Drop D

Anathema

well i wanted to know how to tune drop D someone told me on my korg tuner i can press the flat button 2 twice and then i just tune it. but i dont know if this is true. what im asking is tell me what the strings are suposed to be tuned too or if what ive been told is ture thanks

I have only ever done it one way since I started playing guitar, and in 13 years it hasn't failed me yet--

Playing the open 'D' string and the low 'E' string at the same time, and dropping pitch on the E string until it's exactly an octave lower. You get a free hand for the tuning peg, and a free hand to pluck the strings again as you need to. How much easier than that could it be? You'll still hear the 'beats' even though they're an octave apart, plus sometimes you will actually FEEL your guitar resonating more strongly as the octaved 'D' note locks in.

Greg

Tuning to a perfect 5th is another way to do it-- the ear can quickly identify that you're a fifth apart, so that's a good method, too.

Still, I think tuning to a perfect octave is sonically the most basic, and leaves the most hands free. To be honest, I don't understand why anyone would do it any other way unless they're using a machine.

Greg

what wes said, i dont get it!! lol

seriously, my friend says for drop d all you have to do, it get the top string perfectly tuned for standard, then just tuen the top string to the 4th fret off A string, that right? I never tried it though

Curtis

seriously, my friend says for drop d all you have to do, it get the top string perfectly tuned for standard, then just tuen the top string to the 4th fret off A string, that right?

wrong....that would make it c sharp....5th fret on the a string is d

i will try to explain what i said in my original post better

your guitar is in standard tuning...you take the low e string...fret it on 7th...then match it to the "a" string....get it?

that is not how i do it...i do it by ear...but for a beginner it is easier

tune the fourth and sixth string to the same pitch, excatly one octave apart, or strum the top two strings together the e and a string and tune the e to pitch as a fifth chord. ANy ways you like or screw around with a tuner for one note, in my opinoin is a waste of time unless you are tone deaf or in a recording studio where exact, exact pitch absolutly matters, all up to ya though,

Thrash on and stuff.

B):D

im still preaty confused :D i tryed a couple but just didnt sound right i guess. i think im doing something wrong. i know how much you all hate slipknot probally but just while your ragging on about them can you answer the question. there tuneing is B-F#-B-E-G#-C# and it also says drop D 1 1/2 steps down. can anyone tell me what all that means

I actually drop the bottom string by hitting a harmonic at the 7th fret andthen matching it up with the 12th fret of the A string (actually G for me, i play drop C)

its the same as wes's idea really but i prefer tuning by harmonics

im still preaty confused :D i tryed a couple but just didnt sound right i guess. i think im doing something wrong. i know how much you all hate slipknot probally but just while your ragging on about them can you answer the question. there tuneing is B-F#-B-E-G#-C# and it also says drop D 1 1/2 steps down. can anyone tell me what all that means

What they are doing in this case is tuning the entire guitar 1 and a half steps down ( three frets worth) and then dropping the low E string down an addition step ( two frest worth),, does tha help???

so what you are saying is the 6th string is being tuned down 2 1/2 steps down and the rest 1 1/2?

it is really simple....tune the whole guitar down to A,then drop only the top string to B

maybe you should buy a tuner...it will help you until you develop your ear