RG Project

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That top looks awsome, I don't know if called a flame or a quilt. The flames are so thick. Great buy...

I was wondering if it was classed as a quilt or flame, I haven't got a clue so if someone could tell me?? :D

Nice maple. Gonna paint it?

I want to keep it natural with a gloss laquer but I need to get praticing on my painting skills first :DB)

yes,keep it natural...i would hate to see that secondary grain(under the quilt) get lost in the staining

there is no need to use any type of oil under the laquer,and i don't reccomend it...

the "best" way to darken it slightly(if that is what you want to do...i wouldn't)is to use orange shellac as a sealer coat(it will not color it orange despite the name...it will only slightly amber it...how much depends on how thick you make the sealer coat)

and nitro laquer is perfectly compatible with shellac

talk to drak if you want a good second opinion

That top looks awsome, I don't know if called a flame or a quilt. The flames are so thick. Great buy...

I was wondering if it was classed as a quilt or flame, I haven't got a clue so if someone could tell me?? :D

i would call that quilt because i see no curl(the little tornado type figure)

to me quilt resembles water...flame resembles small tornados

• 2 weeks later...

I've started work on the Alder/Maple blank as I haven't brought a drill press/drum sanders to sand inside the curves on the Piranhna Pine body.

I decided to do the routing before cutting the body out, I attached guide rails to my router to keep nice straight lines, I didn't want to risk routing freehand on such nice wood :D

mapletop_neck_routed.JPG

Haven't had a lot of spare time in last couple of weeks, but this afternoon I finally got some more routing done. The neck route is finished, I've also routed the bridge pickup cavity and I've made a start on the neck pickup :D

first_routing_pic.JPG

Can I ask a quick question to you clever people out there... I understand about scale length and where to measure from etc, but where should my saddles be adjusted to get them to intonate properly? do I adjust them so they're about in the middle, closer to the neck, or further back? :D

Today I've finished the pickups and cut out the rough shape with my jigsaw, had a bit of a problem doing the upper horn, my jigsaw has a tilting base so you can cut angles and just as I was cutting the last part the jigsaw tilted slightly :D .... it got quite close to the line but didn't ruin anything B) time to tighten those bolts I think :D

pickup_routed.JPG

roughcut_outside.JPG

perry the wood shown on his guitar is still bookmatched...and still figured?

It might be bookmatched, but its not the face of the bookmatch (eg: the two faces that were made when the saw split the original block) thats showing, its the reverse. Therefore the grain doesnt meet correctly in the centre. Sure, it may not seem like much, but to me, that stands out.