Crazy wiring ideads

Hardtailed

What's the point of building a guitar if you use standard wiring?

Post all your crazy ideas, whether you've tried them or not.

Here's mine:

1- Amp channel-switching guitar: Use a stereo jack and add a switch (or a push-pull) to your guitar and use it to change the channel on your amp. No need to be stuck around your footswitches anymore! (I'd love to do it, but I'm wireless so doesn't work...)

2- 2-pickups with juste one knob and no switch: for those who want the EVH kinda look: just one volume knob, nothing else, but like to have a neck pickup. Have the volume work on the neck pickup only, and use a push-pull which kills the bridge pickup. You can then have each pickup individually, blend them, or do the toggle switch rhytmic effect.

3- Regular Tele switching with a 3-pickup guitar: that one is pretty simple, it allows you to keep a 3 way switch for ease of use live and to keep that neck/bridge sound which you like, but while being able to get the Strat's 2nd and 4th position sounds. Simply use a push/pull to engage the middle pickup in parallel. Allows you to get all 7 sounds that a 3 pickup guitar has to offer. You can also use a second push-pull that engages the middle pickup in serie, by combining with the bridge pickup, it would give somewhat of a bridge humbucker tone.

I'll try to think of other ones.

1. I like pedals B)

2. I must have a tone, cant be left with my cheese in the wind :D

3. Used to have that on my Peavey Predator, before it got an Air Norton and a FRED.

I got a DP3T middle off switch, wired a .01 cap to one side, and a .22uf cap to the other, for a 2 flavor tone switch, middle tone off.

That was my crazy idea. But Im sure its been done. But I thought of it all by myself! :retard smiley:

ok one of my ideas is currently being built by a member on here, my little amp :D

another dream i've had was to wire a 3 way switch on a HH guitar like so...

1. bridge series, 2. 1 coil bridge series with 1 coil neck 3. neck series

but here's the kicker, have coil taps for each pickup that operate only in positions 1 and 3, doesn't matter what the push pull pot is doing... when you select the middle position you would always get the same thing.

if you look up the "high-cut/no-cut" thread, that's my dream, pretty much. a couple switchable tone circuits, only one pot for volume, a single coil on the neck, a humbucker on the bridge with each coil selectable, so you can have neck, neck+hum, neck+hum (inside coil), neck+hum (outside coil), hum, hum coil 1, hum coil 2. then with several preset tone options all run off switches (or switch if you wanna do something strat style), the possibilities w/ that thing would be endless.

mwahaha. pics of my strat and my friends Warmoth strat w/ this style elec's should be up within a coupla months.

Ok this might be a little hard to invision but you know the multi color leds used on some VU meters where Green of course is at the bottom then Yellow then Red. B)

Anyway I want 6 strips of them and I mean the really small ones too with plenty of squares but the strips need to be 18 inches long and inlayed into a fret board so that when you hit a note you get the same little light show you see on your stereo or deck running up and down the neck. :D

I like to keep my crazy wiring 'hidden' so to speak.. Have the guitar look stock but then keep one or 2 little secrets 'under the hood'.. B)

1) This one I'm doing on a LP style guitar I'm in the process of dreaming up.. Stock 2 humbucker, 3-way switch, 2 volume, 2 tone layout with 4 options for each humbucker: 1) series, 2) parallel, 3) north coil split, 4) south coil split.. Add the fact that you can have both humbuckers in parallel courtesy of the 3-way switch, and you've got a whole bunch of selections on a stock looking ax..

2) I've always wanted to have an little indicator, like a small light or LED, which would change colours for each pickup selection.. Dunno, just thought it'll be cool.. :D

Have you guys seen the pickguard tuners? A strat came in the shop the other day with one on it. You could barely tell anything was different. I heard the company that built them went of business. I would have bought one just for fun.

2) I've always wanted to have an little indicator, like a small light or LED, which would change colours for each pickup selection.. Dunno, just thought it'll be cool.. :D

That would look pretty wicked...

