custom burst

Still doesn't work...

...and please, delete the image link from the first post, it pops up a login request everytime you view it or post to the thread, which is a PITA. There are instructions on using Smokey Joes free pic hosting in the offtopic section.

Yes it is possible to burst a guitar like that and probably not to difficult (use a texas shaped cut out), but personally the Texas theme is a bit too much. It just doesn't look right. I bet the Wes will like it though. :D

If you already know how to do the rest, the Texas theme is easy, just cut out a piece of cardboard or something (I use cardboard) and make a little standoff to hold it in the air slightly, (I use a little block of wood w/ 2-sided tape).

If you tape it to the wood, the outline will be too defined...keeping it in the air makes the transition softer when you're airbrushing the edges.

Personally, I didn't like it at all, but to each his own. :D

Not the sort of design I'd like, but in my opinion it would look better if the edges were more defined - as its done in the mock up it does look too untidy and I dont think the design is done justice by having half of it hidden under the hardware - possible a smaller sharp outline masked in the normal way would be better - have it on the upper left of the guitar ( think Slash custom shop les paul sort of thing ).

I think I remember seeing a similar guitar ages ago - it was black with the state outline done in abalone quite thick - that didnt look too bad as the design was all visible.

Must be something about Texans though that they have this strange need to put the state image on everything they own ! :D

yeah, the bottom pic in the post above looks better - maybe slightly smaller and a bit higher up so its not touching against the tailpiece, but I think as a design that is more appealing.

one thing to remember with any custom guitar design is looking at how it fits with the existing body shape, LP's are quite difficult to design for as the hardware gets in the way of everything - bold designs like the ZW Bullseye work well, and small designs in clear areas, but pretty much anything else will start looking cluttered.

still dont think I'd got for something like that on my guitars, but then being in the UK if you start putting the union jack all over things people think you are National Front and you risk getting a kicking :D