 , but just sold one), WD and the Floyd. I don't use tremelos anymore and if I ever do again, I guess I'd prefer a stock vintage-type Fender model or copy.

Give me a strat with a hardtail bridge with 3 brass Tele saddles on it and I'll be happy taking it and a little amp out in the shed and play some 'backwoods metal '

• 4 weeks later...

I have a feeling that there are far more ibanez (JEM) fans here than old-school Kramer fans so I'm not surprised by the results of this poll so far B)

the OFR is, and will always be, the real deal IMO. I cannot think of anything that could be better on it. honestly. some of you will say that it's not as comfortable as a lo-pro edge or similar, but since I don't rest my hand where the finetuners are that doesn't bother me at all.

plus it has "the look" :D

i thought gotoh made the lo pro for ibanez.that's what's on my ibanez and the inserts are hardened steel.am i wrong alex?one question though my sabre has all chocolate brown hardware on it but the humbucker mounting ring and the tremelo are starting to peel.where can i get chocolate brown replacements?

Guest AlexVDL

Yeah the lo pro is made by gotoh, but I meant the gotoh floyd rose model. The one with gotoh on the trem. They are far superior to the OFR or schallers IMO.

Chocolate brown hardware?? You have any pics???

I'm surprised you see the lopro knife edges wearing quickly alex. They are a very high rockwell number hardness, I have Edge's that are 16 years old and been used alot, and though they aren't perfect anymore, they still center far better than any other trem I've worked on or had.

The ONLY 2 trems I've seen that centered at neutral as well as a properly set up Edge or LoPro Edge was the Vigier ball bearing trem, and the Parker Fly trem. But they don't allow as much pitch change as the Edge systems either.

my vote was lopro

Guest AlexVDL
I'm surprised you see the lopro knife edges wearing quickly alex.  They are a very high rockwell number hardness, I have Edge's that are 16 years old and been used alot, and though they aren't perfect anymore, they still center far better than any other trem I've worked on or had.

Hi Jeremy, I had about 7 different new ibanez guitars in the store I work in (also 2 guitars of my own including my recently bought UV777BK which is 2 years old) which had bad knife edges. There were little brims etc which caused the trem not to center properly. If you sharpen the edges it will be fine, but once you turn the studs for height adjustment the knife edge is worn again a little, so is the stud. So in my opinion the steel is a bit soft. I never had that problem with my Gotoh trem. But it's just a very little problem and could be easily repaired once you get the hang of it.

The Gotoh floyd is far superior to others because in this model they have thought about everything:

1. the bridge saddles are clothed at the front. So when the intonation screw is a bit loose the saddle won't fall off by sliding backwards.

2. under the saddles there are little bumbs which fit into a groove in the baseplate. This way the saddle can only move forewards and backwards. No movement to the sides.

3. The holes in the baseplate for the intonation screws are compensated to the intonation. So the holes aren't aligned straight like all othher trems, but the holes at the G string is moved a bit backwards, also the ones for low E, A and D strings.

4. the tremolo arm can be adjusted for tightness.

But I have to say, for the looks and feel I'd go for the Edge tremolo!! I also like the pop in trem arm, but the teflon rings keep wearing out so I have to buy lots of them to keep the tremolo stiff and tight.

:DB):D

• 1 year later...