Bandsaw size

Id say go for anything larger than 14 inch, but the prices really seem to shoot up over that size. Ive lost access to the 29 inch 3hp band saw ive used to date, and i'm looking at getting a 19 or 21 inch model. Pretty expensive though, but will pay for itself reasonably quickly i guess. In the mean time, ive been paying $20 an hour to use the local wood school's bandsaw.

This is what i have my eye on HERE

I have a 14" JET bandsaw that I use a lot. It's great for everything but resawing. For that, supposedly, you need the riser block but I haven't tried that yet. I'm just not sure the 1 HP is enough to do the resawing job.

So, if you've got a tight budget I'd think about a 14" bandsaw since it seems to be the minimum size that can do almost any guitar building task. Going above 14 would of course be even better but as Rhoads mentioned, the prices start to really jump around that size.

If you are like most of us, you'll be hooked on building these things and might end up being pissed that you spent the money on a smaller bandsaw. So if you can get by without one for a while and save up for at least a 14", that's what I would do.

My bandsaw is probably my most used tool (other than my router) so I think it's worth saving up for a good one if you can.

I have a 14" JET bandsaw that I use a lot. It's great for everything but resawing. For that, supposedly, you need the riser block but I haven't tried that yet. I'm just not sure the 1 HP is enough to do the resawing job.

I resawed figured maple on my 3/4HP Delta 14" with a home-made riser. It worked fine. It uses standard 98" blades.

height.jpg

height2.jpg

This is great, i just built my first guitar and ive done the neck to my 2nd guitar already, im routing the body tomorrow, for now i concentrated to build ibanez pgm models, i bought a bandsaw and a hmmm dont know the english word for it but heres pics of the stuff i bought a few weeks ago, i payed $320 for it.

Bild001.jpg

Bild002.jpg

i bought a bandsaw and a hmmm dont know the english word for it

Bild001.jpg

Bild002.jpg

a jointer??

that's pretty cool! sounds like a great deal!

i'm getting my bandsaw tomorow, just thought i'd brag :D i'll post pics as soon as i get batteries for my cam