Nut Width

daveq

What width do you prefer?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I know this is really just what feels best and what fits your hand best but I'm curious how many people use the different widths. I spent most of my life using an Ibanez neck which I think is 1 11/16 (close to it anyway) but I also have a 1 5/8 that feels good to me also. Never tried a 1 3/4.

I thought my '93 Strat Plus and my '96 American Standard Strat are both 1 5/8", as is the Mighty Mite replacement neck I used on one I built from parts. All the new models appear to be 1 11/16". Maybe I just can't measure!

fatter is better to me, though on my bass, it's a slim neck, so i guess that doesn't make much sense...guitar though, i like a lot of space to play, with a relatively straight neck (not much difference between string spacing). classicals play brilliantly to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've learned and played on 1 5/8", but then I played a Jackson RR3 with a 1 11/16" nut, and i like it so much better, the extra spacing seems to leave so much more room for bends with a reduced chance of tapping that "other" string with your fingernail or something.

seriously for my large fingers, the small nut of a strat is pissing me off, imposibile to do finger picking songs without hitting the nearest string (at least for me)

yeah, i think the strat nut is too tight also... big fingers! :D

Mike