JamesRaven23

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out. There are two Ibanez

guitars for sale at a local pawn shop for $150 each. One is an Ibanez

RG320 guitar and the other is an RG220B. I'm not sure which model is

the better of the two. Does anyone know the difference? I'd really

appeciate your help.

Thank you,

James A

Let me start by saying i have not personally played either one, but i hope this helps you out br0!

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data.../RG220B-01.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...z/RG320-01.html

i find this site really helpful. Its got tons of reviews of almost every guitar ever made,(excpet most of the ones made here) and a lot of reviews on pickups! :D

I agree with BLS. Since it's a used guitar you should just play them both and decide which one feels the best, sounds the best and has the least amount of fret buzz. Watch out for worn saddles that could constantly break your strings (easily replaceable though if everything else seems OK).

I worry less about the look & features and more about the playability then anything else.

Thanks for the links novice, you guys have been really helpful. Hmm, but I'm still not completely certain which is the best because I'm not exactly sure which features are better i think one has v7 and v8 pickups while the other has invader pickups.. whatever that means. I've never actually played an electric guitar either so it would be tough for me to figure out the difference... damn I suck lol Oh well.. btw does a higher model number usually mean that a guitar is a better model?

Thanks again,

James

Each number represents an aspect of the guitar. for instance the diff between a 770 and a 570 is the inlay. between a 570, a 560, and a 550 is the p/up config.

however i dont know the exact difference between a 320 and a 220.

So i guess im no help at all

well for ibanez the numbers do represent different things. I *think* that the 3rd is usually the bridge, the second is the pickups, and the first is like how good it is. so, i would guess a 320 to be better than a 220

oh and if you don't really know how to play yet, have someone who does play go with you to try it. Don't base your decision on their reaction, but hold it and try to play a little yourself too.

I appreciate all the info guys. I ended up going with the RG320. It seems pretty cool, nice sound and it included a hardcase, all for a reasonable price. It has a few dings though but I can cover them with stickers or something. I'm sure I'll add a few more before I'm done with it anyway so it's no big deal I guess. Now all I have to do is learn to play the damn thing! lol

Thanks,

James

I like the look of dings! Battle scars! Stickers have their time and place I suppose, too, but I prefer dings! Anyhow, hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your geet-box.

Greg

For future reference. For Ibanez, each model has three numbers after it. The first number is the "level" of guitar, the second number is pickup configuration, the third number is bridge type.

The levels run from 100 - 1000 (The thousand levels are prestiege models and those seem to be fairly random).

Levels:

1 and (I believe) 2 are indonesian.

3 is korean

4 and above are Japanese

Caveat, pre-1997 4 series guitars are Korean. 97 and later 4 series guitars are made in Japan, but have a mix of features found on the higher level 5 series and lower level 4 series guitars.

Pickup configuration:

5 - Hum/Sing/Hum with a pickguard

7 - Hum/Sing/Hum, no pickguard

6 - Sing/Sing/ Hum

2 - Hum/Hum

Bridge:

0 - Trem

1 - Fixed

So, an RG520 is a double hum guitar with a trem made in Japan.

Recently Ibanez re-named their "5" series guitars as "Prestiege" models (which, previously had been available almost exclusively not in America). It works about the same.

A Prestiege 1550 is a Prestiege guitar, made in Japan, with H/S/H pickups mounted on a pickguard.

A 7621 is a Seven string guitar, made in Japan, with two hums and a fixed bridge.

A 7321 is a seven string guitar, made in korea, with two hums and a fixed bridge.

By the way, if you ever see an S520 Custom be aware that "Custom" does NOT mean the same thing in Japan as it does here. An S520 Custom is simply the top of the S range, it does not mean it was custom made, it is a mass produced guitar.

By the way, if you ever see an S520 Custom be aware that "Custom" does NOT mean the same thing in Japan as it does here. An S520 Custom is simply the top of the S range, it does not mean it was custom made, it is a mass produced guitar.

yeah i got one of those...not a 520 though...

sabre_0033.jpg

yeah i got one of those...not a 520 though...

sabre_0033.jpg

I've never actually seen an S560 Custom, but it would make sense.

My first real guitar was a Peavey Falcon Custom. Which, in Peavey parlance at the time meant "A Falcon with the neck and the bridge from a Nitro."

The levels run from 100 - 1000 (The thousand levels are prestiege models and those seem to be fairly random).

Levels:

1 and (I believe) 2 are indonesian.

3 is korean

4 and above are Japanese

Caveat, pre-1997 4 series guitars are Korean. 97 and later 4 series guitars are made in Japan, but have a mix of features found on the higher level 5 series and lower level 4 series guitars.

....My SA160qm was made in korea....

Feh

Back in the 80s Ibanez had a couple of 540 series guitars, the one that comes to mind first is the 540P, which is the guitar that Joe Satriani used before switching to the Radius/JS guitars I have NO idea how that number scheme works out. Also the original RG570s were called RG517s. That designation was changed to make the numbering convention more universal.

For the most part, tho, what I said above is accurrate for guitars sold in America.