hematite body finish

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, what i would like to know is if anyone has ideas or suggestions for achieving a hematite metallic finish to the body of a solid mahogany guitar, to get a shimmering mirroing effect.

I thought a similar process to 'gold-leafing' might be possible, perhaps getting a guilder to apply and then polish it up. My major hangups with this is the 'heat' involved, possibly burning the wood and drastically changing the tonal propeties of the body.

Mettalic paints are also another options but i really want it to shimmer under lights like chrome, not just reflect like a laquer.

Any ideas or comments would be great!

a company does metal plating on the net - www.gunsgirlsandguitars.com

dang the misleading name, just geetars!

basically you send a stripped body and they plate it for ya, in exchange for the green!

Mike

Is this the kind of finish you're looking for?

hems122.jpg

You could probably get really close with a fine silver flake or silver pearl under a

transparent or kandy black topcoat. Hopefully the experts will chime in here when they get time, but that's how I'd approach it.

Thanks for the link, ill check it out... here is an image of polished hematite glissening in under light to give you an idea of the shimmering effect i was talking about.

It is nothing like the glitter effect mentioned but i guess i should of included a visual in my first post!

hematite.jpg

i have some of that...i am going to (eventually) try to use it as inlay

Westhemann,

if you are going to use that for inlay you'll need a lapidarist to cut it and shape it. Normal jeweler's saws won't work- too hard, also when sanding it, it will take forever, so the wood around it will sand away while the stone just sits there.

In other words- I really, really, really doubt it will work.

I know of no synthetic hematite, like a recon stone version.

You may try inlaying it sub-wood, and using a clear filler over it, but that can get messy, and will look off.

Craig Lavin

Westhemann,

if you are going to use that for inlay you'll need a lapidarist to cut it and shape it. Normal jeweler's saws won't work- too hard, also when sanding it, it will take forever, so the wood around it will sand away while the stone just sits there.

In other words- I really, really, really doubt it will work.

I know of no synthetic hematite, like a recon stone version.

You may try inlaying it sub-wood, and using a clear filler over it, but that can get messy, and will look off.

Craig Lavin

it is already cut and shaped...they are "bagguetes"?(sp) and are quite shallow...

all i have to do is rout and epoxy them...i am saving them for a beast that is on hold right now...i am about 1/2 of the way through it (the guitar)

i would show you a picture but for some reason i can't find them