PRS Copy

Guitarfrenzy (2.0): I just realized your concern regarding the truss rod. The picture is VERY misleading, I must have taken it at just the right angle to omit any shadows. The dark portion you see is actually the ajusting nut of the truss rod sticking out just a little. The actual route extends about another inch or more after that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i rough cut the profile of the back of the neck with a band saw, and then used a belt sander to get it to thickness. Once that was done, I went back and forth across the drum of the belt sander and various angles until i had a roughly round shape on the back. Then I began going at intermediated angles to get rid of the rough steps, until i had a relatively smooth, but perfectly round back. I then hand sanded starting with 60 grit and finishing with 400. The whole time I checked it towards a light to make sure the curvature and thickness was still consistent. Sorry for the delay in the update.

Looks like things are nearing a close! :D

prsf2.jpg

These pics are just what the guitar looks like after lacquering. Theres been no wetsanding or buffing yet. There will be many more pics once that stage has been completed.

I managed to find some great black lacquer. If anyone ever needs to put a finish on the guitar, but cant afford the buffing equip and time, ACE Hardware (i dunno how far the chain reaches) has these cans of "Instant Drying" Gloss Black Lacquer. The pics you see are the dry lacquer...

Would that be the Ace hardware that's "just right across from the mall on Center St."?

:D

Looks like it turned out to be a good looking axe, man. When I get back to KC this summer, I'll have to scrape some cash together and build something cool too. Can't wait to see the pix after you're done buffing out the finish and assembling the guitar.

prsf.jpg

For those that asked :D

man that's great work, almost reminds me of a cosmo black guitar! (if there were such a thing)

2 little things caught my eye though, where's the 4th hole for the neck pickup ring? lol and is the whole bridge routing and screw holes angeled back or something?

1. Hadn't drilled it yet!

2. Yes and no. The screw holes are aligned right, but one side of the bridge route is slightly angled. The template started sliding, and I didnt notice right away, the bridge installes square, and you can't see the mistake.

prsb1.jpgprsb2.jpg

The bridge still looks crooked in this pic because it is just resting in the hole, not installed, so it slants with the slanted side :D

Finally got around to doing all the wetsanding tonight. I started with 400 grit, then 800, then finally 1200. Its nice and smooth now. I'd post pics but I didn't take any, but it really looks the same, with just a dulled finish.

I took it over to Kirk, and he's hopefully gonna start polishing tonight. Within a day or two he should have it polished and wired, and then I'll get the neck angle to spec and glue her in...

Then I'll tell ya how she plays.

cool, can't really make out the bridge offset now you're right! once you get it screwed in fully like you said i'm sure it will look dead on!

she's a beaut!

That is a fine looking guitar for sure!

It's too late for me to do it on the one i'm working on, but what method did you use to put the recess in under the knobs and switch? I wanted to do that on my SG i'm doing but I couldn't figure out the best way to get it uniform.

I was thinking a dremel with different sized grinding bits for depth..... or a graduated rout, but in the end I just didn't want to ruin my hardwork!

Whats the secret?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the super long delay in posting, i've just been so busy lately (i just graduated from high school, yay!) and havent had time to finish the guitar or post, but here it is!

First order of business, mikestro, my secret is this End Cove Router bit from Sears. It's the only one i could find anywhere ($30)

covebit.jpg

Here she is! The maple on this thing weighs a ton, as does the mahogany (it was really dense & hard) and as a result, the tone is out of this world and so is the weight!

finishfront.jpg

finishback.jpg

finishbody.jpg

This no flash pic gives a better idea of the color of the instrument as a whole.

finishdark.JPG

And finally a good pic showing off the carve!

finishside.jpg

It's been great, and long, but im glad its done!

Peace and Love

Mitch (and Kirk, too)