Neck blanks

I would like to pick up a few maple neck blanks to work on my building skills. The first 3 I got were from the bay but it looks kind of scarce there now. Does anyone have a source for some decent priced blanks. I do not have a planer/jointer so unfourtunately my local hardwood shop is out of the question. Thanks guys!

One of the best places to get wood is from Gilmer Wood Company. They are a little pricier but the wood is top quality. They have everything you need too. If you want discount woods you can ask for seconds or student grade material. It is usually just cosmetic *flaws* (uneven color, small knots that you can cut around, etc). Ask for Marc Culberston, he is a builder and runs the musical instrument woods department. He knows what to look for and will get you what you want.

Myka, that is a great site thanks!

I have to disagree here....I always write to marc culbertson when I need new wood and except for one case he never bothered to answer at all. I don't doubt that they have good wood, but reaching them per email is near to impossible in my expirience....for me not even answering does not speak for a great service....

Myka, that is a great site thanks!

I have to disagree here....I always write to marc culbertson when I need new wood and except for one case he never bothered to answer at all. I don't doubt that they have good wood, but reaching them per email is near to impossible in my expirience....for me not even answering does not speak for a great service....

they have a phone #

they have a phone #

:D What is your post good for except for making me look stupid? I am not too dumb to see their phone number on their page....

BUT:

1. That's no help for me as I would have to pay ridiculous prices to call from Germany to the USA

2. I prefer to do business by email and if a company does not respond at all, that's no indication for a company to offer good service -> there are enough other suppliers that have quality wood and answer their mails in 24 hours like lmii, stewmac, northridge, galleryhardwoods, etc. why deal with companies that do not treat you well?

they have a phone #

:D What is your post good for except for making me look stupid? I am not too dumb to see their phone number on their page....

BUT:

1. That's no help for me as I would have to pay ridiculous prices to call from Germany to the USA

2. I prefer to do business by email and if a company does not respond at all, that's no indication for a company to offer good service -> there are enough other suppliers that have quality wood and answer their mails in 24 hours like lmii, stewmac, northridge, galleryhardwoods, etc. why deal with companies that do not treat you well?

hey dude...the world doesn't revolve around you....i was telling the guy ASKING FOR HELP that he could call the phone # and it would be more dependable

get over yourself...

Wes....I usually agree with you and I can see where you are coming from with your critic. I appreciate you taking the time to moderate this forum in your free time and I know that mistakes happen, but as a moderator you should at least keep to the facts if you critisize a member.

Facts:

I warned the guy about gilmer not responding to emails and recommended other companies that answer fast and have the same quality of wood. You come in and think you "help" someone by telling that the company also has a phone number. In my opinion this helps nobody who has a brain at all, as it should be obvious that a company has a phone number and he already knows their website. If you would have posted the number then ok....but this way you only attacked me and helped nobody at all. Even if that was not your intention it looks that way to me. Even if I am completely overreacting, you have to agree that every post made by you and tsl in this thread helps jay nothing at all....I think this is not the right way for a mod to contribute to a forum....a PM would make much more sense....

If i cant contact a company by email, they dont get my business. I want to ask questions IN MY TIME, not stick to general office hours, or stay up until 3am so i can call them (im in Aust.). Guitarmaestro has got every right to be upset with Gilmers responce.

Taking weeks to answer emails doesnt mean they sell **** products, but it says to me they are either grossly inefficient and short staffed, or simply dont care. Either way, i have to question the ability of a company, to satisfy me once ive handed over my dollars.

As for lack of emails, LMII cost me a lot of grief in the past month because they didnt email to say some items were out of stock. Instead, they sent everything i DIDNT want (just package fillers to make up a $300 order), and nothing that i DID want. Im now a month behind on three jobs, because they couldnt respond with a short email. Not only am i pissed at LMII, but my customers are pissed with me. ALL BECAUSE of a lack of email communications.

As for lack of emails, LMII cost me a lot of grief in the past month because they didnt email to say some items were out of stock. Instead, they sent everything i DIDNT want (just package fillers to make up a $300 order), and nothing that i DID want. Im now a month behind on three jobs, because they couldnt respond with a short email. Not only am i pissed at LMII, but my customers are pissed with me. ALL BECAUSE of a lack of email communications.

I hate it when big companies do that. I had Harbor Freight do me that way. I made one order and they ended up sending me stuff one at a time. I had to pay shipping on each item seperately. It was really stupid, they should have told me the items was out of stock in the first place. So I'll never order anything from them again on the internet, I'll just go to their local store where I can see it's in stock and walk out with it the same day. Also, as much as people put down Stew Mac, they do have excellent service and sometimes it's better to pay a little more if you know your gonna get your stuff on time and will have great customer support if something is wrong. I like the way their web page is set up also. It will let you know before you even order if something is out of stock.

