Thoughts

Hey, first of all I want to say this site is Awesome!

Now, I've been thinking a lot about building my own guitar for some time now. However, with my limited funds ( I'm 16, have about 400 bucks but im getting a job this summer) its hard for me to find things that I can reasonably afford, since I would like to build a JEM style body with AANJ and a Floyd Rose Type Bridge. I've been looking to alternatives to cut the price down, like a hardtail and building everything myself (my dad has a nice workshop setup, and he's quite a good woodworker), but as I do that the appeal of the project goes down as well.

Then, I remembered Ed Roman's site and that he has a Kit of Original Ibanez parts. It's it looks to be a RG body with AANJ, TRS trem, and it comes with everything I'd need to put a guitar together for 300 dollars.

kit guitar

This seems like a good buy to me, as I could use the RG to JEM tutorials on this site (grip, lion's claw, jack, maybe the fret scallop) and then refinish it, probably Material top and solid color back and sides (I love the swirl, but how much experience would this take to get any good results?).

Has anyone here dealt with Ed Roman? He seems to run a good business, high quality control, but somewhere I think I heard not real good things about him.

Anyways, this route seems like it would be a better way for me to get into guitar building, and stay away from so many precise tasks on the first try, while ending up with a nice looking, probably well playing guitar. However, I think anything could beat out my GSA20 (although I just put in a sweet Duncan Custom Custom that I got for my birthday :D ).

I'd like to know what people think of this, rather than constructing everything on my own.

Thanks a lot.

i think many people don't like his opinions on foriegn guitars or the use of body filler.i have heard people say negative things but as they don't say why i don't know how much credit to give to that.my opinion is he has a good website and has obvious pride in his business,his guitars,and his country.but i think you will hear a different viewpoint from others on this topic.having said that though i think that is too much to pay for that kit guitar as you can get a japanese made(thats the good one)rg 550 for $380 at music 123 if memory serves.and it comes ready to play.back to the opinion of ed roman though,if anyone has an example of why he is not a good person i would like to hear it as i one day may purchase a quicksilver guitar from him.he does have an awesome website and you can learn alot by reading through it.

Ed Roman is a funny guy and good businessman. He's very detail oriented and very out-front with his personal views about guitars. He goes a little to far, in my opinion, but in a good way .He can't stand a guitar to have plastic pickup mounting rings and usually changes plastic ones to metal on guitars he sells. He's also quite extreme about what he thinks is the best neck-to-body attachment method. I wouldn't be afraid to do business with him. Many years ago he was having seminars about how to run a music equipment business. He charged a fee for it, but when I asked him about the course, he basically said I probably had enough common-sense to already know what he teaches in the course and that the course was for people who didn't have that common-sense.

Ok, I just looked at the kit on your link and that looks like a good way to go. The guitar would actually be an Ibanez and that is a big help if you ever want to sell it. I'm quite sure Ed Roman isn't a con-artist like Dan Torres, so it's probably a good and safe buy.

But, I always have to say it's better to get something used and fix it up. More fun too, in my experience.

Well, that's a surprise to hear and I'll be careful to check out what others are saying before I do business with Roman. Any negative comments about him have gotten by me, so far.

His shop does repairs for some famous guitar players and he doesn't seem to be out to get money anyway he can, like Torres does. I guess I've seen several "hints" that he's honest, but haven't had hardly any experience dealing with him.

You've got me curious about this and I'll try to find out more about negative claims against him.

Maybe he's like Steve Angela. Some people take it very personal when Steve can't take much time to answer a specific question. They are right to be mad, coz I wouldn't expect anyone to like it when they inquire about my services and I would act like that.

As far "cheap knock-offs", Ibanez better get after him if he's selling fake "ibanez" necks.

