Pics of Completed Bass

As promised, below are the images of the completed bass.

The bass is a 38" scale single cut/jazz bass.

Project pics of its construction can be found at

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=6728

The body is one pice of Spalted Curly Maple. The headstock facing and truss rod cover were also taken from this spalted blank.

The neck is a pieces of Mahogany/Maple

The headstock has wings of Padaouk on each side.

The fingerboard is made of Tulipwood with Hard Maple binding and Hard Maple inlay for the fret markers. The control knobs are also tulipwood.

The side dots are Walnut. The nut is Hard Maple.

The wood is finished with Waterlox high-gloss Original varnish. This is a tung oil /spar varnish mix that is commercially available. 6 coats of this were applied, sanding between each coat. The finish was then buffed back with 000 and 0000 steel wool. This removed the high gloss finish and gave a nice natural shine. 2 coats of paste wax were then applied after a few days rest.

The tuners are Sperzel locking tuners in black/gold.

The bridge is a Kahler adjustable unit also in black/gold. Since Kahler does not mix/match colors, I ordered a gold tail and had the baseplate powder coated black by a local shop.

The pickup is a custom wound Ken Armstrong.

The strings are DR High Beams. These are the only strings I have found which ar elong enough for the scale.

Thank all of you for your kind words during the build process. Now if I only knew how to play this thing.

-Wayne Lousteau (loosetoe)

complete-010.jpg

complete-008.jpg

complete-009.jpg

complete-013.jpg

complete-014.jpg

complete-016.jpg

complete-003.jpg

complete-004.jpg

Amazing.

Weren't we just looking at mock-ups of the prototype a week ago? :DB)

It really came together, and the final product looks even better than I imagined it wood (sic).

Greg

thats immense! but the strings look close to the edge?

I hadn't noticed, but you may be right. I'd be curious to see it from another angle, so that we can better judge if it's an illusion or not.

Greg

Naw no probelms with string width...the strings are 1/8 of an inch from the sides of the fretboard on each side.

And if they were too close, that's the beauty of the Kahler bridge as it is adjustable side to side as well as front/back. But again, not problems with the spacing thus far.

Here. This should put this controversy to bed

complete.jpg

Naw no probelms with string width...the strings are 1/8 of an inch from the sides of the fretboard on each side.

And if they were too close, that's te beauty of the Kahler bridge as it is adjustable side to side as well as front/back. But again, not problems with the spacing thus far.

cool

WOW! That is one spectacular work of art!! Simply amazing... You ought to be some kind of proud of that... Any chance you could post a few sound clips of her? Boggs

I've had bad experience with DR's though, how do you like those?

What kind of bad experience have you had? I have only had one bad set and emailed them and they sent me a new set right out.

Their new Black Beauties are excellent, by the way. :D

Say Primal,

Since you obviously have experience with the DR strings.

If you have one of them around, could you take a measurement for me?

Could you tell me how long one of the Black Beautys is from ball taper to nut taper?

I have a theory that all of their strings are a 40" scale. I ordered one of the Extra long scale sets and all of te part numbers were identical to the "normal" scale.

I am wondering as I would prefer to have flatwounds on here.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne