Jehle's Vee Project

Did a lot more work on the V this weekend. B)

The body front has a Nigerian Satinwood veneer on it now...

pg4-veneer7.jpg

And the neck rear has been planed, scraped, and sanded to this point. I made this neck the way that Robert Benedetto describes in his book. I cut out the profile of the neck from a piece of maple, glued those together, and then spent a lot of time smoothing the laminates to get the right shape out of it. And yes, the truss rod route is slightly off center, about 1/16". :D

pg4-headstockprecut3.jpg

pg4-headstockprecut4.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Jehle, keep those pictures coming, can't wait to see how this turns out.  Are you going for transparent finish like some have suggested?

like this?

Thanks! It's been fun and a challenge at the same time.

It will be some form of transparent finish. Probably not the black and white Schenker paint job. Given the fact that the Satinwood turns such a deep amber when it is finished, I'm very tempted to do a cherry burst, or a tobacco burst.

Looks nice so far, got a shot of the top of the body with the veneer on? I guess that as long as the truss rod works propertly, a t.r. cover will hide the imperfection. If you plan to leave it uncovered I think that opening the right side a little bit will make it almost invisible.

Looks nice so far, got a shot of the top of the body with the veneer on? I guess that as long as the truss rod works propertly, a t.r. cover will hide the imperfection. If you plan to leave it uncovered I think that opening the right side a little bit will make it almost invisible.

That's a very good point. I do plan on covering that area with a small truss rod cover. And, I was also going to veneer the front of the headstock to have it match the body too.

If I wasn't going to do all that, I would do what you suggested. Not sure why I didn't think of that already in fact.

I don't have a picture of the full front yet. I'm going to take another picture once I get the routing done so I'll post that one (later this week?). It should start really looking like a guitar then.

With the figured top, there is no way I'm going to put a pickguard on the top of it. The inline knobs and toggle position are perfect too. :D

Ditto! Got some quilt for mine!

Just a quick peek of the body and neck (with veneer added on headstock). Now it's time to shape up the neck and route the body. :D

pg4-lookingood.jpg

Wow Jehle, I am really liking that guitar. Nice choice on the satinwood for the veneer. With the burst or whatever you choose to go with that will look kickin'. You can tell you are taking your time with this too, your work is very clean. Looking forward to the finished product!