Scott is right; Buyer beware

all i know is he says right on his web page that he doesn't reccomend those parts and that he does consider them cheap imitations of the real thing(handmade guitars).consider this;you run a business providing top quality replacement parts(handmade)for guitars such as ibanez.you believe that the necks,bodies,pickups,etc.that you sell are much better than what originally came with the guitar,but once you have upgraded these guitars you have all those parts you just replaced sitting around,perfectly serviceable but not up to your standards.what do you do with them.you sell them very cheaply to people who can't afford the top quality lines.the only other choice is to throw them away.i have several duncan desighn pickups sitting around right now that i don't consider good for anything.ed roman sells pickups he pulls out of some guitars for $5 apeice just to get rid of them.somebody out there wants them.i just bought a fernandes revolver pro for $380 bucks which i consider a piece of junk now that i have played it for a while.did the music store i bought it from rip me off?no.did fernandes for making a guitar that beginners could afford but which for me was just an impulse buy because i liked the sustainer pickup?no.but i bet you that some other people would say yes and would trash the store for selling it to them.my advice is this;if you want a cheap beginner ibanez kit to learn to play on,buy it and don't complain when it's not the same quality as a $3000 custom instrument.bottom line,is that a real ibanez?yes.is it a cheaply built ibanez with inferior parts?yes.but i bet if you called him and asked him those same questions he would tell you the truth about it.why do i say this?because if you read the whole website you will see that he says the very same things in his rants about ibanez.but rather than throw them away he sells them to people who want them.just look at the size of the man's business and the quality of the work on his handmade instruments.i can see that lgm does top notch work.superb in fact and better than 99%of what else is out there.but i bet someone who doesn't like him personally might say different just to slam him.some people would rather blame another for their mistakes than admit it was their own.

this is in no way meant to disrespect lgm or anyone else.i have all the respect in the world for your work and knowledge of finishing.i only mean to make the point that if 100 people told you that your best friend,girlfriend,or neighbor were a loser,would you believe it just because someone said it or would you form your own opinion based on your experiences?i respect everyone elses opinion but not as much as my own.

peace

Ed roman got his ass kicked at NAMM and no one did a thing bout it....so that should give you an idea of how he is thought of in the biz....Id say get a kit from brian but those are strat and tele kits you could always just surf ebay

Rich :D

For what it's worth, and you might get a kick out of this, at NAMM2003, Ed literally got hit by a pissed off customer, he literally walked up to him and smoked him.

He was also up on copyright charges or something for copying the EVH Kramers.

My advice, stay away, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Actully LGM i spoke with the guy that did it lol He kicked ed squarley in the ass fist then came up behind him and knocked the wind outta him and was messing with him i guess ed was quite a confused leperachaun and his wife thought it was funny...im still cussing they didnt take pics or have a video cam!!

BTW lol he wasnt even a customer!!! just hated ed and wanted revenge for everyone lol

I really dont approve of Ed Roman very much...He is a salesman threw and threw and says anything to sell HIS stuff over the real thing. I have hated him since I read a article he wrote saying he no longer will sell G&L strat replacement bodys because they were routed for "pool" routings or, where they route out a big area for whatever pickups you want...And then went on to say that ment the quality was going downhill...Im sure G&L would route a guitar body like that if it wasnt clearly said SSS pickups if they were making bodys...G&L is still the best bang for the buck strat out there I think and without Leo they havnt changed so damnit...Ed can take it up the butt as far as im concerned....

Actully LGM i spoke with the guy that did it lol He kicked ed squarley in the ass fist then came up behind him and knocked the wind outta him and was messing with him i guess ed was quite a confused leperachaun and his wife thought it was funny...im still cussing they didnt take pics or have a video cam!!

