floyd rose

When the strings are off (and the springs are still on), the bridge will get pulled down into the back side of the routing. It's usually a good idea to put something under it to keep it from denting the wood/finish beneath. I have not seen one come off the posts though. The angle of the post tips (don't know the right term) keeps the bridge from comming loose. If the posts were just a cylinder, it probably would come off (maybe).

Was that an OFR by any chance? I have an OFR in one of my guitars and it took all of 2 months for it to have problems. I think I was responsible for it though - I did my adjustments with full string tension.

I have a couple of Schallers that I was a bit more careful with and they return to 0 perfectly (at least to my ears) every time. Something about those Schaller Floyds with the stewmac posts - great stuff - it feels solid and plays great. I don't mean to bash OFR's - I'm sure I'd be fine if I didn't adjust the height with full string tension a few times :D.

Concerning the stewmac posts/bushings - they are a bit taller (the bushings) but they are also smaller in diameter than the standard floyd bushing. If you're building a new guitar - I strongly recommend them - I have not had a problem with them yet but have had issues with some of the floyd posts. I have been told that they are hardened posts which apparently is not true for the posts that come with floyds (I find this a bit strange but, eh...).

So, if you're putting these into a guitar that already has the post holes drilled - I wouldn't use the stewmac bushings (unless you're up for re-drilling). If not, check them out - they are very good quality.

Also - the bridges that stewmac sells are the Schaller Floyds. They have a 14" radius but come with a 10" radius locking nut (1 5/8 R2 nut). I personally like the Schaller floyds - some prefer the OFR's. Warmoth sells the Schaller floyds cheaper - I think. Just some info for ya - hope it helps.

thanks alot daveq

i am working on my explorer, which had a standard strat style tremelo on it, i have filled the screw holes and am now working on getting the FR in. i have already bought the floyd bridge from a friend, and just need the posts, which i will get from stewmac. my friend gave me a body that used to have a FR2 in it, like mine, so im gonna mimmick those routes onto my explorer.

hey urbansmurf...that type of idiocy(insults like asshat)is not permitted...and depth of the rout varies with things like string to body distance and personal preference...

if you want answers,that is not the way to get them

by the way i edited it ,for those of you wondering what i am talking about

the depth wouldnt vary due to that, bridge height is adjusted with the posts

thanks, though!

i am familiar with how a floyd adjusts :D

i guess i just forgot that you already know everything...my bad

on a serious note depth is usually about 1/2"...but it VARIES like i said...i make mine about 1/16" deeper than that

the depth wouldnt vary due to that, bridge height is adjusted with the posts

thanks, though!

i am familiar with how a floyd adjusts :D

i guess i just forgot that you already know everything...my bad

on a serious note depth is usually about 1/2"...but it VARIES like i said...i make mine about 1/16" deeper than that

It still amazes me that people with absolutely no idea wish to argue and insult others who post messages to assist. Oh well, another for the plonk file....