Okay, so my bass has a side jack and active EMG pups. What I want to do is install a second jack, right next to the first, but insert from inside a big red LED, and then fill flush on the outside with clear epoxy. NOW, wire the LED into the 18V active power line (2 batteries).

Since the stereo jack acts as a switch for the active power so as to not waste the batteries, whenever the cord is plugged into the jack, the LED turns on, and when you unplug it, it turns off!! Cool, huh?

Well, actually it's completely pointless, but I like it, and you can't take that away from me, Dammit!!! :D

To take a 3-set of these split-coil pups (Seymour Duncan special order), 5-way switching with push-pull for neck-on, then mini 3-way toggles to select bass coil, both, or treble coil for each set individually. Would give a gajillion combinations (e.g. neck-bass, mid-both, bridge-treble all together).

Hellecaster.jpg

If there's someone out there who's good at math, maybe you can give me the equation to calculate how many possible combinations there would be... :D

If there's someone out there who's good at math, maybe you can give me the equation to calculate how many possible combinations there would be... B)

It was driving me nuts, so I went & figured it out.

For each position alone (neck, mid, bridge), you have bass coil, treble coil, or both is 3^1=3.

That's 9 for the 1-3-5 positions.

For the 2-4 positions (neck+mid, mid+bridge) and push-pull (bridge+neck) each have 3^2=9.

That's 27.

For the "all pups on" you have 3^3=27.

That's 63 combinations total. :D

k, everyone got started talking about LED's and crazy things to do with 'em, and it inspired me.

this would probably really freaking hard to do, then again, maybe not. but think of a mackie sound board. on the right side (or middle for big boards) they have all the group controls, master volume, etc, and the little LED strip for how many dB's you're pushing. maybe not in dB's, but have that same little LED meter happening on the guitar somewhere, the louder it is, the higher up the meter it goes. when natural gain starts to bite, have it go into the red, so it distorts, which is what happens on the mackies. overload = distortion.

ha ha. i like it. i'm gonna do some research on that, now.

What's the point of building a guitar if you use standard wiring?

Because it's simple. Most "guitar players" need to learn to play before they get endless pickup combinations. Simplicity leads to discipline and that leads to great playing. No way around it.

I love all your ideas(those split pickups are a must try). Some I've tried and others are new to me and I'll try most of them eventually. Thanks.

Hardtailed

amp switching guitar will work with a wireless.

moojiefulagin

"Oh yeah, i had an idea. Laugh if you must. a one string guitar with a single coil pickup running lengthwise along the string. six poles on one string! "

this has been done too.. pretty cool sounding.

so since i am here i will throw a couple of things out.

what about a guitar that will switch your effects and pickup settings at the touch of a switch.

[done]

one humbucker and one single .

standard three way lespaul switch. secret switch in back to combine the split single coil mode with regular single coil either humbucker style or parrallel normal

use passive pickups and a small current amplifier. and a coil of wire around the magnet to change the pull of the magnet. this affects the tone of the pickups similar as placing a magnet on an inductor in a wah pedal. lets you vary such things as a thin or fat pickup and even a stutering tremolo type sound if you do it just right.

utilizing the middle pickup as a inductor for the tone knob.

...utilizing the middle pickup as a inductor for the tone knob.

Or how about just switching a set of caps in series with the ground lead to make a varitone notch response? That needs some exploring... :D

actually i sent that to brian some time ago as a tutorial but he is like crazy busy.. too bad though i lost all sorts of stuff after the computer crash that i sent so i don't have anymore.

my favorite is the 100 ohm resistor piggybacked with a 120pf-220pf capacitor. i use that on all my guitars.

Not sure how crazy this is, it's just Bill Lawrence's standard Tele wiring. The diagram below is a little hard to read but it's two pups, five way switch, one volume, two tone with a push pull bridge pot to flip between tone and Q-filter. I love this setup.

Switch positions are:

1. Neck

2. Bridge/neck

3. Bridge

4. Bridge/neck 1/2 out of phase

5. Neck with 10% less low end

jimswiring.jpg