BTW lol he wasnt even a customer!!! just hated ed and wanted revenge for everyone lol

I read that it was simply a kick up the arse, from behind obviously, and thats about it. He didnt have the guts to reveal his name (used a false name tag). Quite childish when you think about it.

just my 2 cents but i dislike the swimming pool under the pickgaurd too.it takes wood away from where you need it most for tone.fender also does this.a friend paid $800 for a usa fender and it was done this way.he was very unhappy.the old fenders and g&ls everyone loved were not swimming pool models.not taking up for roman but i agree on this one.play 2 of them side by side and you will be very upset with the difference in sound quality.

one thing about ed roman that ive come to realize......everyone says to stear clear because he rips you off.....i have yet to actually meet anyone ripped off by him.....charging high prices isnt ripping someone off.....if you dont like his prices, i say just move along and keep your mouth shut......he once told me his philosophy on his pricing, it was something like "if its rare and hard to find, ill charge way over top dollar...if its something that anyone can get, i gaurentee ill be the lowest priced" somewhere there is someone willing to pay a kings ransom for something......and believe me, ed will find him.....nothing wrong with that

what i have a problem with he is willing to fake anything and allegedly did so often......

non related p.s.

absolutely no one has ever been sued or gotten into copywrite trouble over evh paint job.....like most of this thread, that is all rumor

Well, thanks a lot for all the responses and the link to the jemsite thread - I've decided I definitely don't want to deal with this guy. His site looks nice, but I don't want to take any chance of getting some bogus guitar and dealing with a retard.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want to do now - I don't have the money or much desire to buy one of the nice, Japanese made RG5xx's and cut it up, even though I'd rather have it be like a JEM. I know the better RG's come with the edge trem, but I was thinking a TRS would be fine as I haven't used a locking bridge before and have nothing to compare it to. As I said, right now all I have guitar-wise is my GSA20, and I don't want to buy a much nicer one to take chances in ruining it. I'm thinking that I might buy the RG5xx and use it to along with my other one, and trace the body, etc to get all the right measurements for building my own. It will be more expensive, but I'll spread it out over some time. And I think that having a job will present me with (hopefully) more money than I can think of things to reasonably spend it on.

just keep in mind that if you want to use a tremelo then you want the most stable one you can find,but if you don't want to use a tremelo then you don't want it on your guitar no matter how good it is.tremelos are a huge hassle.everytime you change strings,everytime you change the tuning on your guitar you will hate it.the only reason to have one is to use it.once you learn to use it you will love it and won't be able to live without it.i have 3 of them just so i can keep them set up at different tunings pluss i have one fixed bridge which i use to figure out songs because it's much easier to tune to an album.ibanez just put out a line of fixed bridge super strats so

check it out

so vh-guitar store,you sound like you have met him,what is your opinion of his honesty as far as his quicksilver and scorpion guitars go?i still think the scorpions are a great alternative to ibanez as they are no more expensive than the top of the line models but are much more made to order.just once in my life i would like to have a really superb guitar.in my 12 years of playing i have never played a guitar that was up to my standards.ibanez is o.k. but you only have two choices;mahogany or basswood.it's wise to listen to what other people say but i have to wonder how unbiased people are going to be on an ibanez oriented forum when mr.roman is the most outspoken critic of ibanez.for the record when i reworked my schecter(which mr.roman warns against)i took my neck off and found that the fit was so poor at the neck pocket that at the factory set up they used a piece of 220 grit sandpaper(yes sandpaper)as a neck shim on the side to make it fit tighter.my wife's esp f 100;same bad fit but in front of the neck this time.these are low end guitars to be sure but they cause me not to recommend these brands of guitars to any of my friends,even though i am sure the top of the line esp's are better but,when you have to order a custom guitar for upwards of $3000 which you will never see until you have already put at least 1/2 down,it makes you cautious.

ive met him and ive talked to him several times..........i dont like his prices so i wouldnt buy anything from him....i dont need to do business with him, so i dont....i also dont know that id trust his so called guitar lines as being as good as they are.....ed's opinion is based on his investment in a product.....most of those guitars are made by local small time luthiers that he found and talked into doing business with..all the paint jobs are done by GMW....thats why everything is so expensive, its all outsourced.....and who knows if any of it is korean or vietnamese