Projects I am working on.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I can see why MIMF prefers not to have their members post any works in progress unless illustrating a point. Definitely does not show you at your best, no matter how good you are at building guitars. But I'm still open to new concepts and ideas and trying to make them work, thats called "progress".

I'm not sure I agree, I tend to think that good workmanship shows through the whole process, and often the difference between great work and average work is at it's most noticable when the work is in progress.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all that.... thankyou Jeff.

Now can you see i was trying to help, and not singling you out as someone to pick on?

As for time vs quality. Time is irrelevant as far as im concerned. I spent 5 hours grain filling and finish sanding a single guitar today, stained it, scraped the bindings, taped up the neck, and sprayed a coat of clear two pack, only to see marks in the timber. Quality is more important than time, so i will start stripping it all back tommorrow, and start again... so, thats another full lost day. Its MUCH better to lose a day or so now, than lose many customers because of "defects" in my work. Remember, people remember bad workmanship, and will tell others, much more than they will talk about great work.

No Perry, Thank you.

If you hadnt said what you said (and others too, setch, drak, ect) I would still be where I was. Now I am working on my discipline, and for a smoker, it can be expensive and frustrating :D . BUT uit is well worth it. I feel better not doing a half assed job I have to cover up later. But I smoke a little more. Then after I get dome with the cig, I look and say, "OK, I could still use some work here, but that spot looks MUCH better."

And Perry, now I know what I have to look foreward to B) Stripping a finish because something didnt quite work. But this isnt something I am doing with someone else name, and If I want to have credibility and show integrity, I need to work on that.

After all that.... thankyou Jeff.

Now can you see i was trying to help, and not singling you out as someone to pick on?

As for time vs quality. Time is irrelevant as far as im concerned. I spent 5 hours grain filling and finish sanding a single guitar today, stained it, scraped the bindings, taped up the neck, and sprayed a coat of clear two pack, only to see marks in the timber. Quality is more important than time, so i will start stripping it all back tommorrow, and start again...  so, thats another full lost day. Its MUCH better to lose a day or so now, than lose many customers because of "defects" in my work. Remember, people remember bad workmanship, and will tell others, much more than they will talk about great work.

No Perry, Thank you.

If you hadnt said what you said (and others too, setch, drak, ect) I would still be where I was. Now I am working on my discipline, and for a smoker, it can be expensive and frustrating :D . BUT uit is well worth it. I feel better not doing a half assed job I have to cover up later. But I smoke a little more. Then after I get dome with the cig, I look and say, "OK, I could still use some work here, but that spot looks MUCH better."

And Perry, now I know what I have to look foreward to B) Stripping a finish because something didnt quite work. But this isnt something I am doing with someone else name, and If I want to have credibility and show integrity, I need to work on that.

Thats it!!!!!

My motto is....

If a job is worth doing, its worth doing properly :D

Agreed! Now I have some serious mental work to do. My eyes need to spot what is wrong, and my mind needs to know how to fix it. B)

Seriously, thanx man. I gotta do this right, otherwise, I might as well give up and be a drummer.

Concentrate on one project at a time and be determined to do it right. Take your time to get each detail in the building process right and accept nothing less than the best you can do.

Copy a shape you really like and make/buy a template, that way you'll get way cleaner results.

Kinda funny here. Drak is moving up to a Carved top and all, and I am gonna do a Tele. LOL This is great. I guess thats how it goes tho, cuz sometimes we need to take a step back to leap foreward. Or something like that. Thank you :D

PS. I am thinking thinline. Honestly, do you think that'll be too hard?

Harder? Likely. TOO hard? Nah. Not that I've built one, but my project is basically a thinline-style guitar (not tele, obviously) and although I've had to learn a bit about the extra steps, it doesn't strike me as a 'harder' project but definitely as one with more steps and more things to be meticulous about.

To be honest with you, though, I'm already looking forward to building a plain old PLANK of a guitar, so you might find a regular telecaster satisfying.

Greg

PS. I am thinking thinline. Honestly, do you think that'll be too hard?

Piss easy!! Im making one now for a client... headless, with some steinberg style hardware, ebony board, gargoyle inlay from 11-13 frets, compound radius, electric blue paint work, pearloid custom pickguard, and a cool "f" hole.

I havent done any cleanup. That was right after I got it out. There's glue and wood mix. No rot. Its a multipiece mahogany bod, so....

Wow, in the 2nd pic it looks way wierd! It really doesnt look like that. ***??

Sent :  Thursday, May 20, 2004 11:39 AM

To :  jeff_n_lisa_litchfield_2@hotmail.com

Subject :  Update on new construction... ( From Project Guitar Forum )

|  |  | Inbox 

Litchfield Custom Gutars,

macmacaholic has sent you this email from

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php.

Since it looks like your thread has been hi-jacked, I was just curious if you

have gotten any more done on the 6 degree neck/flush mount Floyd Rose? I'm

beginning a project now with a Floyd Rose (Les Paul Jr inspired body) and just

curious about neck angles and what not. Since you have figured it out on paper I

was wondering if it was successful or not. Thanks!! J.C.

I have kinda backed off and am doing more sanding on the DC than anything. Also, the new neck came for my LP. I am currently fitting it. And my TELE is soon to be underway! Pics of the neck soon! :D