My Tribute to SRV

Here is my tribute.

Same specs, got the stickers off some guy on ebay, paid 25 bucks for them,

srv pickups, bought the warmoth neck to get the correct pao ferro fretboard???

lockin gold tuners.

added my varitone switch to get some cool tones.

this was my first experiment at aging a body. worked ok, I know that #1 is a sunburst, but dont have that equipment.

srv1.jpg

srv2.jpg

hehehe, cool :D all you need is a left handed bridge and it would look like the real thing. Stevie's sunburst was so scratched you could barely tell it was a sunburst anyways. :D

Can you believe that Fender took the exact specs of all the nics, scratches and burn marks off Stevie's #1 and replicated it for a limited run. It was at the NAMM show selling for.....$30000! :D:D For that kinda cash the damn thing shoulda had SRV's blood and sweat and channel his soul into the player! B)

I hate relic'ed instruments as a rule, and usually have little to say about them (it's a personal decision :D )

But I actually like that one you've got there. For some reason, it doesn't look like you were trying to copy or replicate anything in particular there (except for the stickers)

You know the only thing I don't like about it?

The big SRV stickers on it. Pull that bullshit crap off of there (they were HIS initials, not yours) ...and stick BIG D on there, and be yourself, loud and proud.

I think BIG D is a very bluesy sounding name and it would 'work' on that guitar.

I mean, if I happened to catch your (blues?) band some Saturday night somewhere in Anytown, USA, and I saw those SRV letters on your guitar, I would probably laugh at you and not take your band seriously at all.

I mean that. Having someone else's initials on your guitar tells me something about you. I don't think any guitarist worth his/her own salt would slap someone else's initials on their guitar. I think it's a sign that you don't think you're that good to deserve to stick your own initials on your guitar.

I understand it's a tribute guitar and all that, but screw that tribute stuff, make it YOURS! :D

If you had BIG D on there, I would think it's cool and give you a listen, because you were being yourself. B)

If Stevie had had EC, or ALBERT on his guitar, you know how stupid that would have looked? :DB):D

And besides, if Stevie were alive today, or if he were watching down (up? B) ) from wherever, do you think he'd rather you have his initials on your guitar, or see you practicing and playing your blues as fiercely as he did? I think he'd smile much more watching you make that guitar YOUR personal weapon of da blues....dig?

I mean, as a copycat SRV strat, I'd give it a 4 maybe.

But as a BIG D beat-up worn-in strat, I'd give it a 10. That guitar deserves it's own personality stamp, not some copycat stuff, I think it devalues an otherwise great guitar having SRV on it.

PS, I mean all this in a good-natured way, I'm not dissing your guitar, I would just like it much better if you slapped your own insignia on it rather than someone elses. B)B)

I get you drak :D

Maybe im going over the top, but thats why i would never buy a artists signature guitar... like even though he acts like a woman im a big fan of kirk hammett and i think his "caution: hot!" signature ESP is really cool, but i would rather just buy a plain old ESP instead and make it my own, instead of having a guitar which is just a copy of the things kirk did to the guitar to make it his own... if that makes any sense

cool SRV guitar though! hope it sounds as good as it looks

Spankin' good job.

I think no matter WHAT letters you put there instead of SRV, people will still know that it's an SRV tribute, which still leaves 2 sides to the argument--

1. People will know it's a tribute and will know where you're coming from, so you can put your own initials on there and people will still know who you're tipping your hat to.

2. If people already know it's a tribute to SRV, they might think it's lamer or pretentious to do it with your own initials, and would find it more credible that you're owning up to the tribute by using his initials.

I'm kind of more persuaded by Drak's argument, but I can see the other side, too. As a rebuttal to #2, though-- pretentious?? Aren't ALL guitarists just egos with legs? :D

Greg

Those Graphtech saddles? :D

When you say SRV pick-ups do you mean Fender Texas Specials from the Fender sig strat?

If so then if you get a chance check out a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless.

I went with the Noisless after a side by side with the Texas Specials. The neck in particular had a more Stevie sound than the Special's did and sounded a little hotter too.

Surprised me since the Specials are in the SRV sig strat.

Anyways, I agree with 'making the guitar your own' thing but it's not like it's your only guitar build so for a one-of-many project I think it's cool and if your gonna show tribute to anyone then I totally respect that you chose SRV. COOL! B):D

I like it, man.. Gotta go with the lefty trem, though.. :D

Just as an aside, I'm going to stick up for my owning (and loving) SRV Sig. Strat.. I don't feel any shame in playing it (even with the SRV initials on the pickguard) simply because when I step out on stage, it's my own sound that'll be coming out of the guitar, not some half-baked SRV imitation.. I loved the feel and sound of the guitar and that's why I bought it.. Incidentally, I wasn't a fan of SRV until some months after I'd bought the guitar.. Again, I bought it 'cause it's got a unique feel and what I felt was a great blues tone.. Maybe once I have the guts, I'll change out the pickguard but that remains to be seen.. </rant> B)

It's the normal one, by the way, not the $30000 one..

The big SRV stickers on it. Pull that bullshit crap off of there (they were HIS initials, not yours) ...and stick BIG D on there, and be yourself, loud and proud.

I think BIG D is a very bluesy sounding name and it would 'work' on that guitar.

Amen....

john mayer's replaced the scratchplate on his srv sig with a tortoiseshell one, and it looks great. if i were to play it at home with no one watching (which is pretty much all the time, although i really wish it was a srv sig) i'd leave the initialled scratchplate, but for gigging i'd do the same as john mayer. either way, it wouldn't change how bad i play.

I mean that. Having someone else's initials on your guitar tells me something about you. I don't think any guitarist worth his/her own salt would slap someone else's initials on their guitar. I think it's a sign that you don't think you're that good to deserve to stick your own initials on your guitar.

I guess I'll take the "Drak" Stickers off of my guitar now :D

Ack...my apologies if I hurt anyone's feelings..I was just trying to get a point across, probably went a bit overboard, I do that a lot y'know... :D

I really do love the guitar as it is, I just think it would be happier being it's own guitar instead of SRV''s guitar.

(Sung in my verrry best Patsy Cline pillow-talk voice):

'I'm ...sorry, sooooooooooooo sorrrry...' B)

when I built the guitar I thought about leaving the stickers off.

But then I said what the hell I really like the way that guitar looks. I have a lot of SRV stuff around my house so this haning on the wall is just kinda cool, to the untrained eye I get, "was that his guitar?" so its kinda funny.

Its a great sounding guitar, I opted out of the left trem only becuase I never use a trem. I went with the graphtech saddles cause they came with my freebie gold bridge. so all in all this was cheap to build only paid for the neck...

I am working on doing an inlay on a guitar that has Big D in it, but I am not that advanced yet.

Thank for all the comments.