Wes....I usually agree with you and I can see where you are coming from with your critic. I appreciate you taking the time to moderate this forum in your free time and I know that mistakes happen, but as a moderator you should at least keep to the facts if you critisize a member.

Facts:

I warned the guy about gilmer not responding to emails and recommended other companies that answer fast and have the same quality of wood. You come in and think you "help" someone by telling that the company also has a phone number. In my opinion this helps nobody who has a brain at all, as it should be obvious that a company has a phone number and he already knows their website. If you would have posted the number then ok....but this way you only attacked me and helped nobody at all. Even if that was not your intention it looks that way to me. Even if I am completely overreacting, you have to agree that every post made by you and tsl in this thread helps jay nothing at all....I think this is not the right way for a mod to contribute to a forum....a PM would make much more sense....

you sure get upset alot...my intention is only to say that in my experience,you always get better customer service over the phone...get off your high horse...i am not speaking as a mod,i am speaking as a member...i rarely speak as a mod,and when i do it is pretty obvious

and as far as "helping...do YOU really want to critisize MY help? :D

I recently ordered a custom laminated neck blank (nice as I too lack planer/jointer) for my first guitar project ever from lumberlady.com. I chose the slower of the shipping options though so it can take a while til I get my wood. Anyone here have any previous experience of ordering wood for guitar projects from them?

Anyhow, the lady who runs the business has been immensly helpful when answering my e-mails (and several times taking less time to answer then it took for me to write my initial e-mails :D).

hey maestro...just forget about it...like i said my intention was to help the original poster,not respond to you...

i am not going to get into a big flame war here...that is why alot of people have stopped posting help in the first place.i know that all you guys taking offense at nothing has stopped me from responding with help nearly as much as i used to.

anyway....who cares...gilmer has good wood...lmii recently took 3 months to send me fretboards...everyone's experience differs

I just looked through Gilmers site, and they have some interesting woods, some nice wood, but their prices are very high, specifically on fingerboard blanks.

As for the email issues, I run into that with LGM Guitars, only reason is I am a one man operation, and sometimes just dont' have the energy to answer emails. However, all emails will be answered within a week. I try to do better than that, but sometimes after spending 12 hours in a paint booth the last thing I want to do is sit at the computer LOL :D

No Problem Wes....as I said before I don't doubt your ability as a mod and I don't doubt that you try to help as much as possible. Your original answer CAN definately be misunderstood, but I admit I overreacted. So let's forget about it....

Concerning LMII:

I had NOTHING but trouble with them during my last two orders, they always answered my emails in time, but as with rhoads they shipped alot of incomplete orders without informing me at all. Then 3 month after I ordered my fingerboard they contacted me and told me that my order was not executed properly and the fingerboard came back from radiusing too short and I would have to wait another month....As I complained and asked if they could sell me some mop dots in smaller quantities than usual to make up for the fingerboard thing, they refused to do that. Does anyone know what happened to lmii? Is there a change of ownership? I remember when I started to order from them their service and kindness was unmatched and now it seems as if they piss of alot of customers and don't care....

Anyhow, the lady who runs the business has been immensly helpful when answering my e-mails (and several times taking less time to answer then it took for me to write my initial e-mails ).

The lady there is extremely helpful both in email and on the phone.

A_M: How much did the blank cost (if I may ask that)? What woods? I was thinking about getting a lam blank but I didn't know where to go for it.

A_M: How much did the blank cost (if I may ask that)? What woods? I was thinking about getting a lam blank but I didn't know where to go for it.

Prices for stock necks and custom necks are listed here: http://yumahardwoods.homestead.com/guitarneck.html

I had to pay a bit more for mine though due to larger than average dimensions (7-string, 27" scale length, through-neck and thicker-than-average body). Not exactly cheap but being a n00b with limited access to tools (and limited woodworking experience) I value the ability to get a glued up, planed and whatnot blank fairly high.

My neck's gonna be a five-piece with jarrah in the center, then thinner strips of argentine walnut (darker than your average north american black walnut), and bubinga on the outside.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Maestro, are you seriously looking for a flame war here? It appears so to me, and I advise against such. If a flame war or pissing contest is what you are after, the slam thread is what that is for.

BTW. LMI always communicates clearly with me, and have never screwed up an order on me.

I do not have a planer/jointer so unfourtunately my local hardwood shop is out of the question. Thanks guys!

I don't see the connection? Jointers/planers are one way of surfacing wood, but they aren't the only way - carpenters managed for several thousand years before somebody came up with these labour savers. Learn to use a plane, or setup a router jig for thicknessing/dimensioning.

I can post my router jig if it helps...